linksys dissconects all the time

I am on my second wap 11.. this one is displaying the same problem
after almost 6 months of solid use...
It will work 60% of the time.. then in just connects / drop connect /
connect / drop connect / connect /drop connect prolly about 5 - 15
seconds between each....
I have tryed a netgear, Compusa card, and a D-link 650 card, ihave
reloaded my laptop (xp-sp1 both times) goten new drivers....
On my first wap11 i only had a 900mhz phone.. now i also have a
2.4...... i have tryed every channle... with or without wep....

There is a hospital across the street.. that is all i can think of...
if i need a new ap i gues ill get somthing other then linksys.....
anythoughts would be great!!

assuming you are using the software that came with the wireless device, you
could try disabling the wireless zero configuration service

to test it go to
Start menu, Run. . ., and type "net stop wzcsvc", the press Enter.

if it cures the problem then you can try permanantly disabling the service

go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, find Wireless Zero
Configuration near the bottom of the list, and change its properties to
Disabled

hth

philip ashley

Mark Brotcke wrote:
> I am on my second wap 11.. this one is displaying the same problem
> after almost 6 months of solid use...
> It will work 60% of the time.. then in just connects / drop connect /
> connect / drop connect / connect /drop connect prolly about 5 - 15
> seconds between each....
> I have tryed a netgear, Compusa card, and a D-link 650 card, ihave
> reloaded my laptop (xp-sp1 both times) goten new drivers....
> On my first wap11 i only had a 900mhz phone.. now i also have a
> 2.4...... i have tryed every channle... with or without wep....
>
> There is a hospital across the street.. that is all i can think of...
> if i need a new ap i gues ill get somthing other then linksys.....
> anythoughts would be great!!

First, separate the phone and base station from the wireless equipment.
Turn the base station and phone off (remove the batteries if necessary)
as a test to see if that helps with the connection. If there is a
router, separate it from any other equipment like a modem. Do not stack
wireless with other equipment.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

On 1 Apr 2004 22:30:30 -0800, rug_rat@hotmail.com (Mark Brotcke)
wrote:
I am not sure of your level of knowledge or experience, but have you
eliminated your Cable of DSL modem ( I am assuming that is what you
are using.)?

How many devices connect to the AP? Is this the only one?

Do you have the most up to date firmware on the AP? on the NIC?

What security is in place or is it setup? Could be a neighbor having
fun with you. I once found that a neighbor of mine had a linksys G WAP
and had not changed the admin password. I had full access. Of course I
did the right thing and told him, actually showed him how to change
it. I also setup WEP, port blocking, etc...

Good luck

>I am on my second wap 11.. this one is displaying the same problem
>after almost 6 months of solid use...
>It will work 60% of the time.. then in just connects / drop connect /
>connect / drop connect / connect /drop connect prolly about 5 - 15
>seconds between each....
>I have tryed a netgear, Compusa card, and a D-link 650 card, ihave
>reloaded my laptop (xp-sp1 both times) goten new drivers....
>On my first wap11 i only had a 900mhz phone.. now i also have a
>2.4...... i have tryed every channle... with or without wep....
>
>There is a hospital across the street.. that is all i can think of...
>if i need a new ap i gues ill get somthing other then linksys.....
>anythoughts would be great!!

"Mark Brotcke" <rug_rat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am on my second wap 11.. this one is displaying the same problem
> after almost 6 months of solid use...
> It will work 60% of the time.. then in just connects / drop connect /
> connect / drop connect / connect /drop connect prolly about 5 - 15
> seconds between each....
> I have tryed a netgear, Compusa card, and a D-link 650 card, ihave
> reloaded my laptop (xp-sp1 both times) goten new drivers....
> On my first wap11 i only had a 900mhz phone.. now i also have a
> 2.4...... i have tryed every channle... with or without wep....

HELLO!! wifi uses 2.4ghz band same as your new phone. When I upgraded from
900mhz, went to 5.8ghz to avoid this. I suspect your phone or a new
microwave.

> There is a hospital across the street.. that is all i can think of...
> if i need a new ap i gues ill get somthing other then linksys.....
> anythoughts would be great!!

---