monitor resolution after reinstalling xp

Hello, My friend has just brought a second hand dell computer from cash
converters. We encountered a few problems when we first set it up, and
returned to cashies to complain. They told us to reinstall windows xp (home
edition service pack 1) and start from scratch so that is what we did. After
reinstalling, the monitor resolution is at its minimum and i have tried
changing it without any success. Does anyone have any suggestions before i
take it back and demand my money back.

Hi Sammi

Have you tried downloading the lastest graphics drivers from the Dell
website for that model of dell pc?

At present I can't even access the net so i can't download anything

"sammi" <sammi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, My friend has just brought a second hand dell computer from cash
> converters. We encountered a few problems when we first set it up, and
> returned to cashies to complain. They told us to reinstall windows xp
> (home
> edition service pack 1) and start from scratch so that is what we did.
> After
> reinstalling, the monitor resolution is at its minimum and i have tried
> changing it without any success. Does anyone have any suggestions before i
> take it back and demand my money back.

Sammi

You will have to use a computer that has access to the internet and a CD
burner installed. Go to Dell's web site and download all the drivers you can
find for that model. Burn them to CD then install them on the Dell computer.
The order to install them should be: motherboard chipset, video card, sound,
NIC, modem then anything else. You may also be able to order a recovery
DVD/CD disc from Dell that would return the pc to the factory setup. Failing
this you would have to identify all the hardware in the computer and get the
drivers from the manufacturer's sites.

Kerry

map

Mike Pawlak
"sammi" <sammi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, My friend has just brought a second hand dell computer from cash
> converters. We encountered a few problems when we first set it up, and
> returned to cashies to complain. They told us to reinstall windows xp
(home
> edition service pack 1) and start from scratch so that is what we did.
After
> reinstalling, the monitor resolution is at its minimum and i have tried
> changing it without any success. Does anyone have any suggestions before i
> take it back and demand my money back.

Install the latest drivers for the video card and try it again.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_device_drivers.htm

Sammi

If you friend chooses to buy a computer from a 'pawn' shop, then your friend
has to accept 'pawn' shop quality support.. i.e NONE.. they are not bound to
refund either..

So what next?.. your friend could call Dell, but unless it is a very new
model, expect them to be able to do little.. you could download drivers for
your friend, save them to CD and then pass them on.. or your friend could
install a cheap XP compatible modem, and download drivers from the Dell
site..

There is no doubt that the computer could be made to work well, but it will
take a little learning, a little expertise, common sense, and effort..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"sammi" <sammi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, My friend has just brought a second hand dell computer from cash
> converters. We encountered a few problems when we first set it up, and
> returned to cashies to complain. They told us to reinstall windows xp
> (home
> edition service pack 1) and start from scratch so that is what we did.
> After
> reinstalling, the monitor resolution is at its minimum and i have tried
> changing it without any success. Does anyone have any suggestions before i
> take it back and demand my money back.

Alan

Kerry Brown wrote:
> "sammi" <sammi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hello, My friend has just brought a second hand dell computer from cash
>>converters. We encountered a few problems when we first set it up, and
>>returned to cashies to complain. They told us to reinstall windows xp
>>(home
>>edition service pack 1) and start from scratch so that is what we did.
>>After
>>reinstalling, the monitor resolution is at its minimum and i have tried
>>changing it without any success. Does anyone have any suggestions before i
>>take it back and demand my money back.
>

> Sammi
>
> You will have to use a computer that has access to the internet and a CD
> burner installed. Go to Dell's web site and download all the drivers you can
> find for that model. Burn them to CD then install them on the Dell computer.
> The order to install them should be: motherboard chipset, video card, sound,
> NIC, modem then anything else. You may also be able to order a recovery
> DVD/CD disc from Dell that would return the pc to the factory setup. Failing
> this you would have to identify all the hardware in the computer and get the
> drivers from the manufacturer's sites.
>
> Kerry

Low screen resolution shouldnt prevent you from getting online. It may
not be fun to work in 640x480, but its completely doable.

TRENDING THREADS