Monitor display problem with new PC

mycarispurple

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I just built myself a new PC, and I'm having a big problem with my old monitor. The monitor is a Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 91, which happened to work fine last week on my old Win2K machine, and it's one I'd like to keep if possible. The problem is that on any resolutions above 800x600, it shows lots of ghosting and blurriness, particularly on text. It's quite painful to look at for any length of time. Changing the refresh rate has no effect.

Here are the specs for the new machine:

Abit NFS7-S
Athlon XP 2500+ (not oc'ed yet)
Corsair PC3200 1x512Mb
MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP 8x
Segate 7200.7 160gig
Windows XP Pro, SP1

I think I've isolated it to a problem with XP. Sticking my old Voodoo 3 card in the machine revealed the same ghosting problems, so I don't think it has anything to do with the new Ti4200. I've tried updating the monitor drivers, even trying ones for different Mitsubishi models, all to no effect. The machine boots and runs like a champ otherwise.

Anybody have any suggestions about what else to do? Or is it time to start shopping? Thanks.

sturm

Splendid
If you hook up a different monitor does it do the same thing? My friends moms computer(Windows ME) has a problem somewhat like yours but it does it on another monitor also so I would think its the video card. But since you tried another card and still had the problem Im not sure. Only thing else I can think of is some kind of interverence in the video cable.

Only way to know for sure is to try the monitor on another computer to see if it does the same thing. I've never heard of 'ghosting' being caused by an OS or drivers. Possibly the video card, but since you've tried more than one, that pretty much eliminates that possibility.

I'm no expert on monitors by a long shot, but see if you can make some adjustments to the convergence. I'm thinking it has to be the monitor in some way.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>