help! computer wont boot properly

i have windows xp pro,
when i go to boot my computer up, it comes to a black screen the says "we
apologize fort the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A
recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
then it has the options of starting in: safe mode, safe mode with
networking, safe mode with command prompt, last good config, or to start
windows normally.

the problem is that the computer goes in a loop, with any of the options, it
returns to that screen...
how do i fix this?
i have the xp pro disk, but it doesnt boot off the disk..
how do i enter the bios and fix all of this? i have a lot of files that i
dont want to lose..

thanks for the help

Hi,

Why won't it boot from the disk?
If you believe it's just a matter of changing the BIOS boot order, what type
of system is it or what is the make of the motherboard?

Basically, you're going to need to run a repair installation unless you can
provide some more details on what went wrong initially. Even then, you'll
probably need the disk to work from the Recovery Console.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone