I read people are having many many problems with passwords setting.
Administrator and users. Everyone seems to be having problems. PLEASE someone
tell me how to set up basic security which will avopd these problems. I am
prepared to remember my passwords, and to make a disc just in case. Just tell
me how and why to do it. There seem to be many ways to get round the
security. I don't want to be clever, just sensible. How to set up an
Administrator and screensaver security which NO-ONE can get past. No going
round it in Safe Mode or hacking in.
--
Very many thanx

I am stuck in safe mode and it's not allowing a normal restart because I
followed these directions......After checking the safeboot option and
restarting it doesn't go into safe mode. I get an error saying windows did
not start properly use LKgood config or normal startup. It reboots and tries
to open safe mode again. I'm in a loop.
The other problem is that I bought this emachine with xp installed and the
only CD's supplied is a reinstall CD which wipes out all my files.
I know with a xp cd I could get back into the startup and uncheck the
"SAFEBOOT option and I truly believe the pc would start normally and I can
get my files off then format and reinstall everything.

Any Suggestions??????

Bill B801

CCR

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

Your boot.ini file was probably changed to start in SAFE MODE. Look at
boot.ini in your root directory. If you see a line with SAFEBOOT mentioned,
like:

Professional" /fastdetect /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL:(ALTERNATESHELL)

change it to

Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

--
"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be
dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is

- James Madison, Political Observations, 1795

"Bill B801" <BillB801@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am stuck in safe mode and it's not allowing a normal restart because I
> followed these directions......After checking the safeboot option and
> restarting it doesn't go into safe mode. I get an error saying windows did
> not start properly use LKgood config or normal startup. It reboots and
> tries
> to open safe mode again. I'm in a loop.
> The other problem is that I bought this emachine with xp installed and the
> only CD's supplied is a reinstall CD which wipes out all my files.
> I know with a xp cd I could get back into the startup and uncheck the
> "SAFEBOOT option and I truly believe the pc would start normally and I can
> get my files off then format and reinstall everything.
>
> Any Suggestions??????
>
> Bill B801

Thanks for your rapid response but I don't know how to get into the root
directory when all I can see is the startup page then the error message in
this loop. Without a boot disk or CD I'm unable to do anything

Bill

"ccr" wrote:

> Your boot.ini file was probably changed to start in SAFE MODE. Look at
> boot.ini in your root directory. If you see a line with SAFEBOOT mentioned,
> like:
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL:(ALTERNATESHELL)
>
> change it to
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>

> --
> "Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be
> dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is
> the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes...known instruments
> for bringing the many under the domination of the few. . . No nation could
> preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
>
> - James Madison, Political Observations, 1795
>
> "Bill B801" <BillB801@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am stuck in safe mode and it's not allowing a normal restart because I
> > followed these directions......After checking the safeboot option and
> > restarting it doesn't go into safe mode. I get an error saying windows did
> > not start properly use LKgood config or normal startup. It reboots and
> > tries
> > to open safe mode again. I'm in a loop.
> > The other problem is that I bought this emachine with xp installed and the
> > only CD's supplied is a reinstall CD which wipes out all my files.
> > I know with a xp cd I could get back into the startup and uncheck the
> > "SAFEBOOT option and I truly believe the pc would start normally and I can
> > get my files off then format and reinstall everything.
> >
> > Any Suggestions??????
> >
> > Bill B801

On Sat, 7 May 2005 15:32:01 -0700, Bill B801
<BillB801@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your rapid response but I don't know how to get into the root
>directory when all I can see is the startup page then the error message in
>this loop. Without a boot disk or CD I'm unable to do anything

You can download a free NTFS read/write capable boot disk here:
http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

CCR

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004

I guess I'm not really clear on what the evolution of the problem is, or
your level of OS experience. Just a thought:
Have you tried to manually start in safe mode with the F8 key? Just keep
pressing F8 as the boot cycle starts. Perhaps this could get you into the
normal "Safe Mode" selection screen?

> Thanks for your rapid response but I don't know how to get into the root
> directory when all I can see is the startup page then the error message in
> this loop. Without a boot disk or CD I'm unable to do anything
>
> Bill
>
> "ccr" wrote:
>
>> Your boot.ini file was probably changed to start in SAFE MODE. Look at
>> boot.ini in your root directory. If you see a line with SAFEBOOT
>> mentioned,
>> like:
>>
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional" /fastdetect /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL:(ALTERNATESHELL)
>>
>> change it to
>>
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>>

>> --
>> "Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be
>> dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is
>> the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes...known
>> instruments
>> for bringing the many under the domination of the few. . . No nation
>> could
>> preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
>>
>> - James Madison, Political Observations, 1795
>>
>> "Bill B801" <BillB801@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am stuck in safe mode and it's not allowing a normal restart because I
>> > followed these directions......After checking the safeboot option and
>> > restarting it doesn't go into safe mode. I get an error saying windows
>> > did
>> > not start properly use LKgood config or normal startup. It reboots and
>> > tries
>> > to open safe mode again. I'm in a loop.
>> > The other problem is that I bought this emachine with xp installed and
>> > the
>> > only CD's supplied is a reinstall CD which wipes out all my files.
>> > I know with a xp cd I could get back into the startup and uncheck the
>> > "SAFEBOOT option and I truly believe the pc would start normally and I
>> > can
>> > get my files off then format and reinstall everything.
>> >
>> > Any Suggestions??????
>> >
>> > Bill B801

I'm sorry, I was not able to boot into SAFEMODE by using the F8 key so I
followed directions to change the BOOT.INI and check the box next to SAFE
MODE. Now the PC is in a loop booting to an error message and no matter which
option I choose it will not boot normally. I have tried using the F8 key
again to start in normal mode to no avail. My level of experience is above
normal (semi-tech) but not tech enough to get past this problem. (However,
I'm smart enough to seek out help here !!!)

Bill B801
"ccr" wrote:

> I guess I'm not really clear on what the evolution of the problem is, or
> your level of OS experience. Just a thought:
> Have you tried to manually start in safe mode with the F8 key? Just keep
> pressing F8 as the boot cycle starts. Perhaps this could get you into the
> normal "Safe Mode" selection screen?
>

> "Bill B801" <BillB801@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your rapid response but I don't know how to get into the root
> > directory when all I can see is the startup page then the error message in
> > this loop. Without a boot disk or CD I'm unable to do anything
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > "ccr" wrote:
> >
> >> Your boot.ini file was probably changed to start in SAFE MODE. Look at
> >> boot.ini in your root directory. If you see a line with SAFEBOOT
> >> mentioned,
> >> like:
> >>
> >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> >> Professional" /fastdetect /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL:(ALTERNATESHELL)
> >>
> >> change it to
> >>
> >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> >> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> >>

> >> --
> >> "Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be
> >> dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is
> >> the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes...known
> >> instruments
> >> for bringing the many under the domination of the few. . . No nation
> >> could
> >> preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
> >>
> >> - James Madison, Political Observations, 1795
> >>
> >> "Bill B801" <BillB801@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi, my comp was infected and probably still is by the
tojan-spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c and i've seem to have gotten rid of it. but
that's not the problem...it's the add it left on my comp. i've tried
everything to get rid of it (nothing worked). Then after yesturday
night, trying yet again to get rid of it i gave up. Today, when i got
home to try agian, the ad was now a white box on my desktop. i found
out my younger sibling had edited the file (you know, like a notepad
file). she showed me what she did, and now the file is blank. i've no
clue how to get rid of it now =/....please someone help....

-Thanks, Nocturnal

--
NocturnalPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access