TECH: WG K7000 deflection trouble

Hey all,

This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my 6
player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now that
I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC; that's
not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.

http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg

Thanks for any help.
13 answers Last reply
More about tech k7000 deflection trouble

    Come to think of it I came across a K7000 doing the same thing about 3 weeks
    ago. It ended up being a trace that looked good but was lifted off of the
    board a bit. It was around the vertical output IC.

    Matt
    "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
    > 6
    > player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    > tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    > checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    > that
    > I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    > that's
    > not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    > according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    > this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >
    > http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    It looks like there is a partial vertical collapse. 24V DC is the supply for
    the vertical IC, and if it's not proper, check R91, D25. The possibility
    exists that the yolk is causing a problem so unplug the yolk when checking
    the 24V and check it plugged in. Also check R82, R83, C48 and C50.

    "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
    > 6
    > player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    > tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    > checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    > that
    > I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    > that's
    > not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    > according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    > this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >
    > http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Unless your meter is a Fluke or other very good meter it will read AC
    voltage at DC connections.

    What do you get when you check the DC scale?

    Matt

    "G. Silber" <gsilber666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It looks like there is a partial vertical collapse. 24V DC is the supply
    > for the vertical IC, and if it's not proper, check R91, D25. The
    > possibility exists that the yolk is causing a problem so unplug the yolk
    > when checking the 24V and check it plugged in. Also check R82, R83, C48
    > and C50.
    >
    > "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
    >> 6
    >> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    >> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    >> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    >> that
    >> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    >> that's
    >> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    >> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    >> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >>
    >> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    A "good" meter has nothing to do with what you read.

    "Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Unless your meter is a Fluke or other very good meter it will read AC
    > voltage at DC connections.
    >
    > What do you get when you check the DC scale?
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "G. Silber" <gsilber666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> It looks like there is a partial vertical collapse. 24V DC is the supply
    >> for the vertical IC, and if it's not proper, check R91, D25. The
    >> possibility exists that the yolk is causing a problem so unplug the yolk
    >> when checking the 24V and check it plugged in. Also check R82, R83, C48
    >> and C50.
    >>
    >> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    >>> Hey all,
    >>>
    >>> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in
    >>> my 6
    >>> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    >>> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    >>> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    >>> that
    >>> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    >>> that's
    >>> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    >>> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    >>> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >>>
    >>> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.

    It does with an average meter. Try reading a known good +5. I'd be willing
    to bet your going to get an AC reading of some sort. Flukes, and some other
    meters, can actually find and display accurate AC voltage that's hidden
    within a DC line like when a capacitor is bad. Most meters will show AC when
    there's none, or very little, present.

    >A "good" meter has nothing to do with what you read.
    >
    > "Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Unless your meter is a Fluke or other very good meter it will read AC
    >> voltage at DC connections.
    >>
    >> What do you get when you check the DC scale?
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>
    >> "G. Silber" <gsilber666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> It looks like there is a partial vertical collapse. 24V DC is the supply
    >>> for the vertical IC, and if it's not proper, check R91, D25. The
    >>> possibility exists that the yolk is causing a problem so unplug the yolk
    >>> when checking the 24V and check it plugged in. Also check R82, R83, C48
    >>> and C50.
    >>>
    >>> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message

    I checked for 24 VDC at pin 6 of IC3. With the yoke off, I get 27VDC, with
    it still attached I get 25 VDC.

    "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
    6
    > player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    > tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    > checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    that
    > I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    that's
    > not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    > according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    > this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >
    > http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    It looks like I misinterpreted what you said before in that you measured
    some AC on your DC line, and I thought that was all you were reading, which
    is why I took exception to the other poster. Your vertical supply is good.
    The problem looks like a bad C48, but you said you changed the caps. Still
    make sure that cap and C40 and C50 are good. Did you adjust the 50 - 60Hz
    pot?

    >I checked for 24 VDC at pin 6 of IC3. With the yoke off, I get 27VDC, with
    > it still attached I get 25 VDC.
    >
    > "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
    > 6
    >> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    >> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    >> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    > that
    >> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    > that's
    >> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    >> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    >> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >>
    >> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'll double chec those cabs. Also, I did mess with that 50 60 hz pot. I'll
    look into that also. Thanks.
    > It looks like I misinterpreted what you said before in that you measured
    > some AC on your DC line, and I thought that was all you were reading,
    which
    > is why I took exception to the other poster. Your vertical supply is good.
    > The problem looks like a bad C48, but you said you changed the caps. Still
    > make sure that cap and C40 and C50 are good. Did you adjust the 50 - 60Hz
    > pot?
    >
    > "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    > >I checked for 24 VDC at pin 6 of IC3. With the yoke off, I get 27VDC,
    with
    > > it still attached I get 25 VDC.
    > >
    > > "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    > >> Hey all,
    > >>
    > >> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in
    my
    > > 6
    > >> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    > >> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I
    had
    > >> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    > > that
    > >> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    > > that's
    > >> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    > >> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas
    on
    > >> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    > >>
    > >> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help.

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I was checking out Randy Fromm's tech page and found something interesting.
    He mentions a capacitor that's in series with pin 4 of the yoke. It seems
    there are 2 of these caps. The symptom I have matches the one he describes
    if this (these) caps are bad. Any thoughts?

    "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
    6
    > player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    > tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    > checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    that
    > I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    that's
    > not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    > according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    > this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >
    > http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    >I was checking out Randy Fromm's tech page and found something interesting.
    > He mentions a capacitor that's in series with pin 4 of the yoke. It seems
    > there are 2 of these caps. The symptom I have matches the one he describes
    > if this (these) caps are bad. Any thoughts?
    >

    > "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
    > 6
    >> player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    >> tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    >> checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    > that
    >> I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    > that's
    >> not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    >> according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    >> this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >>
    >> http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    Most anything in the vertical section can give you a problem. The components
    I mentioned (in my experience) have had the highest failure rate. It's not
    like there are a lot of components to check. At this point you need no more
    thoughts, download the schematic, get in there and figure it out.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hey Bill... I think I asked this before but where are you located? Your
    problem has me intrigued. I'd like to take a stab at it if that's cool with
    you.

    Matt

    "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in my
    > 6
    > player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    > tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    > checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    > that
    > I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    > that's
    > not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    > according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    > this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >
    > http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Matt,

    Are you from Michigan or were you thinking of having me ship you the chassis
    to be looked at?
    > Hey Bill... I think I asked this before but where are you located? Your
    > problem has me intrigued. I'd like to take a stab at it if that's cool
    with
    > you.
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in
    my
    > > 6
    > > player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    > > tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I had
    > > checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    > > that
    > > I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    > > that's
    > > not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    > > according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas on
    > > this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    > >
    > > http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    OK, Michigan is a little out of my way... I'm on the west coast in
    California. If you want to ship the chassis please see below.

    Pay for shipping back and forth and a flat rate of $40.00 for the repair.

    Here's the address to ship to.

    Hopson Enterprises : ATTN Matt
    133 Commerce Street Suite 101
    Lodi, Ca 95240
    916-275-5871

    > Matt,
    >
    > Are you from Michigan or were you thinking of having me ship you the
    > chassis
    > to be looked at?
    > "Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey Bill... I think I asked this before but where are you located? Your
    >> problem has me intrigued. I'd like to take a stab at it if that's cool
    > with
    >> you.
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>
    >> "Bill" <miekkawiREMOVETHIS@msu.edu> wrote in message
    >> > Hey all,
    >> >
    >> > This is my 2nd update on past threads. I' have a WG K7000 that goes in
    > my
    >> > 6
    >> > player X-Men. The monitor was dead so a new flyback, cap kit, HOT, and
    >> > tantalum cap were all installed courtesy of Bob Roberts. I thought I
    >> > had
    >> > checked the voltage of IC3 (which was replaced along with IC2) but now
    >> > that
    >> > I've gone back and re-checked it, I'm getting about 3.5 volts of AC;
    >> > that's
    >> > not a typo, I'm getting 3.5 AC where I should be getting 24 volts DC
    >> > according to Fromm's flowchart (meter set to auto ranging). Any ideas
    >> > on
    >> > this one? Here's a picture of what the monitor is doing.
    >> >
    >> > http://msu.edu/~miekkawi/misc/xmenproblem.jpg
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any help.

Monitors Video Games