911 dialing flaw with Ericsson R520?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 16, 2004 9:40:06 AM

Twice in the last fornight I've had 911 emergency call me to ask if I just
called 911. that's a serious problem, since you can be fined for false
calls to 911! I'm wondering if there's a software flaw with my phone, an
Ericsson R520.

The R520 has an automatic keylock timer feature, and it's activated on my
phone. That ensures that I can't accidentally make calls while the phone
is in my bag. I've tested this feature manually and I'm unable to make a
call, or even dial any numbers. And yet...

Twice the phone has somemade how a call to 911. How is this happening? Is
it a software flaw or some weird hardware bug?
June 16, 2004 1:00:57 PM

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 05:40:06 GMT, stewart midwinter
<stewartXXX@XXXmidtoad.homelinux.org> wrote:

>Twice in the last fornight I've had 911 emergency call me to ask if I just
>called 911. that's a serious problem, since you can be fined for false
>calls to 911! I'm wondering if there's a software flaw with my phone, an
>Ericsson R520.
>
>The R520 has an automatic keylock timer feature, and it's activated on my
>phone. That ensures that I can't accidentally make calls while the phone
>is in my bag. I've tested this feature manually and I'm unable to make a
>call, or even dial any numbers. And yet...
>
>Twice the phone has somemade how a call to 911. How is this happening? Is
>it a software flaw or some weird hardware bug?

Even if the keys are locked most all phones have an "emergency"
feature that lets the phone still dial 112 or 911. If it just so
happened that there were the right key presses on your phone even
though the keys are locked it's very possible that your phone made
911/112 calls.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:26:09 PM

All GSM phones allow you to call 911, 112, or 08 for emergency calls, even
if your keypad is locked! According to manufacturers, this is a feature,
not a flaw. If ever you need to call 911 for an emergency, it would be
quite annoying to have to take off your keyguard first.

CU

"stewart midwinter" <stewartXXX@XXXmidtoad.homelinux.org> wrote in message
> Twice in the last fornight I've had 911 emergency call me to ask if I just
> called 911. that's a serious problem, since you can be fined for false
> calls to 911! I'm wondering if there's a software flaw with my phone, an
> Ericsson R520.
>
> The R520 has an automatic keylock timer feature, and it's activated on my
> phone. That ensures that I can't accidentally make calls while the phone
> is in my bag. I've tested this feature manually and I'm unable to make a
> call, or even dial any numbers. And yet...
>
> Twice the phone has somemade how a call to 911. How is this happening?
Is
> it a software flaw or some weird hardware bug?

---
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 6:40:56 PM

stewart midwinter <stewartXXX@XXXmidtoad.homelinux.org> wrote in

> Twice in the last fornight I've had 911 emergency call me to ask if I
> just called 911.

three points for using "fortnight", -1 for misspelling it, leaves you with
2! very good!
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 8:28:18 PM

I've never heard of any problems with this phone. Have you tried
checked your Fido bill to see when these alledged calls to 911 took
place and investigated based on the day/time/place of when these calls
took place?

!