Should I wait for PCI express 6800GT.

benk

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
Just bin reading about the new PNY 6800 ULTRA & GT that supports PCI express. As I'm just about to spunk 311 pounds on a 6800GT I want to know do these cards support both AGP & PCI express.

If they do then surely it's worth waiting a little while longer for these cards as I don't want to to spend a load of money on a card that only supports AGP, then in 2 years time have to change it to one that supports PCI express and have to change my mobo at the same time, as this would be very costly.
Is PCI express really that important in the long run anyway I'm not really that clued up on it?

firstsage

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
One card will not support both PCIe and AGP. If you want PCIe now you would still have to change out your MOBO. As of right now having PCIe will not make a proformance diff. AGP 8X are still not using the max bandwidth. You could just get the AGP because some MOBO will probably have both AGP and PCIe slots. That way when you upgrade your CPU and MOBO you dont have to change out your vid card as well.

2600+ 266 FSB
A7N8X-E Deluxe
768 DDR PC2700
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO SERIES
Maxtor 120 gig 8MB cach 7200
Western Digital 60 gig 8MB cach
Liton DVDRW +/- 4xrw/8xr/16x

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'd basically agree since buy the time you "future proof" the tchnology has changed/improved anyway and you'd be better off just rebuying than upgrading down the road.

I'm personally holding off on an entire new system build until PCI Express is available. I'm also looking for Serial RAID and some other things before I begin buying. Hopefully tis winter. Maybe by that time the 6800 Ultra will be more availalbe even cheaper???

<A HREF="http://www.ericstoffers.com" target="_new">(My little web site)</A>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Though newer technology always gives better expandibility and is better for future upgrades, but I am not sure about the new chipsets supporting PCIE. Some are <A HREF="http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=intel+recall+new+chips" target="_new">flawed</A>. So you might have to wait a while before a stable chipset (I mean a High end stable) is released without an erratum.

Also performance wise PCI exp isnt better than todays cards. We need faster busses and DDR2 mem. According to me Apple is the only company that has reached the 1.25Ghz bus speed for desktops.

<i> :eek: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek: </i>

urian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I'm holding off buying a 6800 until the PCIe are more common, beacause even if they don't use the extra speed there should at least be some price drops :wink:

Neo8234

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2004
that chipset "flaw" has nothing whatsoever to do with PCIe... that was just due to a manufacturing issue with a certain batch of chips where a piece of foil wasn't properly removed. The design of the chipsets is fine.

Anyway, I too am waiting for a 6800GT PCIe to become available as I am already gathering the other components to build my new system. The most specific bit of information on the availability is from PNY, saying that their cards will be available in 'Q3' 2004... i guess that means anytime July-September... If somebody has more specific info I would love to hear it.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
yeah I know, that flaw has nothing to do with PCIE design or standard...thats just a flaw in a chipset supporting PCIE. I am not sure if apart from INTEL other PCIE chipsets are out or not.

<i> :eek: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek: </i>