ATI Catalyst 4.9 (Doom Drivers) available

Well ATI has made now made them available for all to use.

<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html" target="_new">http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html</A>

Unfortunately they DO appear to be the 8.05 drivers some people have been benching with despite statements to the contrary on other boards.

<A HREF="http://www.gamers-depot.com/games/action/doom3/bench/002.htm" target="_new">Another review using the DoomDrivers at Gamers Despot, err Depot.</A>

If that's all there is, it's an inprovement, but like I said it's nowhere near leveling the playing field.

These are likely the tweaks that ATI was talking about and the FireGL reworked engine likely won't appear for a while.

But don't expect magic drivers, there's no magic bullet here. So far it appears the best performance boosts are to be had from those tweaks people have been playing with, not the drivers themselves.

The tweaks look very much like those that I have to do to make Morrowind stable in XP.

Hopefully I'll have some time to bench both.

Anywhoo, as always, Enjoy!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Scalpel

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004
Some bench marks on the 4.9 Catalyst Drivers would be great. Should we be at all concerned that ATI has slapped "beta" on this release and is not supporting it? I'm running the X800 Pro. Keeping my fingers crossed for a performance boost of some sort.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
But the problem is that 6800 of any flavor are still very to find on the market (at least here, in Canada)!

And what would be better a GeForce 6800 128Megs for 500$CA or a Radeon 9800 PRO for 290$CA. Considering price and performance, it's seems weird do buy a 6800 only to get decent performance in 1 game.

It's a bit hard to choose a GPU right now... I do think that a Radeon 9800 PRO is a great value, but will I regret my choice in 1 year when Doom3 based games will start to show off?

--
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Should we be at all concerned that ATI has slapped "beta" on this release and is not supporting it?
Not at all. That's what usually happens with these things - After being Beta for a while, they'll be officially released and supported.

As for benchies, Grape Will soon add them to his Stickified Catalyst Comparison thread, I'm sure! (Gotta admire his dedication)

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro @412/740

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
aye

ima try them out. stupid D3 is taking forever to download tho

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

I wouldn't worry about support, I haven't had a problem with them (Betas in general) yet. Likely you will get the non-certified windows warning, but that happenes whenever things aren't WHQL certified.

As for benchies. The Gamers Depot ones there are with the new drivers.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 08/04/04 08:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

The funny thing is that likely games BASED on D3 will run closer to equal. Few will have the need for such heavy shadowing, and if you look at Q3, it runs better on the FXs, yet Call for Duty runs better on the Radeons, so ports don't always act like the original.

I wouldn't take the GF6800 unless it is very cheap (equal to an R9800PRO), it is a one hit wonder IMO. The GT on the other hand is good throughout, and really it's D3 advanatge is on top of it's other widely good performance. The Ultra is still a bad choice IMO since the GT does so well in D3 and so well elsewhere, that the added benifits for sooo much more don't warrant it.

I would think future ports will be more global, but will likely build on overall complexity. I think it's really the lighting/shadows that really kills the Radeons, and that likely won't be a strong feature of future ports IMO. Of course that's just a guess.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
<font color=red><b>UPDATE :</b> I probably missed something somewhere, because X-bit Labs, just <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/doom3.html" target="_new">updated their Doom3 test with the CAT 4.9b</A> and there is not much improvment in performance...</font color=red>

Ok, I spent sometime in MS-Excel and I analysed the data of Gamers-Depot vs AnanTech. They both have done a similar test, and here the data I collected and analysed :

<b><font color=blue>1024x768 Ultra results :</font color=blue></b>
6800GT is <b>44%</b> faster than X800PRO with CAT4.7
6800GT is <b>2%</b> faster than X800PRO with Doom3-CAT
6800 Ultra is <b>18%</b> faster than X800XT-PE with CAT4.7
6800 Ultra is <b>7%</b> faster than X800XT-PE with Doom3-CAT

An interesting thing with the new BETA CAT, is that the Radeon 9800XT gain a 7% lead over the 5950. With CAT 4.7 both GPU were nearly equal (0.1 FPS difference).

<b><font color=blue>1600x1200 Ultra results :</font color=blue></b>
6800GT is <b>64%</b> faster than X800PRO with CAT4.7
6800GT is <b>25%</b> faster than X800PRO with Doom3-CAT
6800 Ultra is <b>32%</b> faster than X800XT-PE with CAT4.7
6800 Ultra is <b>19%</b> faster than X800XT-PE with Doom3-CAT

At this resolution there is no change between 9800XT and 5950. The 5950 lead with 9%, but at this speed (20 to 24 FPS), the game is not "playable", so we don't need to bother about these numbers.

<b><font color=blue>MY CONCLUSION :</font color=blue></b>
Wow! I see quite an interesting performance leap with this new Catalyst drivers. These improvment are quite impressive. I wish to see how these CAT will impact other OpenGL based games ATI performance. In 1024x768 the is now nearly as fast, but there is still work to do in 1600x1200.

So, I really think that the X800 series is NOW a very good performer in Doom 3. I would like to have a crystal ball to know if this gap will continue to shrink or if nVidia will keep it with new drivers release.

The only thing I really don't know yet, is if there is IQ issue with the new CAT drivers.

--
<font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheRod on 08/04/04 10:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I wouldn't take the GF6800 unless it is very cheap (equal to an R9800PRO), it is a one hit wonder IMO. The GT on the other hand is good throughout, and really it's D3 advanatge is on top of it's other widely good performance. The Ultra is still a bad choice IMO since the GT does so well in D3 and so well elsewhere, that the added benifits for sooo much more don't warrant it.
So the problem with 6800GT is that I can't find one here! Damn it! But if you have read the post I just made where I analyse CAT4.7 and CAT4.9 data, it changed my mind! ATI have some potential with their X800 series!

--
<font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
theres really not much that the x800 cant do , compared to the 6800

just need to wait, altho i admit right now things look good for nvidia

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Grape, so are you saying this wasnt a release of the new OGL engine from ATI?
Personally, what do you think they changed to get these increases?

Its about time us ATI guys got our magic drivers...hey...wheres entium? :p

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Want to be a <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/betatester.html" target="_new">beta tester</A> for ATI catalyst?

<i> :eek: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek: </i>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Peeps elsewhere are throwing up benchies with the 9800 pro too. Unfortunatly, looks like those of us with the 9800p aren't seeing much improvement (less than 1 fps).

Hope we don't get abandoned by ati

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
I thought D3 didnt run outside of XP/2000. Your sig says 98SE?

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

Yeah that is impressive, unfortunately I'm very VERY busy today, with my nutz in a vice finishing up work before heading out east, so no time to look at benchies once I get down to work (after about 8am [getting in at 6am this w-eek! :eek: ]). Considering I'm used to my 'own' schedule and usually come in at 10am, this week is KILLING ME! :eek:

Anywhoo, I'll pour over the results when I get home. Nice to see that these 'magic drivers' were better than I thought. It does make me a little skeptical though so I'd like to see someone do a good comparison and see where they get their boost? IF it's truely just a benifit from their FireGL guys, well then, Bravo German-FanATIcs!

I'll still reserve judgement until we find out that there are no floptimizations. But at the very least ATI could say, "we're only following nV's lead from last summer!" although I still would prefer to not have that happen.

I have thought about it, but the thing is from those who I know who are Catalyst Beta Testers, they need to remain tight lipped about ATI stuff even if the InQ publishes something, so I'd be giving something up. I may try and visit ATI and maybe see CATMaker Terry Makedon while in Ontario. I'll ask him before I head out.

It'd be interesting and anything I can do to improve the drivers would be nice. I already preview software at work, so I'm not unfamiliar or resistant to the idea just worried about potentially muzzling myself (which some people here would like I'm sure) because of my respect for things like NDAs, etc.

I just wish it meant we got access to the gear first too. I'd be willing to do it if they let me test the H311 out of the RV480 or an RS480 w/ an RV480 ontop. I'd sell you all out for that in a heartbeat! :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I was wondering if one does become a beta tester, then will ATI send games for FREE to us to test. And yes it would be lovely if they send their new hardware also. If all thats true, we all should be beta testers.

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I agree grape, we need your info asap and NDA's won't do for you! But I filled out an app. to become one... that'd be cool.

Here's my little tidbit about why i should be a beta tester for them:

I bought a Radeon 9800 Pro only a couple weeks after its introduction, which I have since replaced with a 9800 XT. Prior to that I owned a GeForce 4 Ti4400. My experience with the Radeon has been excellent, and the card has been quite simply amazing. I have seen BIG changes with driver versions, from 3.0 now up to 4.7. I read review sites regularly and participate in forums and am up to date on games and technology. I feel that I represent a good example of your "enthusiast" buyers, and would like to contribute my findings and opinions of your Catalyst driver suite to your staff. The front door of my chieftech dragon has the ATi symbol cut out with a dremel, and there are red LEDs inside. I'm a hardcore ATI fan, and want to help you guys stay on top and please your customers, and would love the opportunity to test beta versions of your drivers. I plan to upgrade to an X800 series card in the future, and I know that there is still untapped performance in this series (PS2.0b (instancing), 3Dc) and I want to see these reserves tapped, and would like to contribute to that.

Hopefully they'll like that and let me on! Notice how I said I "replaced" my 9800 pro with an XT... I didn't wanna tell em that I flashed it!!!

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
i also said that...and asked them when the hell are they shipping out the cards

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Do the Catalyst "Beta" Drivers install the same as the official ones? The same installation interface and everything? I'm going to reformat my computer and install newer Catalyst drivers, and I'm considering the 4.9.

I haven't had a chance to use them yet, I'm still stuck at work working (MMMmmm 6-6 love-a-faqin-ly!). Thank GOD I'm on vacation at the end of the week!

I'll let you guys know as soon as I get home and have a chance to bench stuff.

Also I gotta go buy my new phone tonight, so it may be late.

G-D I'm busy!

Yeah I wasn't even asking for 'FREE' stuff, I simply want the chance to BUY it early.

Sell me an RV480 right now for the price of an X600XT PCIe and let me bench the crap out of it. I don't want free stuff from them, just the chance to mess with the stuff. It's a win-win IMO.

<b>WS</b>, yeah I'm wondering about the restrictions. I'm gonna contact Terry tonight (if I have time). I should be in T.O. by the 15th at the latest.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Yes sweat, they install the same, you just need to click "continue" when it says theyre not WHQL certified. I'm on the beta 4.9s and they're working fine so far. Slight increase in Doom 3 performance but nothing dramatic. But you're on 4.4s... so it could be a big jump.

Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
How do you make Morrowind stable in XP?

<font color=blue>The day <font color=green>Microsoft</font color=green> will make something that doesn't suck is the day they'll start making vacuum cleaners.</font color=blue>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Uninstall it.