tbunger

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
I have been coming out to Tom’s for years now, have registered on this forum a couple of times (cant ever seem to remember my logins) But never post much, just do a lot of reading. But I just thought the community should here this. So here’s my Rant on ATI’s customer support:

I had purchased a Radon 9700 Pro right after they came out and loved the card. A couple of months after I had the card the fan failed. So I called ATI and was told they could not send me a fan and that my only option was to send the card in. Well not wanting to be without my gaming rig for three weeks I decided to buy a passive heat pipe cooler, all well and good. (Beside the fact that I had to spend 30 bucks on my new vid card) Now I’m looking to upgrade to a new card, but I’m going to install the old 9700 in a Shuttle box. Guess what, Shuttle says the card won’t fit with the heat pipe system. Ok, So I call ATI to see if I can buy a fan for it. No go, they won’t sell me a fan and since it’s out of warrant it’ll cost 75.00 dollars to send it in. But wait you modified the card? We won’t touch it. So now not only will they not sell me a fan they won’t even install one for 75.00 dollars (I doubt I would have done this anyway). So ATI is telling me that the 300.00 video card I bought from them is a throw away because of a 3.00 fan. Now certainly I wont throw the card away and well do some looking for an alternate cooling setup but I just thought you guys should here ATI’s take on this.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Hm.
They offered to fix it for you under warranty, you declined because you didnt want to be without your card (their turnaround time from reciept is 10 days, by the way). They wont just send you a fan because you "said" its broken, they have to repair it and keep it under their warranty. Then you modded the card voiding the warranty, and wanted them to cover it later? Im not sure why you are complaining.

Sorry to say, but ATi did absolutely nothing wrong here.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I totally agree with you. If it had buy any card from any manufacturers they would have done the same thing. When something is on warranty and you don'T want to send it to repair, it's YOUR problem, not the card maker fault!

--
Asus A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> (tbred @ 167x12)
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500LE 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Well not wanting to be without my gaming rig for three weeks I decided to buy a passive heat pipe cooler, all well and good.

yea it sucks when things liek that happen, but ATI offered to fix it for free (as was said), and you chose to decline it and void your warranty with a aftermarket cooler.

nothing is perfect, no company can release a product that has a 0% failure rate. you think nVidia's cards never fail?

i understand were your coming from, but i dont sympathise.

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

Yeah sounds like a personal choice example to me.

I'm all for screwing over the 'don't mod your card policy guys', just ask Titanion and others here. However really, the first rule of modifying is not to tell the MFR you modified their card, and if you do have to return it, make it look 'untouched'.

Rant on, but really in this case you're the master of your own fate/architect of you own Doom3.

So just go out an grab a $3 HSF assembly from your local parts store and chalk this up as a learning experience.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
<b>THIS IS BAD ADVICE -> DO NOT FOLLOW -> once a while its ok but dont do it.</b>
-----------------------------------------------------------

Yup, if u have to modify something, LIE to claim warranty. I had these RAM modules from kingston and I voided the warranty by overclocking and burnt 1GB. But I told the story right and got new 1GB modules.

<b>NOT ME</b>

So was the case when a person I know got DELL to send 2 new 40G HDD, telling them that his old drives were busted. Though he needed to send the old ones back, but they sent 40G instead of the 20G which he will send. They made him follow diagnostic steps and do this that, but while on the phone with him he said he was playing solitare and just saying "yes yes I did that but still doesnt work."

<i> :eek: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek: </i>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i wonder if he thinks nvidia's replacement policy is different? LOL i mean common

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
sounds more like a rant on how difficult of a customer you are, not a rant on ati support.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Good thing he forgets his logins, after this post id forget my login to lol.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 400 Mhz(222),Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800Fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+,WD 80 Gig 7200,GeForce 4 MX440,Nec Multi-Sync LCD 1830,EG465P-VE

hahahahahahahaahhahahahaha...haR! [/owned]

Your own fault...sorry, but it is!

<font color=blue><font color=red>Blow</font color=red> Dry <font color=red>my ass</font color=red> and call me <font color=red>Eden</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

after his post, I'd read it back to my self, then say "I'm just a complete bas!ard :lol: "

Then request to be banned...

Then get shot / killed / raped (in that order)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

<font color=blue><font color=red>Blow</font color=red> Dry <font color=red>my ass</font color=red> and call me <font color=red>Eden</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
:eek: i think u like (obsessed with) the terms <b>"shot / killed / raped (in that order)"</b>

Have u considered therapy. :eek:

<i> :eek: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek: </i>

*Twitches Violently* I'm fine...honest! :eek:

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Asus actually sent me a fan once free for my geforce3 ti 200. Of course I had to call back twice until I found someone who was willing. The first people said it was a gold fan and too expensive. Then the new one failed a week after installation. I put some compusa crap on it for 3 bucks that's lasted years.

Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
The time when I still have my ATI Xpert@Play98 (Rage Pro), when DirectX 7 came out, there is no driver that support for DX7 for Rage Pro (at that time), then I email to ATI asking where i can find the driver that support for dx7 for rage pro, then ATI immediately replied me, saying they already have it, just not on web site yet, if i need one, they can send me one for free.
then in less than 3 days, I got a package from ATI with the driver CD inside. :lol: