My slave won't work for me!

I set up my new hard drive from Seagate, to act as a Slave on the 2nd IDE channel by changing the jumper settings on the back.

I turned the computer on and checked the bios and it was listed there as a slave drive.

Loaded up WinXP pro SP1, and it said it had found new hardware installing dirvers. Then it said new Hard drive added.

But when I go into my computer its not listed! There’s no second HD!

I checked in device manager and where its got device usage, (normally you can enable and disable stuff) it was greyed out.

Any ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about slave work
  1. ""My slave won't work for me! ""

Hehe, sell him, and buy an obedient one.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
  2. open computer management, right click my comp, click manage. go to disk manager, you have to create a partition before it shows up.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
  3. Quote:
    I set up my new hard drive from Seagate, to act as a Slave on the 2nd IDE channel by changing the jumper settings on the back.

Umm, you <i>did</i> hook it to the right connecter on the IDE cable, right?

mobo>-----------<slave>-----<master

Sorry if I just insulted your intelligence, but you didn't <i>say</i> you did. :cool:

<font color=blue>Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    -Einstein</font color=blue>
  4. LOL.. :lol:
  5. Your master drive might need the "slave present" strap installed.
  6. Where on the cable it is doesn't matter if he has the jumper set. If you don't have either jumper set, then the cable will determine master/slave, but if you have the jumpers set, then they will determine it.

You DO have to create a partition and format it though. I'm surprised you can't do it from winXP easily like that, but create a boot disk, boot from it, type fdisk, and then make a partition and format it on your new drive.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP