TECH: WG K7000 deflection trouble

bill

Hey all,

This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my 6
player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now that
I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC; that's
not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.

http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Come to think of it I came across a K7000 doing the same thing about 3 weeks
ago. It ended up being a trace that looked good but was lifted off of the
board a bit. It was around the vertical output IC.

Matt
"Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
> 6
> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
> that
> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
> that's
> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
>
> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
>
> Thanks for any help.

It looks like there is a partial vertical collapse. 24V DC is the supply for
the vertical IC, and if it's not proper, check R91, D25. The possibility
exists that the yolk is causing a problem so unplug the yolk when checking
the 24V and check it plugged in. Also check R82, R83, C48 and C50.

"Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
> 6
> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
> that
> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
> that's
> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
>
> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
>
> Thanks for any help.

Unless your meter is a Fluke or other very good meter it will read AC
voltage at DC connections.

What do you get when you check the DC scale?

Matt

"G. Silber" <gsilber666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It looks like there is a partial vertical collapse. 24V DC is the supply
> for the vertical IC, and if it's not proper, check R91, D25. The
> possibility exists that the yolk is causing a problem so unplug the yolk
> when checking the 24V and check it plugged in. Also check R82, R83, C48
> and C50.
>
> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
>> Hey all,
>>
>> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
>> 6
>> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
>> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
>> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
>> that
>> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
>> that's
>> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
>> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
>> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
>>
>> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

A "good" meter has nothing to do with what you read.

"Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Unless your meter is a Fluke or other very good meter it will read AC
> voltage at DC connections.
>
> What do you get when you check the DC scale?
>
> Matt
>
> "G. Silber" <gsilber666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It looks like there is a partial vertical collapse. 24V DC is the supply
>> for the vertical IC, and if it's not proper, check R91, D25. The
>> possibility exists that the yolk is causing a problem so unplug the yolk
>> when checking the 24V and check it plugged in. Also check R82, R83, C48
>> and C50.
>>
>> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in
>>> my 6
>>> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
>>> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
>>> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
>>> that
>>> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
>>> that's
>>> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
>>> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
>>> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
>>>
>>> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.

It does with an average meter. Try reading a known good +5. I'd be willing
to bet your going to get an AC reading of some sort. Flukes, and some other
meters, can actually find and display accurate AC voltage that's hidden
within a DC line like when a capacitor is bad. Most meters will show AC when
there's none, or very little, present.

>A "good" meter has nothing to do with what you read.
>
> "Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Unless your meter is a Fluke or other very good meter it will read AC
>> voltage at DC connections.
>>
>> What do you get when you check the DC scale?
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> "G. Silber" <gsilber666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> It looks like there is a partial vertical collapse. 24V DC is the supply
>>> for the vertical IC, and if it's not proper, check R91, D25. The
>>> possibility exists that the yolk is causing a problem so unplug the yolk
>>> when checking the 24V and check it plugged in. Also check R82, R83, C48
>>> and C50.
>>>
>>> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message

bill

I checked for 24 VDC at pin 6 of IC3. With the yoke off, I get 27VDC, with
it still attached I get 25 VDC.

"Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
6
> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
that
> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
that's
> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
>
> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
>
> Thanks for any help.

It looks like I misinterpreted what you said before in that you measured
some AC on your DC line, and I thought that was all you were reading, which
is why I took exception to the other poster. Your vertical supply is good.
The problem looks like a bad C48, but you said you changed the caps. Still
make sure that cap and C40 and C50 are good. Did you adjust the 50 - 60Hz
pot?

>I checked for 24 VDC at pin 6 of IC3. With the yoke off, I get 27VDC, with
> it still attached I get 25 VDC.
>
> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
>> Hey all,
>>
>> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
> 6
>> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
>> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
>> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
> that
>> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
> that's
>> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
>> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
>> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
>>
>> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

bill

I'll double chec those cabs. Also, I did mess with that 50 60 hz pot. I'll
look into that also. Thanks.
> It looks like I misinterpreted what you said before in that you measured
> some AC on your DC line, and I thought that was all you were reading,
which
> is why I took exception to the other poster. Your vertical supply is good.
> The problem looks like a bad C48, but you said you changed the caps. Still
> make sure that cap and C40 and C50 are good. Did you adjust the 50 - 60Hz
> pot?
>
> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
> >I checked for 24 VDC at pin 6 of IC3. With the yoke off, I get 27VDC,
with
> > it still attached I get 25 VDC.
> >
> > "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in
my
> > 6
> >> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
> >> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I
had
> >> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
> > that
> >> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
> > that's
> >> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
> >> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas
on
> >> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
> >>
> >> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.

bill

I was checking out Randy Fromm's tech page and found something interesting.
He mentions a capacitor that's in series with pin 4 of the yoke. It seems
there are 2 of these caps. The symptom I have matches the one he describes
if this (these) caps are bad. Any thoughts?

>I was checking out Randy Fromm's tech page and found something interesting.
> He mentions a capacitor that's in series with pin 4 of the yoke. It seems
> there are 2 of these caps. The symptom I have matches the one he describes
> if this (these) caps are bad. Any thoughts?
>

> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
>> Hey all,
>>
>> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
> 6
>> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
>> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
>> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
> that
>> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
> that's
>> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
>> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
>> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
>>
>> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

Most anything in the vertical section can give you a problem. The components
I mentioned (in my experience) have had the highest failure rate. It's not
like there are a lot of components to check. At this point you need no more
thoughts, download the schematic, get in there and figure it out.

Hey Bill... I think I asked this before but where are you located? Your
problem has me intrigued. I'd like to take a stab at it if that's cool with
you.

Matt

"Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
> 6
> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
> that
> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
> that's
> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
>
> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
>
> Thanks for any help.

bill

Matt,

Are you from Michigan or were you thinking of having me ship you the chassis
to be looked at?
> Hey Bill... I think I asked this before but where are you located? Your
> problem has me intrigued. I'd like to take a stab at it if that's cool
with
> you.
>
> Matt
>
> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
> > Hey all,
> >
> > This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in
my
> > 6
> > player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
> > tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
> > checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
> > that
> > I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
> > that's
> > not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
> > according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
> > this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
> >
> > http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

OK, Michigan is a little out of my way... I'm on the west coast in
California. If you want to ship the chassis please see below.

Pay for shipping back and forth and a flat rate of $40.00 for the repair.

Here's the address to ship to.

Hopson Enterprises : ATTN Matt
133 Commerce Street Suite 101
Lodi, Ca 95240