Taking Bets On My New Graphics Card!!

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
If anyone's been trying to get a hold of an X800XT PE of any stripe, you know what's been going on. Production problems and chip shortages have almost rendered this product to the realm of "vaporware". I had one on order from Gateway, supposed to be shipped today, I called... they laughed at me, I cancelled my order. It took 1 minute to place it and 10 minutes to cancel it... go figure.

Anticipating this development (why do you think Gateway's almost out of business) I placed a pre-order with the following.

1, An XTasy X800 XT PE from the manufacterer Visiontek.

2. An Excaliber X800XT PE with IceQII from SuperPCMart.

I'm taking bet as to which, if either, of these two cards will ship first I'd say the odds favor Visiontek cause PC-Mart has no idea when they're comin or how many they'll get. Just queue up and takes your chances...

Sigh...

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Superpcmart ran out of cards last week. They told me that they ll have more this week. But now it seems they dont know themselves.

His told me that they plan to send a shipment to the US by last quater of aug.

can you post link for ur Xtasy.

<i> :eek: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek: </i>

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
http://www.visiontek.com/

You can buy right there but they say 2 to 4 weeks till they ship.

Good luck to you my friend.

Da Worfster

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Here's some advice: don't pay $500 for a frickin' graphics card, it's just plain stupid. $400 is twice as much as I am willing to spend on a new card. They're taking advantage of people because they "have to have it", it's extremely low supply and extrememly high demand. In one year it will drop to $300 anyway, just wait and see.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
dude, in 1 year it wont be here...these cards are last of their generations. Manufacturers are now concentrating on PCIE and hence their supply of AGP is down. Whatever comes after, being of a different generation will not alter the price of these current $500 cards by more than a $100.

In IT supply demand require a lot of other attributs such as the technology age.

Also in 1 yr there will be a better $500 card. And hence why would anybody want to buy a 1 year old card.

R u willing to buy a 9700 now, if you were buying for the new upcoming games.

If you want to see how the market price works -> look at the ATI price list on their website. Their X800 cost the same as 9800XT. Dont compare pricing of the OEMs to the top level manufacturers.

OEMs reduce the price depending on what they get from the manufacturers.

<i> :eek: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek: </i>

However waitng for them to have stock and not paying more than MSRP is a good idea. Also remember that an X800GT may be on the horizon too.

Anywhoo, to each his own. I was about to pay $1000+ CDN more for a laptop just to have a 'gaming' graphics chip in it. I'm now considering my best use, and I think I'm going to use that $1000 difference for my gaming desktop later. So I'm definitely in no position to tell people that they are nutz spending only $500US on a card, especially since the laptop chip only performs like a sub $200 card!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Agreed, but as I said before, that paying > $499 for a similar-to-ati-reference card is not worthwhile. As I am paying $50 more for an ICEQ II, it makes more sense.

So if I were getting a $499 XTASY, I would rather pay $453 and get an ATI.

As far as in stock goes -> that being in stock is generally cheaper -> is not always true. You can see examples on various retailers like ecost.com.

eg: ATI MSRP for X800 Pro : $399
All given on pricewatch.com >= $400 and most are in stock. So here that theory fails of being cheaper while in stock.

But I will not say that will be true for XTs bcos they have more demand.

Yeah I agree the premium for some is worth it. But I'm not saying paying more for a card than ATI sells them for is wrong, but if HIS' MSRP was also $499 then paying a premium makes no sense. However I will always say that HIS' IceQ line is worth <b>at least</b> an extra 10%, I mean seriously, they are great cards, and ever since Hercules left the fold they are my favourite ATI-partner for the tweaker crowd.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Well, I've not spent any money on anything YET!!!! LOL...

Ecost says "Items in stock, call."

That means one thing... they ain't got em either...

Sigh.. I know ATI's the reference, but I'm running a stop gap Xtasy now and I like it's software and the way it runs... The Excaliber, if I can get that kind of cooling, I'll pay the extra sheckles.

Da Worfster

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I agree with the not getting in too much of a hurry, if you wait a few months...I mean. how much you wanna bet they have lots of them available for the pre-christmas shopping

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
people who are loaded enough to get these highend cards usually don't care after a 50$ difference, they got the money.

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
These guys should at least wait until they're selling the cards for a decent amount UNDER the MSRP. If you're paying over the MSRP then you are a fool and you're being taken advantage of, you should be paying at least $30 less.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I don't mean to act negative because I'd love to have one of the new cards myself, and I don't mean to bash any of you maniacs who actually bought them, but when you could build a decent computer for the price of one of those cards then something just isn't right, especially granted how rapidly prices drop during the first year. Really, everyone is upgrading for <i>one</i> game. I don't know what card you are using now, but why not wait and see how it runs on your current system? You may be very surprised...

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Oh and Grape did you check out the Mobility 9800 article? I can't believe the jump in performance, that is a serious gaming laptop. Sure it costs a fortune, too.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
According to me the definition of a card bought is:

YOUR CREDIT CARD CHARGED THE COST OF THE VIDEO CARD
&&
(X = CARD IN THE SYSTEM FOR NO. OF DAYS > NO. OF DAYS BEFORE RMA FILING EXPIRES
&&
I DONT FILE A RMA FOR THE ABOVE NO. OF DAYS
&&
I DONT FILE A RMA AFTER THE ABOVE NO. OF DAYS)
||
(YOU GIFT THE CARD && X)

So none of us have actually bought cards yet.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
As my Finnish friend was trying to say.. You're not insulting us because we've not spent any money...

Yet....

Da Worfster

pauldh

Illustrious
My Gateway X800XT Platinum shipped today!!! :lol: You should have waited dude. $398.00!!!!!!!

<font color=yellow>Oh shoot, it was just a dream. Status still: Order Pending</font color=yellow>

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
thats a risk a lot of people take..

y did gateway have that low prices? or was it a typo that they had to live with.

pauldh

Illustrious
Not a typo. They had it for $435 for a while and had a 10% coupon code. Just note my <font color=yellow>yellow</font color=yellow> writing. :wink:

Just teasing as him and I ordered them at the same time (over a month ago).

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
My Bad, got you confused with another guy on another board. Sorry. Boy am I red faced. I apologize profusely... my mistake.

Da Worfster

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I'm happy as hell for ya. I'm serious. Yesterday they couldn't tell me anything about when the card would ship. Damn. Well just make sure you got the right card.

Da Worfster

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Actually it was pretty funny. You had me till I highlighted the yellow writing on the original post. You skunk!!!! It did make me laugh though.

Da Worfster

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Excaliber X800XT PE with that HSF system they put on will be worth the wait. Unlike BBA, HIS seems to understan just how hot these card get.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to XT(463/795)