Sign in with
Your question

My slave won't work for me!

Last response: in Windows XP
July 16, 2003 11:00:09 PM

I set up my new hard drive from Seagate, to act as a Slave on the 2nd IDE channel by changing the jumper settings on the back.

I turned the computer on and checked the bios and it was listed there as a slave drive.

Loaded up WinXP pro SP1, and it said it had found new hardware installing dirvers. Then it said new Hard drive added.

But when I go into my computer its not listed! There’s no second HD!

I checked in device manager and where its got device usage, (normally you can enable and disable stuff) it was greyed out.

Any ideas?

More about : slave work

July 17, 2003 1:06:37 AM

""My slave won't work for me! ""

Hehe, sell him, and buy an obedient one.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
July 17, 2003 7:00:15 AM

open computer management, right click my comp, click manage. go to disk manager, you have to create a partition before it shows up.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
Related resources
July 18, 2003 6:04:58 PM

Quote:
I set up my new hard drive from Seagate, to act as a Slave on the 2nd IDE channel by changing the jumper settings on the back.

Umm, you <i>did</i> hook it to the right connecter on the IDE cable, right?

mobo>-----------<slave>-----<master

Sorry if I just insulted your intelligence, but you didn't <i>say</i> you did. :cool:

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
-Einstein</font color=blue>
July 19, 2003 6:21:54 AM

LOL.. :lol: 
July 19, 2003 11:01:36 AM

Your master drive might need the "slave present" strap installed.
July 19, 2003 2:57:32 PM

Where on the cable it is doesn't matter if he has the jumper set. If you don't have either jumper set, then the cable will determine master/slave, but if you have the jumpers set, then they will determine it.

You DO have to create a partition and format it though. I'm surprised you can't do it from winXP easily like that, but create a boot disk, boot from it, type fdisk, and then make a partition and format it on your new drive.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
!