will doom 3 run on my system?

slimfast64

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
will doom 3 run on the following system?

centrino 1.4 ghx
512MB PC2100 ddr
Ati mobility radeon 9200 64MB

If it will run, how well?

thanks

min FPS 15 - Max FPS 30 (@640*400 low quality) my guess.
If you'd taken the time to look around the boards instead of just posting, you would have noticed a thread called "Doom 3 Guide" or something like that. You may find the link in that thread to be of some use.

<font color=blue><font color=red>Blow</font color=red> Dry <font color=red>my ass</font color=red> and call me <font color=red>Eden</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

cleeve

Illustrious
Doom3 will run on any system with 384 megs of ram and a Dx9 compatible video card.

But just because it will run does not mean it will not suck. I'm afraid you'll be limited to 640x480 with lots of eye candy turned off, friend.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
The game may not run because your CPU is about 100MHz below the minimum spec, but you'll have to wait and see what the installer says. If it's a problem then you could try overclocking your CPU to reach the minimum spec, but once again you have to wait and see. You should have a decent experience on your system otherwise. The 9200 supports some of the cooler effects also, although you're going to have to do low res. (which may be a problem with your laptop's LCD) and low detail, but otherwise it should still look great. With those settings you should get mostly 30+ FPS I would imagine.

eden

Champion
Uhh, a 1.4GHZ Centrino kicks a 1.5GHZ P4 out of the curb hands down. It has about the performance of a 1.8GHZ NW!

--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
<font color=white>XXXXXXX<font color=green>S<font color=white>XXXXXXX
XXXXXX<font color=green>SSS<font color=white>XXXXXX
XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white>

yep, the 9100 / 9200 are dx8.1 cards. All other 9xxx are D.X9 cards

<font color=blue><font color=red>Blow</font color=red> Dry <font color=red>my ass</font color=red> and call me <font color=red>Eden</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
I don't think that will happen. iD wouldn't restrict their game like that. There are games which will, for example, alert you that you are under minimum specs, or that your card is not powerful enough to run the game, and in the latter, it won't launch. I know this happens for Grand Theft Auto III, where trying it with a 16MB card won't work.

Besides, they said a P4 1.5GHZ OR an AthlonXP 1500+, which as we all know, is at 1.33GHZ! I run an XP1600+ 1.4GHZ, for example. It HAS to work, the XP1600+ is far better than the 1.5GHZ P4.
--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
<font color=white>XXXXXXX<font color=green>S<font color=white>XXXXXXX
XXXXXX<font color=green>SSS<font color=white>XXXXXX
XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 07/30/04 06:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Exactly, like Morrowind I was able to run on a friend's Compaq laptop that was a ~366mhz K6-2(?) w/ 160mb ram + 8mb graphics chip (don't rememebr type). Well under the minimum requirements of PIII 500mhz, 256mb, 32mb graphics. Sure it was GLACIAL, but it allowed me to do alot of traveling, trading, and story continuation. I avoided fighting for obvious reasons, but it still ran, albeit very VERY slowly. And that's likely what would happen if D3 is underpowered. However I doubt that there would be much use for a slow D3, because there's not alot of preparation and non-fighting stuff from the looks of things.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: