Task Manager Disabled

for the past couple of days when i click on task manager...it's been saying
that it has been disabled by the adminstrator and as the administrator i
haven't done anything to disable it...i need step by step instructions to
help solve this problem!! please help
2 answers Last reply
More about task manager disabled

    I had this problem on my computer about a week ago. Here is a response I got
    to my question -- it worked for me. (More below)

    =======

    Can you get to the registry editor? See if you have anything under a key
    called

    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system

    See what entries (such as disabletaskmgr) are in it. Also see what you get
    when you run this:

    Click Start Click Run Enter gpedit.msc in the Open box and click OK In the
    Group Policy settings window
    * Select User Configuration
    * Select Administrative Templates
    * Select System
    * Select Ctrl+Alt+Delete options
    ====================

    To see the registry key called DisableTaskMgr, click on Start and Run and
    find or type in regedit.exe This opens a window that allows you to find the
    location shown above. You should see an entry that says DisableTaskMgr.

    In the registry key, the DWORD value should be zero. If it is set to one,
    then Task Manager is disabled.

    To change the DWORD, right-click on DisableTaskMgr and select Modify. Type
    in 0 if it is not already 0. Then exit.

    The second part of the info I know nothing about since I have XP Home, and
    gpedit.exe is not available in this version.

    "Jeebz" wrote:

    > for the past couple of days when i click on task manager...it's been saying
    > that it has been disabled by the adminstrator and as the administrator i
    > haven't done anything to disable it...i need step by step instructions to
    > help solve this problem!! please help

    Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskmanager_error.htm

    In addition, follow-up with a malware cleanup (in case). Run Trend Micro's
    Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans
    etc. Full instructions at:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Trend Micro Sysclean package
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jeebz" <Jeebz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > for the past couple of days when i click on task manager...it's been
    > saying
    > that it has been disabled by the adminstrator and as the administrator i
    > haven't done anything to disable it...i need step by step instructions to
    > help solve this problem!! please help

Support Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP