ATI VPU Power Consumption Charts @ X-bit

Missed this one, but really something alot of us here are interested in. Glad to have caught it before it went unnoticed. Being as it's ATI only and 'Part 1', expect the nV list to follow shortly.

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html</A>

Power consumption charts for stock and oc'd speeds of a range of ATI cards from the R9600 pro to the X800XTPlatinum.

It would have been nice to see the 0.11 X300 in there just for comparison, oh well.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Not as big a jump from a 9800 to the x800 as i thought.I was under the impression that those cards where power hogs.Maybe thats just nvidias new cards.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=682299587" target="_new">40k in aquamark 3
</A>
P4b2.4@2.8||1024mb DDR@392mhz||9800pro@420/740||Viewsonic UltraBrite 19"||Panisonic DVD-RW

Remember the R9800XT s built on the 0.15 fab and the X800 is 0.11 so that helps. Also rememebr that the GF6800U needs the second molex connector, and even using PCIe the NV45 needs another connector, yet the X800XTPE could almost run without it (at stress draws less than 5 watts more than PCIe).

So there is an efficiency to 0.11 + Low k/d. nV will likely go that route at a later date as well. And of course there's a lot more transistors on the NV40/45.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
I wonder what 35w-55w translates into electric bill?

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>
<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>

eden

Champion
Interesting and surprising results. Very nice to see such power consumption only, at maximum.
The 9600XT and the PRO are especially amazing in their economy. They have fairly good performance yet consume so little. Still though, I'd like to Pentium M technology in desktop silicon. THAT would show some serious power consumption economy.

I am curious to know though, what was the PSU power they used? The system looked high end to me.

If I could know how much a Ti200 draws, I'd know how much of a jump is it to an X800 in power consumption.

--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
<font color=white>XXXXXXX<font color=green>S<font color=white>XXXXXXX
XXXXXX<font color=green>SSS<font color=white>XXXXXX
XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white>

They didn't mention the PSU, but I guess in reality it doesn't really matter for the results.

It will be interesting to see how the nVs stack up, but I doubt they would go much further back than an GF4ti.