Scheduled tasks not running and preventing live update

hi there - just wondering if anyone could help me on a problem with win xp's
scheduled tasks facility.
Basically, i've rrecently upgraded to norton internet security 2005 and it
has been running well until 2 days ago when my system crashed for apparently
no reason. Ever since then, the scheduled tasks function of xp has been
unable to start, preventing a number of prgrams running properly. My main
thing is that it has turned of the automatic live update for NIS 2005 and has
disabled my diskeeper 9 from running at all. I have looked on the symantec
website and it suggests to turn on scheduled tasks. Unfortunately, every time
i try to turn on scheduled tasks by going start --> control panel -->
scheduled tasks --> advanced --> turn scheduled tasks on it says unable to
turn scheduled tasks on!!!

Im really stumped for ideas on what to do and as ever, the microsoft
knowledge base is pathetically useless, so any ideas/help?!
--
Many thanks,

Laurence

Laurence,

I don't find an option named "turn scheduled tasks on". But "Start using
Task Scheduler" is available. Make sure that the Task Scheduler service is
started and running.

Enabling the Task Scheduler:
http://hesperia.gsfc.nasa.gov/hessi/solar_install/Enabling_scheduler.html

--