How can I burn cd's over a network?

G

Hey there, I would like to know how to burn cd's over a network.
He has a cd burner and my pc doesn't. We are networked together and share DSL with no problems but I would like to burn cd's.
He's running Windows XP and I'm running Windows 2000. He uses the software that came with Win Xp to make cd's.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you cant, you have to set up the data to be burned on the computer with the burner.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

G

I've heard it can be done and that hospitals do it.
I just do not know how to map his cd burner.
We share files from each others pc and I share his printer, so surely it can be done.
Thanks for your input by the way.
I'll keep checking back here frequently in hopes for some more input. Thanks to all!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
sharing files is not the same as burning, printing is even a grey area. when you send a print job to his printer, basicaly his computer is sending the data to the printer, you just dump the data to the spooler of his machine. the same would go for burning cds. only thing is, no comercial cd burning software allows this kind of spooling. im not sure about doing this with two xp machines. the built in burning software may allow this. i myselft cant try it, as luck would have it my burner died last night.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

I know it doesn't work with Win2K Pro/Server. I have to copy the file from the server to the machine with the burner. Maybe with newer burners that have BurnProof it will work, but otherwise you get buffer underruns.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
we have an Iomega burner with "burn-proof" technology (whatever the heck that means)....

we also use W2k-Pro and Advanced Server...

data is in server, burner installed on one of the Pro computers...

we also cannot burn while working from the server computer...

while working on the pro machine, if we try to burn data thru the network onto the burner, we get numerous errors and the network crashes...

so we copy the data from the server to the pro machine, and burn locally....

i hope describing this experience helps...

G

From what I understand, your network is quite small and probably 100Mbit, but at least 10Mbit. And the failures when burning files over the LAN is just weird. :)

At work I have burners on W2k, NT and W98 machines and burning files that are on server (w2kas/nt4/unix) is daily routine. At home I have smaller network (winxp/2kpro/linux) with cable modem connection, and I never transfer the files to the "burner computer" before burning. At first I had some problems at home when burning over the LAN, but that was because other computer was in half duplex mode while the switch was in full duplex. Transfer rate between those two machines wasn't good. :)

Try to check the network settings (duplex and speed), even 10Mbit LAN should be fast enough for burning.

--

About sharing the burner and using it directly from 2nd computer sounds a bit iffy. Sharing the drive and using DirectCD or similar package writing on that computer might enable it though. Then it would be basically just copying files from computer 1 to computer 2. And comp2 would do the burning without comp1 even knowing about it. Just a guess.

-t

TRENDING THREADS