Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
reasons this is NOT a netbook:
Vista
Not low enough power CPU
Screen resolution I would actually like

Just because they managed to make a cheap notebook that also has too few USB ports and no optical drive does not mean its a netbook. Even if it is small, wait, its not - macbooks are this size too (I only use the M word because they are the most common laptops at this size, other companies prefer 15.4" for the most part)

Luker3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I don't think it matter what OS it is running. It is more important to judge a netbook by its capabilities/power requirements. While a semperon isn't flexing too much muscle, it isn't quite like was the Atom is, which is what defines netbooks right now.

mavroxur

Distinguished
I don't quite understand. Basically, they took a notebook from two years ago (something powered by a Sempron Mobile) re-labeled it, and now call it a netbook? It's 13+ inches, comes with Vista, and sports a regular HDD. It even looks like a 3000-series Acer Aspire in a way.

If it looks, feels, smells, and tastes like a notebook, it's a notebook.

Luker3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
[citation][nom]chuenl[/nom]From what I found, AMD Sempron could run as low power as 8 or 9 watts. So, I don't think they are overpowering.Take a look at these links:http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32262/135/http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Sh [...] ku=8409249http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/co [...] 34134A.pdf[/citation]

If that is the one they are using then it is a good choice. Now I am going to have to go look at some benchmarks to compare with Atom.

G

Only 3 hrs of battery. Otherwise nice looking device! Probably loads better to play basic games on than my Intel GMA laptop.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Loads of people don't want to call it a netbook because of the display size. Probably right. Let's call it something else then, but the product is attractive to some people. My mom wanted a netbook, but couldn't find herself buying one as they all come with tiny screens. A 13" screen might be the solution to her needs. If the pricing is reasonable, and availability is there, I might give her one of these for her birthsday next month.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Of course, the screen size also begs as to exactly what sort of size of keyboard it comes with. (from the pics, I can't be sure if it's 100% or 95% size) It's true that this is a little on the wide side to be a netbook, but perhaps it's lighter than a notebook; remember the weight is a factor here. However, 1.8 kg is a tad heavy for a netbook, which was originally defined by the 0.9 kg Eee 700. I'm not sure if I'd really call it a notebook, though, as those done seem to come under 2.0-2.5 or so.

As far as power goes, a Sempron 200U most certainly ain't a mainstream chip; it's very clearly in the Atom realm, with an 8w TDP, and a clock rate of 1000 MHz. Probably even weaker than the lower-end Atom N270s you see packed into other netbooks. Similarly, the use of DDR2-400 also is definitely unlike a notebook, where you'd expect more proper DDR2.

All we really need to see now is the price. It's treading on a bit of thin ice by sticking us with what is clearly netbook-level horsepower, but coming bulkier than the market's common netbooks. If we get netbook-level pricing, (no more than $500-600US) I'm sure plenty will eye this as a good tradeoff of bulkiness for a screen big enough to use. But if it costs too much, it's just going to be a small notebook that does nothing terribly well.

Loads of people don't want to call it a netbook because of the display size. Probably right. Let's call it something else then

OK, let's call it a NUTbook, for the nutjobs who think it's a netbook :).

10" has been determined to be the sweet spot for netbooks.

Personally I'm waiting for the dual-core Atoms to become more available. That with 720P output will make for a really portable streaming video machine.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]10" has been determined to be the sweet spot for netbooks. [/citation]
That is only the case because elderly and visually impaired people haven't yet realized they need a netbook. When they do, they won't buy one because they can't use the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.