TECH: Any Atari System 1 Experts in the crowd?

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Road Blasters upright that I just recently aquired that has a
video issue. Just a little bit of a back story, this unit was on
location last summer until the monitor quit working where it was stuck
at the back of the guy's warehouse and left. Fast forward to last week
when I brought this thing home. I cracked open the cabinet to find the
focus wire coming from the flyback ot the neckboard had shorted to the
v-pos wire on the monitor chassis (this is a K4900 BTW). I tossed in a
known good K4900 chassis to bring the monitor back to life, but all
I'm getting now on the screen is a scrambled image. the image is
mostly white, but you can see colour in the scrambled area at the top.
The game plays blind, and you can see changes in the screen as the
game does it's thing. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong
with this, or how I can test it a little farther? I was thinking of
replacing the LS368 hex inverter that drives the sync output to see if
that makes any difference, but I'm really just shooting in the dark. I
have eliminated the game cart as the source of the problem as I have
tested it on another System 1 Main board that I have here amd it works
fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed with this? I
haven't had any luck finding test procedures on the 'net, but I do
have the schematics for the board.

Thanks!
James

Photo somewhere?

"James" <rictus55@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Road Blasters upright that I just recently aquired that has a
> video issue. Just a little bit of a back story, this unit was on
> location last summer until the monitor quit working where it was stuck
> at the back of the guy's warehouse and left. Fast forward to last week
> when I brought this thing home. I cracked open the cabinet to find the
> focus wire coming from the flyback ot the neckboard had shorted to the
> v-pos wire on the monitor chassis (this is a K4900 BTW). I tossed in a
> known good K4900 chassis to bring the monitor back to life, but all
> I'm getting now on the screen is a scrambled image. the image is
> mostly white, but you can see colour in the scrambled area at the top.
> The game plays blind, and you can see changes in the screen as the
> game does it's thing. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong
> with this, or how I can test it a little farther? I was thinking of
> replacing the LS368 hex inverter that drives the sync output to see if
> that makes any difference, but I'm really just shooting in the dark. I
> have eliminated the game cart as the source of the problem as I have
> tested it on another System 1 Main board that I have here amd it works
> fine.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed with this? I
> haven't had any luck finding test procedures on the 'net, but I do
> have the schematics for the board.
>
> Thanks!
> James

don't take this as an insult, but you still don't know if you have a known
good monitor.

If possible, move the game close to another game and test out the monitor
with the other games video, or plug the game into monitor of the other game.
Then you know for sure whats going on.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"James" <rictus55@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Road Blasters upright that I just recently aquired that has a
> video issue. Just a little bit of a back story, this unit was on
> location last summer until the monitor quit working where it was stuck
> at the back of the guy's warehouse and left. Fast forward to last week
> when I brought this thing home. I cracked open the cabinet to find the
> focus wire coming from the flyback ot the neckboard had shorted to the
> v-pos wire on the monitor chassis (this is a K4900 BTW). I tossed in a
> known good K4900 chassis to bring the monitor back to life, but all
> I'm getting now on the screen is a scrambled image. the image is
> mostly white, but you can see colour in the scrambled area at the top.
> The game plays blind, and you can see changes in the screen as the
> game does it's thing. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong
> with this, or how I can test it a little farther? I was thinking of
> replacing the LS368 hex inverter that drives the sync output to see if
> that makes any difference, but I'm really just shooting in the dark. I
> have eliminated the game cart as the source of the problem as I have
> tested it on another System 1 Main board that I have here amd it works
> fine.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed with this? I
> haven't had any luck finding test procedures on the 'net, but I do
> have the schematics for the board.
>
> Thanks!
> James

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I guess I should have made this statement in my original post a
little clearer. I have tested the game cart with another System 1 Main
board in this cabinet and the video comes up fine. The monitor is not
an issue. The problem lies on the original Main Borad.

Looks like a board issue to me too, I'd peruse the schems and use a logic
comparator on the chips in the video section to start. It'd probably be
time/cost effective to buy a new mainboard if you don't have the tools to
effectively repair this.

So you said you tried this monitor with a known good game to rule it out
right?

> Pictures as requested.
>
> http://image38.webshots.com/38/8/98/60/339289860HnJHUc_ph.jpg
>
> http://image12.webshots.com/12/8/98/83/339289883tMhnfd_ph.jpg
>
> Any thoughts?

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yep, that is correct, the monitor has been verified to be working
correctly. I'm good at repairing monitors, not so hot when it comes to
diagnosing logic boards.

I'm really hoping someone has seen this before and can tell me what to
check. I do have an oscilliscope and logic probe at my disposal as
well as the standard DMM.

Going to be very tough and probably not worth the time with those tools and
esp. if you don't have the schems.

> I'm really hoping someone has seen this before and can tell me what to
> check. I do have an oscilliscope and logic probe at my disposal as
> well as the standard DMM.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Shematics I have, what I'm lacking is the knowledge of the inner
workings of some of the circuits involved.