3 E D C Keys Randomly Stop Working

Hey guys. I bought an HP Envy 17 non 3D version a while back and just recently I started to notice my 3, E, D, and C keys stop randomly working. I'll push them down real hard when they stop working, and they come back working just fine, doesn't matter how hard I press them afterwards, they pick up the lightest of keystrokes. Is this hardware related, or just another failure by HP?
6 answers Last reply
More about keys randomly stop working
  1. jbleskey said:
    Hey guys. I bought an HP Envy 17 non 3D version a while back and just recently I started to notice my 3, E, D, and C keys stop randomly working. I'll push them down real hard when they stop working, and they come back working just fine, doesn't matter how hard I press them afterwards, they pick up the lightest of keystrokes. Is this hardware related, or just another failure by HP?

"hardware related, or just another failure by HP" - HP integrated all of the hardware.

Who is to blame aside, it sounds like your contacts underneath the keys, underneath the silicon "nipples" are either oxidized and/or the keys were suffering from a manufacturer's defect.

Warranty should cover this, and it might be a real easy fix (swap the keyboard at Hp's expense).
  2. Download Ubuntu and boot off the disc, run the live disc and see if it does the same thing. If it does, the keyboard is bad.
  3. So I saw someone else having dropped key problems with their Envy.. their solution was to enable hardware virtualization in BIOS. So I did that, and it seems to not be completely cutting out the keys now. If I press one of the 4 keys and it doesn't register, I press it again and they (all 4) start to work for a random amount of time. I also switched the fn key function on the F keys.. weird how it is working now
  4. jbleskey said:
    So I saw someone else having dropped key problems with their Envy.. their solution was to enable hardware virtualization in BIOS. So I did that, and it seems to not be completely cutting out the keys now. If I press one of the 4 keys and it doesn't register, I press it again and they (all 4) start to work for a random amount of time. I also switched the fn key function on the F keys.. weird how it is working now

Bizarre, I have not heard of this solution, or problem on other laptops except when someone pours beverage on the keyboard...
  5. Maxx_Power said:
    Bizarre, I have not heard of this solution, or problem on other laptops except when someone pours beverage on the keyboard...

Haha. Okay, so I guess problem solved for now.. will post back if something drastic happens.
  6. jbleskey said:
    Haha. Okay, so I guess problem solved for now.. will post back if something drastic happens.

Let us know. I'm very curious.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hewlett Packard 3D Laptops