Help! System Restore not available!

May 8, 2005 3:01:04 PM

I seem to have lost the ability to System Restore. It comes with the error
message "System Restore has been turned off by group policy......"
When I try and go into Group policy settings it comes with error window of
Microsoft Management Console saying "Snap-in failed to initialize......"
I've tried resinstalling sr.inf and have apparently completed it, although my
PC supplier haven't given me a XP disc, so I had to try and find all the
original files. Anyway, it hasn't soreted the problem. Anyone any idea how
I can get the Group Policy resinstalled without an XP disc and then get my
System Restore to work? Tks

More about : system restore

Anonymous
May 8, 2005 6:55:55 PM

Hi,

Go to Start - Run and type regedit then press enter.

Navigate to the following registry Key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
NT\SystemRestore

In the right pane, right click on each of these Value Keys and select
delete.

"DisableSR"

"DisableConfig"

Close Regedit. Right click on My Computer and select the System
Restore tab. A reboot may be necessary.

If the above doesn't fix the issue, there's a registry edit at Kelly's
Korner.

Look on line 278 left side.

Note: There is a good possibility this was caused by malware/virus
infection. Click here for cleanup instructions.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

!