Can't open some web pages since SP2 upgrade.

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Dial Up Connection
  • Internet
May 7, 2005 8:19:05 AM

I had the following networked setup:

1x Win 98SE PC connected to Dial up Internet, with Internet Connection
Sharing.
1x Win XPpro PC

This worked okay - I could access the Internet from the XP machine with no
problems.

I upgraded the XPpro PC to SP2, and I bought a new PC with XP Home SP2
preloaded (which I added to my network).

Both XP machines will now not access some Web pages. The Win 98 PC
continues to work okay.

I have turned off the XP firewalls and pop up blockers, etc.

I put a modem in the XPpro PC, and set it up to be the Internet Connection
Share. Both XP machines now access all Web sites okay!!
It looks like the Win98 Internet Connection Share does not like working with
the XP SP2 clients. Does anyone know anything about this issue?

I want to keep my Win98 PC as the Internet machine - and maybe if I upgrade
it to XP, it might all work. BUT, I would rather keep it as 98SE if I
can...

Thanks.

GK

More about : open web pages sp2 upgrade

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:04:46 PM

If you are setting a static IP on the either machine that is Not in the 192.168.?.? range, ICS fails.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"GK" <gkingREMOVE@iprimusREMOVE.com.au> wrote in message news:427c5dd9_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
>I had the following networked setup:
>
> 1x Win 98SE PC connected to Dial up Internet, with Internet Connection
> Sharing.
> 1x Win XPpro PC
>
> This worked okay - I could access the Internet from the XP machine with no
> problems.
>
> I upgraded the XPpro PC to SP2, and I bought a new PC with XP Home SP2
> preloaded (which I added to my network).
>
> Both XP machines will now not access some Web pages. The Win 98 PC
> continues to work okay.
>
> I have turned off the XP firewalls and pop up blockers, etc.
>
> I put a modem in the XPpro PC, and set it up to be the Internet Connection
> Share. Both XP machines now access all Web sites okay!!
> It looks like the Win98 Internet Connection Share does not like working with
> the XP SP2 clients. Does anyone know anything about this issue?
>
> I want to keep my Win98 PC as the Internet machine - and maybe if I upgrade
> it to XP, it might all work. BUT, I would rather keep it as 98SE if I
> can...
>
> Thanks.
>
> GK

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:06:29 AM

I'm not using static IP addresses, although I did try this (all in the
192.168.?.? range) with no success.

Anyway, I have got around the problem. I decided to turn off the Win98 ICS,
and load a freeware Proxy Server program. Now everything works fine, and I
can keep my Win98SE!

GK
!