mcaree32 virus

May 8, 2005 12:57:47 PM

Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot. What
else can I do? I am running xp home.

More about : mcaree32 virus

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 6:02:53 PM

Hi,
Try going to macAfee web site for the removal tool or tech support.

http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp?cid=10529

good luck

On Sun, 8 May 2005 08:57:47 -0500, "Poor Richard"
<richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
>system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
>mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
>file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
>regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
>find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot. What
>else can I do? I am running xp home.

May 8, 2005 8:47:34 PM

It's nothing to do with McAfee...try google.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Try going to macAfee web site for the removal tool or tech support.
>
> http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp?cid=10529
>
> good luck
>
> On Sun, 8 May 2005 08:57:47 -0500, "Poor Richard"
> <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
>>system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
>>mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
>>file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
>>regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
>>find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
>>What
>>else can I do? I am running xp home.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 11:41:00 PM

Hi,

You will likely find a string that references that file in one of these keys
of the registry:

Click start/run and type regedit. Click ok, then expand the keys (left side)
by clicking the plus (+) signs to reach the keys listed above. Click on the
key, then examine the strings listed in the right hand pane. Locate the one
that loads mcafee32.exe, click on it and hit the delete key. That's all
there is to it, just close up the registry editor and go on about your day.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
> system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
> mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
> file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
> regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
> find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
> What
> else can I do? I am running xp home.

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:34:49 AM

Richard,

More startup locations: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
> system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
> mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
> file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
> regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
> find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
> What
> else can I do? I am running xp home.

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 12:41:39 PM

These are all well and good, but like I said, I did a search of the c:\
drive, examined msconfig, and did a find using regedit and none of them
found mcafee. Is it possible that it is called from another program and the
name is buried in code?

Richard,

More startup locations: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
> system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
> mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
> file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
> regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
> find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
> What
> else can I do? I am running xp home.

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:25:07 PM

Richard,

In the first post, you mentioned both the executable names:

1. mcfaee32.exe
2. mcafee32.exe

Have you searched for both the entries? It's also possible that a different
file remaining in the Startup acting as a stub, and triggers either of the
above files. Inspect the Startup programs, and compare the onces given in
these pages:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> These are all well and good, but like I said, I did a search of the c:\
> drive, examined msconfig, and did a find using regedit and none of them
> found mcafee. Is it possible that it is called from another program and
> the
> name is buried in code?

> Richard,
>
> More startup locations: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
>> system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
>> mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
>> file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
>> regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and
>> cannot
>> find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
>> What
>> else can I do? I am running xp home.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:25:08 PM

I'm sorry, mcafee is the name not mcaree. I only searched for the partial
mcafee, thinking that it would find any name containing mcafee.

!