HELP, COMPUTER DOESN'S RECPGNIZE HD

This is going to be a bit long so thanks to everyone willing to read
thru it.
A SERIES OF MISTAKES:
In April 2004 I bought a used Dell Dimension 8250(P4,2.4GHz,40G,512ram
with an upgraded video card) on eBay. It worked fine with only 1 small
problem.
It would not reboot using the restart. I had to manually reboot it
after the saving settings message went off and it said "windows is
shutting down". But I could live with that.
MISTAKE #1: I decided to upgrade to XP pro so I bought a supposedly new
version of xp pro on eBay. The new install went fine until I rebooted
after downloading SP2. I got an error message saying "Windows Explorer
was shutting down" and to report the error to Microsoft. No matter what
I did I couldn't get out of that loop. I couldn't get to the Start Menu.
MISTAKE #2: I had 2 partitions on the HD. A C for the OS and a D for
data. I am backed up on an external USB/Firewire HD. I tried to use
FDISK to reformat the C partition, couldn't because FDISK can't deal
with NTFS.
MISTAKE #3: I then called around and found a computer place that would
reformat my HD for $25 so I had them do it. Now, my computer cannot
recognize the HD. One of the 4 diagnostic lights on PC stays orange and
all 4 of them should be green.
I don't want to throw good money after bad, but am willing to try things
if there is a chance. I could buy a new HD relatively inexpensively,
but it may not be the HD??????????
Any comments, suggestions would be extremely welcome. Thanks ahead.
Robert

Fitz

Have you backed up your data? (My Documents, etc.)

If so, try reinstalling XP, not a repair but full install. During the
install process, select to delete existing partitions. I would assume your
copy of XP that you bought is legitimate, correct? By that I mean it's a
silver MS disk with logos, etc and you have the product keys with the CD
case.