problem fpoppy

When retrieving information from a floppy I receive a message stating disk
not formatted or no disk. This doesn't happen with all disks. I am not sure
if this is a problem with the drive or the disk. If it is with the disk is
there a way of retrieving the information. The information is stored as MS
word.
..
I hope someone can assist as I have my work history and resumes stored on
one of the affected disks.

Thanks Ray

Rayumond Chapman wrote:
> When retrieving information from a floppy I receive a message
> stating disk not formatted or no disk. This doesn't happen with all
> disks. I am not sure if this is a problem with the drive or the disk.
> If it is with the disk is there a way of retrieving the information.
> The information is stored as MS word.
> .
> I hope someone can assist as I have my work history and resumes
> stored on one of the affected disks.

You are copying the files off the diskette before editing them, right?
It is an extremely bad idea - particularly for Microsoft Office documents -
to work from a floppy disk or any removeable media for that matter
directly.. The files should always be copied to the local hard disk first..
Thensaved and closed and copied back if needed.

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

Alan

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Rayumond Chapman wrote:
>
>>When retrieving information from a floppy I receive a message
>>stating disk not formatted or no disk. This doesn't happen with all
>>disks. I am not sure if this is a problem with the drive or the disk.
>>If it is with the disk is there a way of retrieving the information.
>>The information is stored as MS word.
>>.
>>I hope someone can assist as I have my work history and resumes
>>stored on one of the affected disks.
>

> You are copying the files off the diskette before editing them, right?
> It is an extremely bad idea - particularly for Microsoft Office documents -
> to work from a floppy disk or any removeable media for that matter
> directly.. The files should always be copied to the local hard disk first..
> Thensaved and closed and copied back if needed.

If the OS thinks that the disk isnt formatted than copying the files off
first really cant happen...

Assuming that you arent mixing Mac and Windows (may be possible these
days, not sure tho) I would try the floppies on another computer or 2.
If they work, then its the floppy drive. Floppy drives are dirt-cheap
to replace, but Labor may get you if you or frields dont know how.

Alan wrote:
> If the OS thinks that the disk isnt formatted than copying the files
> off first really cant happen...
>
> Assuming that you arent mixing Mac and Windows (may be possible these
> days, not sure tho) I would try the floppies on another computer or
> 2. If they work, then its the floppy drive. Floppy drives are
> dirt-cheap to replace, but Labor may get you if you or frields dont
> know how.

Yes - this is true, now. But working with the data while on the diskette
can cause this - I was trying to get a cause/effect - like the mixing
mac/windows thing you pointed out. Switching between some versions of
windows can also give this result. I have seen it happen between Windows 98
FE and Windows XP - where the diskette is still 100% usable on the Windows
98 PC, but cannot be read and considered unusable on Windows XP machines.
Strange thing is I have had these floppy diskettes recover nicely when read
in a Macintosh..

My dislike of floppy diskettes is not hidden here.. With CD-R/CD-RW media so
cheap and even the applications that allow packet-writing (albeit still
unstable in my opinion, better than floppy diskettes..) easy to
obtain/install/use.. Floppy diskettes need to go away. heh

As for suggestions - try reading them on another machine as Alan suggested.
Then follow up by changing media to store/transfer your files. =) Better
yet - use EMAIL or a file server that is backed up.

--