Sign in with
Your question

It's official, ordered the Laptop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 6:28:23 AM

Ok, well I have been talking about this for a little while, and here it is my next Laptop;

Yes it's a DELL :frown: , 5150 with <b><font color=green>nV</font color=green></b> inside! :eek: 

Order Detail / Détails de la commande

Qty Part # Description
Quantité / No. de la pièce / Description
--- -------- ---------------------------------------------
1 221-6326 I5150,<b>14.1 XGA</b> B,<b><font color=blue>P4</font color=blue>,2.8GHZ,<font color=red>HT</font color=red></b>
1 312-0274 96 WHR LITHIUM ION 12-CELL BATTERY,TIED
1 313-1909 DELL APPLICATION BACK-UP CD,W/TOOL
1 313-1917 INTERNAL 56K MODEM
1 313-2179 24X CD-RW/DVD COMBO DRIVE,I5150,TIED
1 313-2208 INSPIRON TOOLS CD
1 320-1227 64MB <b><font color=green>NVIDIA</font color=green> GEFORCE FX GO5200</b>, I5150
1 340-8959 EXTERNAL USB FLOPPY DRIVE,INSPIRON 5150
1 412-0408 GENERIC INSPIRON DELL SUPPORT
1 412-0636 MCAFEE 5.0,OEM,ENG,90DAY, INSP
1 412-0689 IMAGE RESTORE, INSP
1 420-3235 WINXP HOME,ENG,TIED
1 430-0530 INTEGRATED NIC,INSPIRON
1 430-0929 DELL WIRELESS 1450,<b><font color=red>A</font color=red></b>/B/G,1150/5100/5150
1 430-1050 DECODING SW,CYBERLINK POWERDVD,V5.1,INSP
1 462-2826 <b>512MB</b>,333MHZ,2 DIMMS
1 462-4584 <b>60GB</b> HARD DRIVE
1 412-0552 MONEY 2004,STD,INSP
1 412-0556 MS ENCLYC 2004,INSP
1 412-0714 WORDPERFECT PROD PACK,V12,ENG,INSP
1 950-9910 RTD,INSP,SOL,INIT YR, REL (LOW)
1 950-9912 RTD,INSP,SOL,2YR EXT, REL (LOW)
1 009-6800 INSPIRON,SHIPPING & HANDLING

All for $1400 CDN through work (btw S&H was free). Not bad, the only thing from IBM close was a G30 with Celeron 2.4GHZ and Intel Extreme Graphics(ver.1), with 1/2 the system memory and 20gb less HD space, and no wireless and 1 year less warranty.

So not fabulous, but better than intel Extreme graphics, and ~$1100 cheaper than the DELL9100 with the P42.6HT+R9700-64mb or the 8600 with PentiumM + R9600 128mb. In the end it wasn't worth that kind of money, let alone moving to the R9800. Eurocomm was no better (although their trade-in plan for 20% made things interesting, but no OS, and things like DVD/CD burner were expensive add-ons).

Oh well it's done, and I'm satisfied it'll do what I need it to (including stumble through D3 on the road), and so on to my second nV graphics chip. And I've heard GREAT things about the FX series with their 32bit FP precision. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
July 28, 2004 7:29:45 AM

Good luck and have fun with that card... I sorta wish I had a decent laptop as they are easier to take to school... :) 

"Go forward until the last round is fired and the last drop of gas is expended...then go forward on foot!" -Patton
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 7:40:19 AM

Thanks!

Well at least I may have the opportunity to do some Foreware testing for the review, but really who cares what they do to an FX5200? :lol:  Even the R9600P is getting a little long in the tooth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 9:17:56 AM

It's a mobile P4, and most of the Pentium-M based laptops EXCEPT the rare exception like the 8600 I mentioned are IntelExtremeGraphics based, which sucks. And since they come with ~45 WHr batteries, and mine has 96WHr it'll just about even out. It'd just be lighter, but really No problem carrying stuff. It's not like I'm hiking or skiing with it. :cool:

My prefer 'puter from IBM which sells for $1800 in the US (equivalent exchange ~$2300-2400 here) sells for about $3200 here, so $crew that! I even logged in for my dad's Emplyee discount with IBM, and the majority of laptops were MORE through Emplyee price and Friend's & Family.

I could have gotten a Banias R50 (~$1800), but it came with a mobile Radeon 7500 w/ 32mb. And the entry level Dothan for IBM was $2700 with Intel Extreme 2, and For Dell it was $2200 with the same graphics chip I have now.

Anywhoo, it's not IDEAL, but really after a long time looking, it was the best 'deal' for me. Heck my dad almost talked me into getting an iBook G4 from FutureShop with 14in screen 1ghz dvd-writer superdrive and R9200 (don't remember memory on that) since it was on sale web exclusive (due to French-OS), but by the time I thought it over and said, 'Sure why not try it I mainly need it for DVD and basic work stuff', it was sold out (only 2 yesterday when he told me about it).

I'm sure this will do fine, especially for stuff like wireless surfing from the living room, boardroom, classroom.

I'm still curious how long the Battery will last with D3 on the flight out east. Could be scary/hairy! :eek: 

July 28, 2004 12:47:12 PM

How well do you think the mobile 5200 will be able to perform in doom3? Cause from the spec sheet id released, I'm worried about how well my 9800pro will run. :wink:

AMD64 2800+
MSI Neo-Fis2r
512mb Kingmax ddr400
Sapphire 9800pro 128mb
10K WD Raptor
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 1:07:54 PM

Congrats, but didn't you see <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17474" target="_new">here</A> you could soon buy the ECS G220. Forget IBM quality, we are talking ELITE GROUP here!!!!! And a built in Digital camera for the road to go with your Asus Web cam at home. (Ok, the digicam is way more useful than the Asuscam, but I am attempting humor here). You would have been golden. No, it wouldn't play Doom 3 on the airplane, but you could snap pictures of you with the Stewardesses.

Oh well, on a serious note, glad you made up your mind as time was running out. Does this mean with the money saved, Socket939 is soon to come home with you? Gonna buy a matching FX graphics card for that?

Oh and don't sweat the laptops graphics, look for a topic here on where you can buy a R9800 upgrade to slap into that mobo. :lol: 

Again, congrats, hope it serves you well.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
July 28, 2004 1:14:44 PM

Mazel Tov!!!

I'm coming up to my one year anniversary with my Dell laptop and I couldn't be happier with it. You may be surprised at how many games will run decently with your notebook. My laptop has a P4 2.4 with R7500 and can run almost any game I throw at it, fine it's with crappy IQ, but still Halo, BF1942, COD, etc... is more than playable.

Congratulations again, and use it well!
July 28, 2004 2:35:19 PM

Nice machine, dude. It's amazing how far laptops have come in features and price the last couple years.

I look forward to the day that there is an industry-standard video card slot for laptops...

a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 4:53:33 PM

PCI-express?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 8:34:41 PM

Thanks, yeah integrated camera? WTF! The original mini sony laptops (called Vaio also?) had buit in cameras as well. No point, the quality sucks and digital cameras are so cheap and small now better to have two seperate items.

I don't think I'll go FX for the Desktop, and whenever the right solution comes out I'll get it (as long as they don't want more than MSRP like right now for the cards). I don't think we'll be seeing much of Socket 939+PCIe_DDR2 solutions 'til sept, but then, for sure. Not worried about the price, always worried about 'value' and quality.

I think the FX will do fine with D3 at the lowest settings and imagine, I will get all the benifits of 32 bit! :wink:

I will be able to play any game out there now. Play it amazingly, NO, play it at all, yes, which is not the case with the IntelExtreme or mobileR7500-32mb.

I am looking forward to a more modular solution like Cleeve alludes to, I think the AXIOM mini PCIe and nV's solutions will be that. But for now I'm happy with saving money this round and buying something new and impressive when they become more efficient and more 'commonly' efficient (not paying a premium for what should be a common goal.

I'll try and Bench/Review it here before I leave.

a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2004 9:02:09 PM

Yeah, the seriously warped machines are of course the VOODOO and ALienware rigs, but I agree having interchangeable/upgradeable parts would be the best. Too bad right now the most efficient and most adaptable rigs cost about $3000-4000 CDN. I'd pay it if I knew I could leave my two desktops behind, especially if it also replaced my work PC too.

I really want to get a powerful SmartPhone but they have such Crap selection in Canada, and everytime I see something nice on E-bay that's unlocked it goes very quickly and I get outbid! Oh well I decided to get the Kyocera 7135 (I need a new phone because my single channel dual mode phone doesn't work at the second cottage in North Bay or on the road between north bay and Toronto or NB and Ottawa. Even rural Ottawa like the Gatineaus has trouble with me just using one freq. So I'm getting the same phone <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/modules.php?name=..." target="_new">I asked about here in the Cell Section]</A>, and got no response over a year ago! Nothing in the ClamShell department in a Year! I was hoping for the Samsung i500/505, only the i700 made it to Canada.

I hate the DragonBall 33mhz, but no other clamshell PDAphone in Canada!

July 28, 2004 11:01:17 PM

When I worked at bby a few months ago you could get the emachines 15.4" Widescreen A64 2800+ with R9600 for about $1200US.

Any reason you opted for Dell over retail systems?

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2004 12:08:08 AM

Very little selection in Canada, unofrtunately I couldn't get some of the deal in the US without paying DUTY (which is alot).

Here at work we have a deal with dell that saved me alot of coin (not just the discount but I found cheaper upgrades, like for moving from 1 to 3 years was less than half the list price). Also adding things like a bigger battery, and the A/B/G wireless cost very VERY little to upgrade, and is something I was interested in (I have a D-link A/B wireless access point and the SMC A-only wirelss router on different connections)

I do like those e-machines, but in Canada you can only get them <A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/categor..." target="_new">Refurb from TigerDirect</A>, and the one thing they don't warranty is Batteries, and a 90month warranty is scary on a referb, and upgrading to Tiger's warranty is more expensive than DELLS 3 year!

Also the price TigerDirect had them for wat $1700 just a few days ago. Of course they go on sale the day AFTER I buy! :frown:

But hey, by next year I can give it to my sister or sell it to a friend at work if something worthy comes along, and then THEY have a warranty too which is very attractive to people buying second hand.

All in all I'm happy with the configuration, but I sure would've paused a bit longer if the emachine were cheaper when I was looking at it, and if the IBM T42 w/ Dothan 1.7 (755?) + R9600 were the exhange rate price of $2385 CDN because I like IBM alot.

Anywho, this will do, and it gives me a chance to try nV again. :wink:

July 29, 2004 4:21:29 AM

good luck with your laptop. hope you enjoy
July 29, 2004 5:26:34 AM

Well, it's not what I'd have expected, but it sure does have a nice suite of software offered, and its price is most definitely not expensive! At least not if it's Canadian dollars we're talking about here. (please tell me it is!)

--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
<font color=white>XXXXXXX<font color=green>S<font color=white>XXXXXXX
XXXXXX<font color=green>SSS<font color=white>XXXXXX
XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white>
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2004 7:04:06 AM

Yep, like I said $1400 CDN/CAD ($1389).

And yeah it's really what I need more than what I WANT. But I'm definitely satisfied with it.

The only thing I wish I added was instead of upgrading the battery just adding a 96WHr battery to the 64 one already offered. But no big whoop, it'd just be a nice addition (but outside of flying [which I do about 6-8 times a year] I doubt I'd use it much). Once I see how it does with DVDs then I can decide, I won't be playing D3 on it all the time.

Definitely a step up from the aging Thinkpad and the even older Fujitsu tablet.

July 29, 2004 10:01:39 PM

What!...no mobile trackball? :lol: 

Now that you've made your choice, I started reading up on the Go5200 a little bit. Adrian's Rojak Pot tested it on a Toshiba Satellite M30 <A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=74..." target="_new">here</A>, and found that Toshiba underclocked the SOB to better the battery life!:shock:, they also turned off sideband support:( 
Are you sure Dell doesnt pull the same crap?
At least you got the 64mb, 128bit version of the card!, I was shocked to read that there is in fact, a 64bit version :tongue:
All together, it seems like an awsome notebook. For the life of me, I could never really appreciate the notebook I have now because of it's inability to play games. Once this thing gets delivered to you, you've gotta let us know how it does!
I remember reading one of Carmack's old .plans, where he was discussing what was at the time, ATi's new mobility part, the M9000, and how he was enjoying seeing how well D3 was running on it. Just the thought of having <b>any</b> kind of D3 experience while on the road or while kicking back in bed, is enough to give me wood :wink:
Quote:
but better than intel Extreme graphics, and ~$1100 cheaper than the DELL9100 with the P42.6HT+R9700-64mb or the 8600 with PentiumM + R9600 128mb.

$1,100 dollars difference? :lol: 
What the Fukc are they thinking! I would have deffinately made the same choice as you, if faced with the same options :smile:
Quote:
And I've heard GREAT things about the FX series with their 32bit FP precision.

HaHaHA!!.....now you will feel the wrath of all our nVidiot jokes/comments :lol: 

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>
July 29, 2004 10:59:04 PM

Hey GW, I was also thinking recently about the M9000 comment Carmack did once. After seeing the benchmarks, I don't know how believable that is. :eek: 

A GF4 MX440 is along the league of the 9000, (non-PRO?) right? Well, considering the older cards had horrible performance as the laptop versions, one is left to wonder just how good would DOOM III perform like if it yeilded a rather disappointing performance under Low Quality 640*480 on the minimum system spec, with an M9000 system.

What do you think?

BTW do I arouse you now that I am back in the GFX Forum? :lol: 

--

XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2004 11:18:10 PM

Quote:
What!...no mobile trackball?

Funny you should say that, I will be keeping a Kensington Trackball (got it brand new for 75% off clearance in Toronto for 14.99, even I've never used it) with the laptop at all time, because of my love of trackpoints, I'm going to try and ween myself off them, but man trackpoints a F'in brilliant IMO. Moving to a touchpad will take time, I currently HATE using other people's laptops because of that. That alone almost made me get the Dell 9100 for $2500 (also has trackpoint like device) or stick with the Thinkpad R51 with the mR7500 32mb. Man I'm so gonna miss! And I KNOW you know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I started reading up on the Go5200 a little bit.

I started doing that do, but had to stop because it didn't make me feel good. No Z compression, no colour compression, and thus resulting in effectively 1/3 the memory bandwidth of the FXGO 5600 despite same speed/bit-width! Ugh!

Quote:
Are you sure Dell doesnt pull the same crap?

No, but I'm fairly certain it'll do better than the Intel Extreme (1) and mR7500/32. And hey full DX9 and PS 2.0+ Support! :wink:

Quote:
At least you got the 64mb, 128bit version of the card!, I was shocked to read that there is in fact, a 64bit version.

Yeah I knew enough to stay far FAR away from the FXGO 5100. Even the R9000 integrated would do better than that.

Quote:
For the life of me, I could never really appreciate the notebook I have now because of it's inability to play games.

I know exactly what you mean. Woohoo NEOMAGIC! :wink:
While I decided I didn't need a 'GAMING' rig, I did want it to at least be able to handle Morrwind, and some of the basic current games, even on the absolute lowest settings. And should I decide to sell this thing, believe you me , if it's not a friend I will be pumping that DX9/PS2.0+/32bit advantage as much as I can (you'd think I was an nVidiot the way I'd sell it). I may do that if MXM or Axiom rigs with upgradeable parts are ubiquitous/common next year.

Quote:
Once this thing gets delivered to you, you've gotta let us know how it does!

Damn right! I am definitely going to bench the crap out of it (running on AC and Battery) if I have the time before I go east. Should arrive Wednesday (I leave Friday), but baring delays I hope to get in a COMPLETE set of benchmarks with the shipped drivers. I will run 3Dmk01 and 3dmk03 and PCMark and Aquamark and Gunmetal and rthdribl with/without AC connection if I can. Hopefully I will be able to bench D3 too, I plan on buying it day 1 and installing it on both the laptop and desktop. (<i>EDIT</i>: I'd also like to run a bunch of different Catalysts with it too before leaving and add those to the comparison, cause I think OGL is an area where the switch from 3.x to 4.x mattered, and even 4.2+ IIRC)

Quote:
Just the thought of having any kind of D3 experience while on the road or while kicking back in bed, is enough to give me wood

Yes and that's another thing that will scare the other passangers on the plane. An that was really the point. I want at least basic gaming, but really I don't need to replace my desktop and make this my primary rig, save the difference and buy beer, and put it towards my AMD64 -939 - PCIe replacement.

Quote:
$1,100 dollars difference?

Yep, the processor I got was FASTER by 200mhz, same HD size just 4K vs 5K speed, the screen on the 9100 and 8600 are WXGA 15" but the XGA 14" is fine for me (also means smaller 'puter), only the 9100 comes with the trackpoint. With the options I got only to ad the R9700 for the 9100 or the R9600 for the 8600 (base for it is the FXGO5200 also) would have been ~$1150 for the 9100 and ~$1250 for the 8600. So seriously no brainer IMO. I guess some people will pay the premium for the graphics and for the WXGA. I spent alot of time, hemming and hawing and was virtually sold on the R9100 (especially with the tangible advanatges of an upgradable graphics system and trackpoint) but after stopping and thinking for a second I said, WTF am I doing? $1000+ just to play games rarely and worse than on my desktop? Man that hit me like a bucket of cold water! Really, I shocked myself that I almost did that.

Quote:
HaHaHA!!.....now you will feel the wrath of all our nVidiot jokes/comments

True, and I'm secure enough to handle it. I respect my decision, and it will be nice to try all the various nV features (digital vibrance will be fun to mess with, the Forceware stuff, and a few other test [ruby without a wrapper?]), but I doubt my experience will have me Promoting nV and the FX line. :lol: 

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 07/29/04 05:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 29, 2004 11:54:48 PM

Quote:
(digital vibrance will be fun to mess with

I don't ever install new nV drivers or start a fresh install of the OS on my system without turning on Digital Vibrance. That thing makes a whole difference in colors and what it should actually look like. When I look at other systems' Windows XP, I see colors as bland and wonder how the heck do they like that!
I turn it up 2 degrees btw.

I'm curious about one thing you guys have talked about: What is the Ruby demo?

--

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2004 12:27:29 AM

From what I've read a similar effect to DV can be achieved from using the Colour Temp settings on your monitor (most people don't even know they exist let alone know what they do).

Ruby wouldn't really impress you, not really your type :wink: , but <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/ruby/index.html" target="_new">her ya go</A>.

Colourless @ B3D(and elsewhere) made a wrapper so you could run the demo on R3XX hardware, but supposedly the FXs could run the demo without running the wrapper, but it ran damn slow!

BTW if you were joking I missed that. But since you've been away from here for a while you may have missed the whole 'Ruby vs Nalu' stuff.

July 30, 2004 12:36:04 AM

Quote:
From what I've read a similar effect to DV can be achieved from using the Colour Temp settings on your monitor (most people don't even know they exist let alone know what they do).

Most monitors have two color temp settings: 9300K and 6500K. It doesn't really create a DV like nV's drivers do though. It just makes your colors either warmer or colder.

Quote:
Ruby wouldn't really impress you, not really your type, but her ya go.

She's quite nice LOL! A bit of a corny Prequel video and definitely leaves me wondering why they went so far creating a whole story and characters compared to nVidia's Dawn and Dusk characters which were meant for a few demos only. Almost pointless IMO, unless you know of other reasons they made them?

Quote:
Colourless @ B3D(and elsewhere) made a wrapper so you could run the demo on R3XX hardware, but supposedly the FXs could run the demo without running the wrapper, but it ran damn slow!

The demo was supposed to run on R400s only?

Quote:
BTW if you were joking I missed that.

I don't know to which quote or question you are refering, but I definitely wasn't here when Ruby appeared and there was some Ruby vs Nalu discussions.

--

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2004 1:05:12 AM

Yeah for the colour temps on my monitors I have a range (sliders for all R,G,B, and the P260 has seperate BIAS and GAIN adjustments), and the defaults are 6500/7200/9300 (for the P260 I have 5000/6500/9300) I always adjust mine once I get a new monitor, even here at work. The only one without sliders is the cheapo Daytek I got for a tools screen on the editing rig.

From what I read in the forums fo most people DV is like increasing the Temps. But I've never really played with it myself. I'll let you guys know once I've hooked the Laptop up to this Beauty at work and see if I can achieve the same effects.

The RBUY stuff was suposed to provide a fan base thing, kinda like Laura Croft, and es it was originally slated to only run on the X800s (not sure if it was to the exclusion of nV cards, but definitely to the exclusion of the R3xxs).

Also I wasn't sure if you were joking about not knowing who Ruby was, so I wasn't sure if my link was in vain.

July 30, 2004 5:57:29 AM

Oh yeah Ruby was a totally new thing for me. Shame, I go away for months and look what happens! I miss out on ATi's chick! :eek: 

--

July 31, 2004 7:42:53 AM

I want to buy a laptop but the graphics card options really suck

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
July 31, 2004 7:56:40 AM

well, mobility 9800s are the best u might get now...with DELLs...u can get $100 off on dell via fatwallet.

<i> :eek:  <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek:  </i>
July 31, 2004 4:05:36 PM

What the heck is fatwallet?

--

July 31, 2004 4:06:05 PM

Yeah I was, and a mighty spiritual quest that was!

I came back lopsided! :lol: 

--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 07/31/04 12:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2004 9:07:27 PM

Quote:
I came back lopsided!

Maybe that's because you had a FAT Wallet and didn't know it. I can never sit down right with mine in my pants. :wink:

Well Dell's still building it, getting a little Pi$$ed off!

Dell still owns title until it ships so if they don't ship by tuesday I may cancel my order first thing Wednesday morning and pick up a Toshiba A70 with a P4-2.8+9100IGP, I described earlier. I'd lose the A Wireless (get only B/G) and a few other minor items, but I'd at least have the laptop when I need it. Seriously how long does it take to slap components in! Having the Holiday on Monday makes it very hairy!

Their stoOopid tracking tool say I placed the order on the 28th. Hmm, I got confirmation and posted the specs here right before ordering I guess! I ordered it on the 27th from work, being told everything is in stock and should be shipped out immediately!

<font color=blue>"Order was placed on / Date du placement de la commande: 07/27/2004 Estimated Delivery Date: 07/31/2004 / Date prévu de la livraison: 07/31/2004 Shipped To / Livré à:"</font color=blue>

ME.

Freakin' brutal IBM delivery is 1-2 for expidited and $119.85 (regular ground is 59.95), Dell only offers Groud for $139. Sure they throw it in for free for my order, but not getting it there as fast as the competition is brutal, and if it weren't free they'd charge you more for ground thasn IBM charges for expidited, and about 2.5 times as much as IBM's ground. Problem is it woudl be too late to go with IBM now even with expidited.

I hope DELL delivers, like their ads say, but we'll see. I'll even offer to pay half of Purolator's (their shipper/IBM uses UPS) OVernight service which is $160CDN for someone WITHOUT an account which I'm sure is far more than they pay (likely they pay only half that price).

And here I was hoping to look at their tracking tool and see shiped, and it's not even finished production, let alone 'delivery prep' whatever that requires for a single laptop. Well Tueday morning they better have a tracking number or they'll have a cancellation number. Of course everyone who is at Dell over this holiday weekend keep saying 'well did you check the website?', as if we're all Dell Desktop buyers. Thank you yes I did, now how about you phone down to the warehouse? "Oh we can't do that...".

LAME!

Anywhoo, I'll wait 'til Tuesdya, maybe the site doesn't get refreshed over the weekends.

August 1, 2004 6:41:17 AM

Damn dude, gotta hate those stupid shipping problems. They just don't live up to their promises anymore. :frown:

--

!