Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What connections are on a 40 pin laptop screen connector?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 28, 2012 1:34:11 PM

I'm looking to use a laptop screen for a project but I can't find any specs on the 40-pin connector that sends all of the power and signals.

Does anybody have any links/pictures that shows what each pin does?
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2012 1:45:29 PM

Prehistoricman said:
I'm looking to use a laptop screen for a project but I can't find any specs on the 40-pin connector that sends all of the power and signals.

Does anybody have any links/pictures that shows what each pin does?


What is your model of the screen ?

There is some useful information here:

http://www.afiata.com/circuit-diagram-laptop-lcd-displa...

And an old project translated:

 fficial%26channel%3Dnp%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=xOwTUPasAsrJ6wGDyIDwBw&ved=0CFgQ7gEwAA" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http...

Be prepared to do some electronics work.

Or something like this:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123813874...
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2012 1:46:54 PM

I think they are usually LVDS connectors.
Related resources
July 28, 2012 1:56:57 PM

Thanks for the info, but I ansolutey cannot have VGA. The machine that I am modding (Xbox 1.6) doesn't accept VGA output like the other versions (1.0-1.5), which still require heavy modding on the output socket. So I am forced to use component video for the 720p I want (need).

It seems from the images in the first link that the laptop's output is very customised and non-standard, not something I can just hook up with a few wires. Meaning I need to find a perfect, laptop-sized, very slim, low power usage, 12v or lower TV. Some slight constraint on choice there.
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2012 2:02:28 PM

Prehistoricman said:
Thanks for the info, but I ansolutey cannot have VGA. The machine that I am modding (Xbox 1.6) doesn't accept VGA output like the other versions (1.0-1.5), which still require heavy modding on the output socket. So I am forced to use component video for the 720p I want (need).

It seems from the images in the first link that the laptop's output is very customised and non-standard, not something I can just hook up with a few wires. Meaning I need to find a perfect, laptop-sized, very slim, low power usage, 12v or lower TV. Some slight constraint on choice there.


Yeah, the LVDS to HDMI/DVI shouldn't be a problem, you just need to buy or build a board (they are simple and cheap), but you still need an inverter if the LCD is CFL backlit, or some other power source if it is LED backlit with a controller to control the brightness. You might be able to buy that as well, but this may get expensive for you if you go down this route.

But it might be a lot of fun.
July 28, 2012 2:04:50 PM

So, is it possible to mod a standard TV to not need the PSU, only a 12v battery? Since the TV converts to AC anyway, it sounds very possible. LED backlight will save lots of power and hopefully heat so I can chuck any useless I/O, PSU and other crap to make it fit in a laptop-sized enclosure (<1cm).

Best solution

a b D Laptop
July 28, 2012 2:09:27 PM
Share

Prehistoricman said:
So, is it possible to mod a standard TV to not need the PSU, only a 12v battery? Since the TV converts to AC anyway, it sounds very possible. LED backlight will save lots of power and hopefully heat so I can chuck any useless I/O, PSU and other crap to make it fit in a laptop-sized enclosure (<1cm).


With an LED backlit LCD, this is possible. There are quite a few USB powered and Signaled LCD's out there like this one:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/21/aocs-16-inch-portabl...

I suppose you can try to find one with a HDMI input (I kind of remember one a while back) and a USB input and use the USB only for power. This may be the simplest way.
July 28, 2012 2:10:48 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Yeah, the LVDS to HDMI/DVI shouldn't be a problem, you just need to buy or build a board (they are simple and cheap), but you still need an inverter if the LCD is CFL backlit, or some other power source if it is LED backlit with a controller to control the brightness. You might be able to buy that as well, but this may get expensive for you if you go down this route.

But it might be a lot of fun.


Oh, that's good.
I didn't see your post before my last one.
I wouldn't worry too much about expense, I have already got a price tag for this at around £100, and that is without any of the extra stuff I want, like speakers.
July 28, 2012 2:29:51 PM

Some quick ebaying (might try amazon later for cheaper or larger stuff) found this:

eBay USB-Powered-Portable-Dual-Monitor-for-Laptop

and another one but I need to contact the seller to ask what inputs it accepts.

I can use the ATX PSU to power the screen if it outputs enough juice for the Xbox and screen (it should, ince the screen is supposed to run off of USB).
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2012 2:39:01 PM

Prehistoricman said:
Some quick ebaying (might try amazon later for cheaper or larger stuff) found this:

eBay USB-Powered-Portable-Dual-Monitor-for-Laptop

and another one but I need to contact the seller to ask what inputs it accepts.

I can use the ATX PSU to power the screen if it outputs enough juice for the Xbox and screen (it should, ince the screen is supposed to run off of USB).


That things is nice. It says that it has HDMI as standard input, and USB for power... Sounds like the right thing.
July 28, 2012 2:53:41 PM

I would like a slightly larger one. But not like this AOC one I found on Amazon:

AOC USB powered monitor

About 4inches to large for a laptop. And also, looking at the pictures, I see no input except USB. Looks like it recieves video via it.

Now I just found this:

Amazon 16" LED TV

Looks exactly the right size and 12v power and slim (after I strip it) and cheap! Definitely sticking that in my project folder.
July 28, 2012 3:00:42 PM

Uh, correction there:

Looks exactly the right size and 12v power and slim (after I strip it) and cheap REALLY EXPENSIVE! Definitely sticking removing that in from my project folder.
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2012 3:03:52 PM

Prehistoricman said:
Uh, correction there:

Looks exactly the right size and 12v power and slim (after I strip it) and cheap REALLY EXPENSIVE! Definitely sticking removing that in from my project folder.


Darn... Seems like a fun project.
July 28, 2012 3:24:57 PM

Yeah, it will be. And a bit expensive as well, but worth it if everything works (120W PSU is pushing it a bit... not sure if Xbox will start).

I found a much cheaper monitor. This one looks good and hopefully I can cut off a bit of that 4.8cm depth before mounting on the laptop. But can I just connect the TV to the battery + a switch?

There are several more problems to overcome with building it. I don't know where I can get a custom case manufactured. There might be tools at my school that would do it but I really have no idea. Cramming all of the components into something tiny is going to be an awful job. I'm still working on the 3D design in Roblox. I only just got the motherboard measured to copy into the studio so I can simulate all of the products together. I shoud carry on building that now. I haven't looked for speakers yet, but I have found an amp. I also have other concerns about the PSU, like how will it work when the battery is run down a bit (and therefore not supplying 12v)? Too many questions and not enough forums to post them on :lol:  Oh yeah, need a keyboard and possibly a touchpad too (but the touchpad may not be compatible with XBMC).

I didn't expect it to be this complex to start with :??: 
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2012 3:34:22 PM

Prehistoricman said:
Yeah, it will be. And a bit expensive as well, but worth it if everything works (120W PSU is pushing it a bit... not sure if Xbox will start).

I found a much cheaper monitor. This one looks good and hopefully I can cut off a bit of that 4.8cm depth before mounting on the laptop. But can I just connect the TV to the battery + a switch?

There are several more problems to overcome with building it. I don't know where I can get a custom case manufactured. There might be tools at my school that would do it but I really have no idea. Cramming all of the components into something tiny is going to be an awful job. I'm still working on the 3D design in Roblox. I only just got the motherboard measured to copy into the studio so I can simulate all of the products together. I shoud carry on building that now. I haven't looked for speakers yet, but I have found an amp. I also have other concerns about the PSU, like how will it work when the battery is run down a bit (and therefore not supplying 12v)? Too many questions and not enough forums to post them on :lol:  Oh yeah, need a keyboard and possibly a touchpad too (but the touchpad may not be compatible with XBMC).

I didn't expect it to be this complex to start with :??: 


I don't think the electronics will be that hard. You can use the HDMI+USB approach, and fabricate a case. I think the case fabrication will be harder. You may have to work with fiberglass, sanding, priming and painting. The fiberglass stuff is not pleasant to work with.
July 28, 2012 4:09:41 PM

Yeah, the electronics should be simple once I know what to do (just remembered I need to lay down all of the tall capacitors on the mobo :(  ). I guess I will just have to wait until I'm back at school to find out if there are tools there to fabricate a case. If not, I will need to seek a place that will do it for me.

The screen might have a component-in. I might be lucky :) 
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2012 4:12:28 PM

Prehistoricman said:
Yeah, the electronics should be simple once I know what to do (just remembered I need to lay down all of the tall capacitors on the mobo :(  ). I guess I will just have to wait until I'm back at school to find out if there are tools there to fabricate a case. If not, I will need to seek a place that will do it for me.

The screen might have a component-in. I might be lucky :) 


Let me know how this ends up.
July 29, 2012 8:32:26 AM

Best answer selected by Prehistoricman.
!