Parallel Device (Problem code 28). What is this?

danno

Hello. On occasion I use the services of PCPitstop to take a look at my
computer. I've found the service to be excellent and it has help keep my
computer fine tuned pretty well.

Recently, they came up with a report as follows:

According to Windows, the devices and/or drivers listed below are not
enabled:

a.. Parallel Device [problem code 28]
A disabled device does not always indicate an error, but is a good place to
start if you are having problems with a device.

As far as I can tell, all the peripheral devices on my computer are working.
But this has never been found before and I'd sure like to know what they are
finding. Is there any way I can find out 'which' device they'd be talking
about? My daughter and I downloaded some software for her camera recently,
but her camera has never been hooked up to this computer yet. Could that be
it?

This is a mystery that is bugging me, but not really a problem as far as I
can tell. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Danno

Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Microsoft Windows
XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310123

Go to device manager by following the below step:

1. Click Start, run, type "devmgmt.msc" (with out quotation marks) and click
OK.

In the Device Manager, in case you have a yellow circle w/exclamation mark
next to the device listed below the Ports COM&LPT category, right-click the
device, select uninstall, restart the system and allow Windows to auto
reinstall the drivers. OTOH, if you have a red X next to the device,
right-click and select Enable.
--
HTH
Venkatesh
"Danno" <danreardon@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hello. On occasion I use the services of PCPitstop to take a look at my
> computer. I've found the service to be excellent and it has help keep my
> computer fine tuned pretty well.
>
> Recently, they came up with a report as follows:
>
> According to Windows, the devices and/or drivers listed below are not
> enabled:
>
> a.. Parallel Device [problem code 28]
> A disabled device does not always indicate an error, but is a good place
> start if you are having problems with a device.
>

> As far as I can tell, all the peripheral devices on my computer are
working.
> But this has never been found before and I'd sure like to know what they
are
> finding. Is there any way I can find out 'which' device they'd be talking
> about? My daughter and I downloaded some software for her camera
recently,
> but her camera has never been hooked up to this computer yet. Could that
be
> it?
>
> This is a mystery that is bugging me, but not really a problem as far as I
> can tell. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Danno

danno

Thanks Venkatesh!

I went to the device manager and I do indeed have a yellow circle and
question mark next to one device. But it isn't telling me what the device
is. It is just called "Other devices". If I right click on it and delete
it, I don't know what I would be deleting. Is that safe to do?

Best regards,

Danno

"Venkatesh [MS India Community Star]" <Ihatespam.venkatesh00@hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:u6kOnG$UFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Microsoft
Windows
> XP Professional
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310123
>
> Go to device manager by following the below step:
>
> 1. Click Start, run, type "devmgmt.msc" (with out quotation marks) and
click
> OK.
>
> In the Device Manager, in case you have a yellow circle w/exclamation mark
> next to the device listed below the Ports COM&LPT category, right-click
the
> device, select uninstall, restart the system and allow Windows to auto
> reinstall the drivers. OTOH, if you have a red X next to the device,
> right-click and select Enable.
> --
> HTH
> Venkatesh
> "Danno" <danreardon@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Hello. On occasion I use the services of PCPitstop to take a look at my
> > computer. I've found the service to be excellent and it has help keep
my
> > computer fine tuned pretty well.
> >
> > Recently, they came up with a report as follows:
> >
> > According to Windows, the devices and/or drivers listed below are not
> > enabled:
> >
> > a.. Parallel Device [problem code 28]
> > A disabled device does not always indicate an error, but is a good place
> > start if you are having problems with a device.
> >

> > As far as I can tell, all the peripheral devices on my computer are
> working.
> > But this has never been found before and I'd sure like to know what they
> are
> > finding. Is there any way I can find out 'which' device they'd be talki
ng
> > about? My daughter and I downloaded some software for her camera
> recently,
> > but her camera has never been hooked up to this computer yet. Could
that
> be
> > it?
> >
> > This is a mystery that is bugging me, but not really a problem as far as
> > can tell. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Danno

danno

Venkatesh, this might be an important item. The yellow question mark is NOT
under the Ports COM&LPT category. It is a category standing by itself
called "Other Devices". And if I click on that, the next item in that
category is "Other Devices". But it does not actually name any device.

Danno

In news:zksfe.1280049$8l.898485@pd7tw1no,
Danno <danreardon@shaw.ca> did some thinking and came up with these words:
> Thanks Venkatesh!
>
> I went to the device manager and I do indeed have a yellow circle and
> question mark next to one device. But it isn't telling me what the
> device is. It is just called "Other devices". If I right click on
> it and delete it, I don't know what I would be deleting. Is that
> safe to do?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Danno
>

> "Venkatesh [MS India Community Star]"
> <Ihatespam.venkatesh00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Microsoft
>> Windows XP Professional
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310123
>>
>> Go to device manager by following the below step:
>>
>> 1. Click Start, run, type "devmgmt.msc" (with out quotation marks)
>> and click OK.
>>
>> In the Device Manager, in case you have a yellow circle
>> w/exclamation mark next to the device listed below the Ports COM&LPT
>> category, right-click the device, select uninstall, restart the
>> system and allow Windows to auto reinstall the drivers. OTOH, if you
>> have a red X next to the device, right-click and select Enable.
>> --
>> HTH
>> Venkatesh
>> "Danno" <danreardon@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> Hello. On occasion I use the services of PCPitstop to take a look
>>> at my computer. I've found the service to be excellent and it has
>>> help keep my computer fine tuned pretty well.
>>>
>>> Recently, they came up with a report as follows:
>>>
>>> According to Windows, the devices and/or drivers listed below are
>>> not enabled:
>>>
>>> a.. Parallel Device [problem code 28]
>>> A disabled device does not always indicate an error, but is a good
>>> place to start if you are having problems with a device.
>>>

>>> As far as I can tell, all the peripheral devices on my computer are
>>> working. But this has never been found before and I'd sure like to
>>> know what they are finding. Is there any way I can find out
>>> 'which' device they'd be talki ng about? My daughter and I
>>> downloaded some software for her camera recently, but her camera
>>> has never been hooked up to this computer yet. Could that be it?
>>>
>>> This is a mystery that is bugging me, but not really a problem as
>>> far as I can tell. Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Danno

If you right click on the 'unknown' device and choose uninstall - it should
pop back up as a 'found device' upon reboot. You shouldn't have an issue
with the removal - as the device isn't being used currently.

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert

danno

I mean "Parallel Devices"

> Venkatesh, this might be an important item. The yellow question mark is
NOT
> under the Ports COM&LPT category. It is a category standing by itself
> called "Other Devices". And if I click on that, the next item in that
> category is "Other Devices". But it does not actually name any device.
>
> Danno
>

> "Danno" <danreardon@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Thanks Venkatesh!
> >
> > I went to the device manager and I do indeed have a yellow circle and
> > question mark next to one device. But it isn't telling me what the
device
> > is. It is just called "Other devices". If I right click on it and
delete
> > it, I don't know what I would be deleting. Is that safe to do?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Danno
> >

> > "Venkatesh [MS India Community Star]"
<Ihatespam.venkatesh00@hotmail.com>
> > wrote in message news:u6kOnG$UFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Microsoft
> > Windows
> > > XP Professional
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310123
> > >
> > > Go to device manager by following the below step:
> > >
> > > 1. Click Start, run, type "devmgmt.msc" (with out quotation marks) and
> > click
> > > OK.
> > >
> > > In the Device Manager, in case you have a yellow circle w/exclamation
> mark
> > > next to the device listed below the Ports COM&LPT category,
right-click
> > the
> > > device, select uninstall, restart the system and allow Windows to auto
> > > reinstall the drivers. OTOH, if you have a red X next to the device,
> > > right-click and select Enable.
> > > --
> > > HTH
> > > Venkatesh