How to remove COM ports

Does anyone know how to view and remove COM ports in Windows XP? Every time
bluetooth ports are added, the COM port number keep increasing. I am up to
COM21 now. My Bluetooth application cannot use COM ports beyond COM8.

Thanks,
OCS1007
3 answers Last reply
More about remove ports

    Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove all instances of COM ports
    you find, reboot, and Windows should re-detect and list however many you
    really have.

    "ocs1007" <ocs1007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to view and remove COM ports in Windows XP? Every
    > time
    > bluetooth ports are added, the COM port number keep increasing. I am up to
    > COM21 now. My Bluetooth application cannot use COM ports beyond COM8.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > OCS1007

    >"ocs1007" <ocs1007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know how to view and remove COM ports in Windows XP? Every
    >> time
    >> bluetooth ports are added, the COM port number keep increasing. I am up to
    >> COM21 now. My Bluetooth application cannot use COM ports beyond COM8.

    The below link might be of interest. XP has a problem with USB
    serial devices causing the incrementing numbers each time the
    device is installed. I've fixed this by going to the advanced
    section of the comport propertys for the USB device and
    reassigning the device to the desired com port number. Pick a
    comport number that you know isn't being used, such as 5, and
    then assign the bluetooth device to this com port. Windows will
    say it is already in use, but ignore this and make the
    assignment. From then on the USB device should use that
    particular comport when it is installed.

    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/xptip.asp
  3. my laptop has port 1, when i use a BT device like you say it locks up that port and keeps adding on so what i do to release a port is goto device manager then to advanced reassign port 1 to the port i want to release then uninstall that port, after rebooting port 1 is automatically reastablished and the port i need is now free up again kind of a pain but works

Bluetooth Windows XP