local disk opens on xp startup

May 8, 2005 4:22:02 AM

I just did a format and restore and this problem started were when I turn on
the computer my local drive opens at start up.
I have run a google about this prob and nothing sugested has worked. I have
looked in all the start up folders to delet the link but there is nothing
there. I have looked at my registry and that all looks fine. I have done F/R
on this macine before and this is a new problem. I am by no means an expert
but I am not a novice. can some one give me a hand
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:25:08 PM

Hi,

Does it open to a specific folder? Or just to the drive?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"paisly" <paisly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just did a format and restore and this problem started were when I turn
>on
> the computer my local drive opens at start up.
> I have run a google about this prob and nothing sugested has worked. I
> have
> looked in all the start up folders to delet the link but there is nothing
> there. I have looked at my registry and that all looks fine. I have done
> F/R
> on this macine before and this is a new problem. I am by no means an
> expert
> but I am not a novice. can some one give me a hand
May 8, 2005 5:46:00 PM

I had this problem but it was the My Documents forder that opened on
startup. One of the MVPs offered this fix and it fixed my problem:
Gail,

From previous newsgroup post by Doug Knox - MVP:

<quote>
Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Look in the right pane for a value called Userinit. Its value should read:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Including the trailing comma. If it reads anything else, double click
the Userinit value and change it. This assumes that XP is installed on
C:\Windows. If not, adjust the command line accordingly.

</quote>

If that does not help, see what startup applications are running. Get the
Autoruns utility (as they call "superset of MSConfig") from
www.sysinternals.com and inspect the startup programs.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User