mcaree32 virus

Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot. What
else can I do? I am running xp home.
7 answers Last reply
More about mcaree32 virus

    Hi,
    Try going to macAfee web site for the removal tool or tech support.

    http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp?cid=10529

    good luck

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 08:57:47 -0500, "Poor Richard"
    <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote:

    >Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
    >system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
    >mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
    >file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
    >regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
    >find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot. What
    >else can I do? I am running xp home.

    It's nothing to do with McAfee...try google.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "zubzero" <subzero@itscold.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Try going to macAfee web site for the removal tool or tech support.
    >
    > http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp?cid=10529
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > On Sun, 8 May 2005 08:57:47 -0500, "Poor Richard"
    > <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
    >>system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
    >>mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
    >>file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
    >>regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
    >>find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
    >>What
    >>else can I do? I am running xp home.

    Hi,

    You will likely find a string that references that file in one of these keys
    of the registry:

    Click start/run and type regedit. Click ok, then expand the keys (left side)
    by clicking the plus (+) signs to reach the keys listed above. Click on the
    key, then examine the strings listed in the right hand pane. Locate the one
    that loads mcafee32.exe, click on it and hit the delete key. That's all
    there is to it, just close up the registry editor and go on about your day.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
    > system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
    > mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
    > file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
    > regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
    > find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
    > What
    > else can I do? I am running xp home.

    Richard,

    More startup locations: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
    > system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
    > mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
    > file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
    > regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
    > find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
    > What
    > else can I do? I am running xp home.

    These are all well and good, but like I said, I did a search of the c:\
    drive, examined msconfig, and did a find using regedit and none of them
    found mcafee. Is it possible that it is called from another program and the
    name is buried in code?

    Richard,

    More startup locations: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
    > system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
    > mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
    > file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
    > regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and cannot
    > find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
    > What
    > else can I do? I am running xp home.

    Richard,

    In the first post, you mentioned both the executable names:

    1. mcfaee32.exe
    2. mcafee32.exe

    Have you searched for both the entries? It's also possible that a different
    file remaining in the Startup acting as a stub, and triggers either of the
    above files. Inspect the Startup programs, and compare the onces given in
    these pages:

    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > These are all well and good, but like I said, I did a search of the c:\
    > drive, examined msconfig, and did a find using regedit and none of them
    > found mcafee. Is it possible that it is called from another program and
    > the
    > name is buried in code?

    > Richard,
    >
    > More startup locations: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >> Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
    >> system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
    >> mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
    >> file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
    >> regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and
    >> cannot
    >> find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
    >> What
    >> else can I do? I am running xp home.

    I'm sorry, mcafee is the name not mcaree. I only searched for the partial
    mcafee, thinking that it would find any name containing mcafee.

    Richard,

    In the first post, you mentioned both the executable names:

    1. mcfaee32.exe
    2. mcafee32.exe

    Have you searched for both the entries? It's also possible that a different
    file remaining in the Startup acting as a stub, and triggers either of the
    above files. Inspect the Startup programs, and compare the onces given in
    these pages:

    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > These are all well and good, but like I said, I did a search of the c:\
    > drive, examined msconfig, and did a find using regedit and none of them
    > found mcafee. Is it possible that it is called from another program and
    > the
    > name is buried in code?

    > Richard,
    >
    > More startup locations: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Poor Richard" <richard.stout@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    >> Norton Anti Virus found mcafee32.exe virus. At first I thought it was a
    >> system file, but after a post to this bb, I learned otherwise. I deleted
    >> mcfaee32.exe. Now when I boot, I get the message that it cannot find the
    >> file. I did a search of the c drive for mcafee, I did a search using
    >> regedit of the registry, I examined the startup tab of msconfig and
    >> cannot
    >> find anything that matches mcafee, but I still get the error on boot.
    >> What
    >> else can I do? I am running xp home.

Virus Windows XP