Has anybody operated a game on grass?

I am curious if anybody has ever operated games outside on grass or
gravel? Does anyone have any particular experience with temporary
(portable) flooring aside from putting plywood underneath the games?
Does anybody know if there are any pre-fabricated bases, cradles, or
other devices available to keep games stable on unstable ground? I
imagine some locations needed secure methods to prevent games from
falling over due to abusive patrons? I probably will not have any
walls, posts or other implements to secure the game to aside from the
ground beneath them. Any help would be most appreciated.
George

I thought from your post title this topic involved something else :)

Just an idea- maybe you could use one or two of those metal fence post
behind each game to provide support? Then a ratcheting tie-down could
be run around the middle of the game right under the control panel
strapping it to the post.

If you shop around, you can find those green metal fence post in pretty
heavy gauge for just a few bucks each, they'll provide good support and
can be removed when the event is over.

Mike Doyle

Thanks for the tip. I had considered fence posts as a last resort,
however I am not sure if I can put anything other than stakes in the
ground. The green posts are a good idea. Have You or has anybody
actaully ever used them? I remember the garden variety being a bit
flimsy. Does anybody know where to get the more heavy duty variety? I
am also concerned about the ratchets crunching the game if too tight
and not being effective if too loose... Aside from putting padding
under the strap, any other ideas?

Maybe if you put it on a pallet and straped it to that. That would keep
from getting wet. Would help to keep it clean and would give it a wider
base on the ground. Ted

syncbus@gmail.com wrote:
> I thought from your post title this topic involved something else :)

reminds me of Jon Stewart in Half Baked...
"Did you ever operate a video game...... on WEED?"

Andrew

I bet in the hayday ALOT of people operated them on grass...

AB

"Curious George" <jedidroid@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am curious if anybody has ever operated games outside on grass or
> gravel? Does anyone have any particular experience with temporary
> (portable) flooring aside from putting plywood underneath the games?
> Does anybody know if there are any pre-fabricated bases, cradles, or
> other devices available to keep games stable on unstable ground? I
> imagine some locations needed secure methods to prevent games from
> falling over due to abusive patrons? I probably will not have any
> walls, posts or other implements to secure the game to aside from the
> ground beneath them. Any help would be most appreciated.
> George

I suppose you could put sandbags around all 4 sides to wedge it in place;
hell if th location lets you, just dig a hole 8" deep and the size of the
game and line it with a plastic garbage bag and put the game in it like that
;)

--
Art
> Thanks for the tip. I had considered fence posts as a last resort,
> however I am not sure if I can put anything other than stakes in the
> ground. The green posts are a good idea. Have You or has anybody
> actaully ever used them? I remember the garden variety being a bit
> flimsy. Does anybody know where to get the more heavy duty variety? I
> am also concerned about the ratchets crunching the game if too tight
> and not being effective if too loose... Aside from putting padding
> under the strap, any other ideas?

Some time ago, I bought a Make Trax that was operated in a traveling
carnival. This guy had bought all the games from the carnival when they
discontinued mobile arcades. Every upright had the legs removed and a
pair of 4 x 4's carriage bolted to the bottom like skids. I often
wondered if they moved them with a fork lift. They also had one or 2
large eye bolts installed in the back, near the top. Evidently they
would place the vids back to back, in clusters of 2, 3 or 4 games. Then
run a chain through the eye bolts for both stability and security. They
used them in a large tent with sides. The Make Trax was dirty, but in
surprisingly good shape. Had a massive home made burglar bar over the
coin doors, the on/off switch was bypassed and had a power cord at least
25' long. He also mentioned that they powered the games off a large
generator along with the rest of the carnival. A lot of the games had
burned up power supplies and wiring hacked up beyond belief.

This guy also had some Tilt-a-Whirl cars that he was just about giving
away. They had a psychotic looking clown on the back. I always regret
not taking one with me at the time. Tried to find him but with no luck.
Lesson learned, always pull the trigger on a deal!

Hans O in Chicago

> I am curious if anybody has ever operated games outside on grass or
> gravel? Does anyone have any particular experience with temporary
> (portable) flooring aside from putting plywood underneath the games?
> Does anybody know if there are any pre-fabricated bases, cradles, or
> other devices available to keep games stable on unstable ground? I
> imagine some locations needed secure methods to prevent games from
> falling over due to abusive patrons? I probably will not have any
> walls, posts or other implements to secure the game to aside from the
> ground beneath them. Any help would be most appreciated.
> George

I've never operated outside before (except for my driveway)... however, I do
suggest that if you're going to be putting them on grass/ground/outside for
any length of time (or more important, repeatedly) that you lay the game
down on it's side and paint the bottom with waterproofing paint. Almost all
cabs are just raw wood on the bottom... prime candidate for moisture damage.

In article <1115415224.134765.38560@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Curious George <jedidroid@aol.com> wrote:
>I am curious if anybody has ever operated games outside on grass or
>gravel?

I had one out at a yard sale last August. I sat it mostly on grass,
except it wasn't very level so I propped up the back with some
2x4s. No big deal. The real problem was that you couldn't hardly see
the screen because even with it overcast the sun is way too bright.

--
Please see my arcade and pinball items for sale:
http://www.videoracer.com/forsale/

When I was younger, I would always operate these on grass. But I never
inhaled, should I just admit it like bush?....nah, I never inhaled. Hillary
rules...drop some more Monica bombs...

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I've never operated outside before (except for my driveway)... however, I
do
> suggest that if you're going to be putting them on grass/ground/outside
for
> any length of time (or more important, repeatedly) that you lay the game
> down on it's side and paint the bottom with waterproofing paint. Almost
all
> cabs are just raw wood on the bottom... prime candidate for moisture
damage.

> "Curious George" <jedidroid@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I am curious if anybody has ever operated games outside on grass or
> > gravel? Does anyone have any particular experience with temporary
> > (portable) flooring aside from putting plywood underneath the games?
> > Does anybody know if there are any pre-fabricated bases, cradles, or
> > other devices available to keep games stable on unstable ground? I
> > imagine some locations needed secure methods to prevent games from
> > falling over due to abusive patrons? I probably will not have any
> > walls, posts or other implements to secure the game to aside from the
> > ground beneath them. Any help would be most appreciated.
> > George

mark

No but i once did on pain killers.:)
"Curious George" <jedidroid@aol.com> wrote in message
>I am curious if anybody has ever operated games outside on grass or
> gravel? Does anyone have any particular experience with temporary
> (portable) flooring aside from putting plywood underneath the games?
> Does anybody know if there are any pre-fabricated bases, cradles, or
> other devices available to keep games stable on unstable ground? I
> imagine some locations needed secure methods to prevent games from
> falling over due to abusive patrons? I probably will not have any
> walls, posts or other implements to secure the game to aside from the
> ground beneath them. Any help would be most appreciated.
> George

If you are placing a few games in a group, then position them and fasten
them together. This would make then a single stable unit that can't tip. But
you have to securly fasten them so they don't have slack to do the domino
effect.

"Curious George" <jedidroid@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am curious if anybody has ever operated games outside on grass or
> gravel? Does anyone have any particular experience with temporary
> (portable) flooring aside from putting plywood underneath the games?
> Does anybody know if there are any pre-fabricated bases, cradles, or
> other devices available to keep games stable on unstable ground? I
> imagine some locations needed secure methods to prevent games from
> falling over due to abusive patrons? I probably will not have any
> walls, posts or other implements to secure the game to aside from the
> ground beneath them. Any help would be most appreciated.
> George

mark

In article <1115417926.693187.141090@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jedidroid@aol.com postulated...
> Thanks for the tip. I had considered fence posts as a last resort,
> however I am not sure if I can put anything other than stakes in the
> ground. The green posts are a good idea. Have You or has anybody
> actaully ever used them? I remember the garden variety being a bit
> flimsy. Does anybody know where to get the more heavy duty variety? I
> am also concerned about the ratchets crunching the game if too tight
> and not being effective if too loose... Aside from putting padding
> under the strap, any other ideas?

Remove the loveling legs and bolt it to a palette. Pretty hard to tip
that over and it'll keep it up and off the ground.

--

Mark

i certainly would not put anything minty fresh outside for an extended
period of time!!
there are plenty of junkers out there for that job!

TRENDING THREADS