How to test laptop motherboard power

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerkadri

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hi guys,
I have a gateway laptop MA7 -mt6840 type. The laptop doesn't turn on. Nothing happens when I press the power button with or without a battery! not a single beep, noise or any light activity. dead as dead can be. My neighbor thought it was the power socket in the back of the computer . I replaced it by disassembling the whole laptop, desoldered the bad socket, replaced it with new one and soldered it well. I plugged the laptop to the power source with battery attached to it, a pink light (battery) comes on and becomes blue after 2 minutes, meaning that the battery is charging. I tried to turn it on with power cord only:nothing happened. I left the laptop charging all night and tried to boot it up the next day. Same result, dead: not a beep or noise. If I unplug the laptop from the power cord, the blue light turn off. If I put it back on, a pink light comes on then turns blue. If I remove the battery from laptop, no light comes on: with or without the power cord.
Is my motherboard fried (dead)?
I 'd also like to know if the pink/blue light means that the motherboard gets the power from the wall through the socket I replaced. and for some reason it is not booting up.
I don't have a second battery to test, but I do have two known good power adapter.
Thank you for any input you have.
Ben.

Hello aerkadri;

The DC power jack is one of the more likely culprits and you've already replaced that.
Testing with, and without the battery, was also a good troubleshooting option.

Do you have, or can you borrow, a multi-meter?

About the only other thing you can do at the moment is to disassemble the notebook again and do a close, careful visual inspection of the motherboard and it's connections.

A bright light and a magnifying glass come in handy there.
Obvious things like a fluid spill and burn marks tend to stand out.

You're not seeing any flashing in the battery lights, are you? Just steady red then steady blue (or green).

Status
Not open for further replies.