Downloading files

Hi All,

I would like some advice please to help me solve my problem.

I am running Windows Xp Professional, and when i download files from the
internet, or update my antivirus or try to install anything, windows prompts
an error message saying the setup files are corrupt.

This has also happened whilst downloading service pack 1 for winxp pro.

I believe there is a problem within windows which deals with this but i
could be wrong.

Could someone please point me in the right direction please

Thanks :)

Barrie, do a check for Malware. Use all these free sites

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.webroot.com/

"Barrie Anderson (united kingdom)" <Barrie Anderson (united
kingdom)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I would like some advice please to help me solve my problem.
>
> I am running Windows Xp Professional, and when i download files from the
> internet, or update my antivirus or try to install anything, windows
> prompts
> an error message saying the setup files are corrupt.
>
> This has also happened whilst downloading service pack 1 for winxp pro.
>
> I believe there is a problem within windows which deals with this but i
> could be wrong.
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction please
>
> Thanks :)

cheers for the reply rich, but i am having installation problems with those
programs as well, as they begin to install, near the end of the installation,
it freezes and a message says the file is corrupt.

i think something is seriously wrong here.

can anybody else help?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Barrie, do a check for Malware. Use all these free sites
>
> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit
>

> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>

> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>

> http://www.webroot.com/
>

> "Barrie Anderson (united kingdom)" <Barrie Anderson (united
> kingdom)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I would like some advice please to help me solve my problem.
> >
> > I am running Windows Xp Professional, and when i download files from the
> > internet, or update my antivirus or try to install anything, windows
> > prompts
> > an error message saying the setup files are corrupt.
> >
> > This has also happened whilst downloading service pack 1 for winxp pro.
> >
> > I believe there is a problem within windows which deals with this but i
> > could be wrong.
> >
> > Could someone please point me in the right direction please
> >
> > Thanks :)

Barrie, have you tried a System Restore? Start>All
Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Go back
as far as you can.
"Barrie Anderson (united kingdom)" <Barrie Anderson (united
kingdom)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I would like some advice please to help me solve my problem.
>
> I am running Windows Xp Professional, and when i download files from the
> internet, or update my antivirus or try to install anything, windows
> prompts
> an error message saying the setup files are corrupt.
>
> This has also happened whilst downloading service pack 1 for winxp pro.
>
> I believe there is a problem within windows which deals with this but i
> could be wrong.
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction please
>
> Thanks :)

i dont need to use system restore because it wont do anything different. this
is from a clean setup, soon as windows xp pro has installed. so there is
nothing to go before if you understand what i mean. the same files which
work on the same version of windows on another computer of mine, but for some
strange reason nothing will install in windows on this computer.

in my own opinion, i think my hard drive could be corrupt somehow (it used
to be someone elses hard drive which never worked, so i formatted it and
reinstalled windows pro, then i begin having this installation problem). I
may purchase a cheap hard drive, install windows on that and see the results,
otherwise it could be a problem with my memory. (and so on,)

for your information, the specs of the computer i am having problems with
are found here

http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layout.aspx?ID={e97565fe-56b7-49ed-a94f-7a7f65b2720c}&CatID={9a80c029-6e5f-4e03-8402-5acdee537690}

(advent 9100)

i purchased this off someone for £70 because of the hard drive problem.

hope this helps.

keep the comments coming

TRENDING THREADS