help! computer wont boot properly

i have windows xp pro,
when i go to boot my computer up, it comes to a black screen the says "we
apologize fort the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A
recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
then it has the options of starting in: safe mode, safe mode with
networking, safe mode with command prompt, last good config, or to start
windows normally.

the problem is that the computer goes in a loop, with any of the options, it
returns to that screen...
how do i fix this?
i have the xp pro disk, but it doesnt boot off the disk..
how do i enter the bios and fix all of this? i have a lot of files that i
dont want to lose..

thanks for the help
1 answer Last reply
More about help computer wont boot properly

    Hi,

    Why won't it boot from the disk?
    If you believe it's just a matter of changing the BIOS boot order, what type
    of system is it or what is the make of the motherboard?

    Basically, you're going to need to run a repair installation unless you can
    provide some more details on what went wrong initially. Even then, you'll
    probably need the disk to work from the Recovery Console.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "mpwr" <mpwr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have windows xp pro,
    > when i go to boot my computer up, it comes to a black screen the says "we
    > apologize fort the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully.
    > recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
    > then it has the options of starting in: safe mode, safe mode with
    > networking, safe mode with command prompt, last good config, or to start
    > windows normally.
    >
    > the problem is that the computer goes in a loop, with any of the options,
    > it
    > returns to that screen...
    > how do i fix this?
    > i have the xp pro disk, but it doesnt boot off the disk..
    > how do i enter the bios and fix all of this? i have a lot of files that i
    > dont want to lose..
    >
    > thanks for the help

Safe Mode Computers Boot Windows XP