slowish Dell modem?

my old PC has a lowly $5 PcTel modem, and it would connect almost
every time at 52K. My new Dell usually connects at 50.6K, sometimes
slower. In both cases, it's just a DUN to the same access number. Is
this new (internal) modem actually slower, or maybe it's using a
different scale - or stop or parity bits?

"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
> my old PC has a lowly $5 PcTel modem, and it would connect almost
> every time at 52K. My new Dell usually connects at 50.6K, sometimes
> slower. In both cases, it's just a DUN to the same access number. Is
> this new (internal) modem actually slower, or maybe it's using a
> different scale - or stop or parity bits?

Anything over 40kbps on dialup is "good". 53kbps is (as you know) is the
max.

A dialup modem dropped from a skyscraper is still slow.

update the modem drivers

50.6 is still good for dialup.

"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
> my old PC has a lowly $5 PcTel modem, and it would connect almost
> every time at 52K. My new Dell usually connects at 50.6K, sometimes
> slower. In both cases, it's just a DUN to the same access number. Is
> this new (internal) modem actually slower, or maybe it's using a
> different scale - or stop or parity bits?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:58:25 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Nate
<none@none.none> wrote:

>my old PC has a lowly $5 PcTel modem, and it would connect almost
>every time at 52K. My new Dell usually connects at 50.6K, sometimes
>slower. In both cases, it's just a DUN to the same access number. Is
>this new (internal) modem actually slower, or maybe it's using a
>different scale - or stop or parity bits?

That reported connection speed is just the initial connection speed; it
doesn't necessarily reflect the actual speed being used for most of the
call.

Dial-up modems continuously renegotiate their connection speed during a
call; they shift the speed up and down regularly as line conditions change.
The goal is to use the highest speed the line will support without excessive
errors.

Some modems may negotiate too aggressively for a high speed, and wind up
with less throughput than a modem using a slower speed with the same line
conditions: too high a speed means too much lost data, which means that a
lot of time is wasted retransmitting dropped data.

So the differences in the reported connection speed don't say anything at
all about how well the two modems are performing. What you want to look at
is the actual throughput during a connection: download speed, for example.
A consistent difference in throughput over a period of time might say
something about the relative performance of the two modems; the differences
you're seeing in connect speeds are pretty meaningless.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:40:56 -0600, S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> "Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>> my old PC has a lowly $5 PcTel modem, and it would connect almost
>> every time at 52K. My new Dell usually connects at 50.6K, sometimes
>> slower. In both cases, it's just a DUN to the same access number. Is
>> this new (internal) modem actually slower, or maybe it's using a
>> different scale - or stop or parity bits?
>>

> Anything over 40kbps on dialup is "good". 53kbps is (as you know) is the
> max.

Actually, the theoretical max of a modem is 56Kbps. Mine consistently
connects at 54.6 Kbps.

"Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:40:56 -0600, S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>

>> "Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
>>> my old PC has a lowly $5 PcTel modem, and it would connect almost
>>> every time at 52K. My new Dell usually connects at 50.6K, sometimes
>>> slower. In both cases, it's just a DUN to the same access number. Is
>>> this new (internal) modem actually slower, or maybe it's using a
>>> different scale - or stop or parity bits?
>>>

>> Anything over 40kbps on dialup is "good". 53kbps is (as you know) is the
>> max.
>>

> Actually, the theoretical max of a modem is 56Kbps. Mine consistently
> connects at 54.6 Kbps.

In the US, the limit is 53.3. The modem is capable of more, and may show a
higher connection speed, but is physically limited (due to regulation).

Tom

"Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote in message

> Actually, the theoretical max of a modem is 56Kbps. Mine
> consistently
> connects at 54.6 Kbps.

Your system, like many others, is lying to you. That speed is not
possible on the web as configured.

Tom J

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> Actually, the theoretical max of a modem is 56Kbps. Mine consistently
>> connects at 54.6 Kbps.
>
> Your system, like many others, is lying to you. That speed is not possible
> on the web as configured.
>
> Tom J

I've typically considered speeds above 53K to be port speeds rather than any
indication of connectivity. (i.e.-57600 or 115200)

If one is connecting over 40K, you're living okay.

Stew

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:26:39 +0000, Tom J wrote:

> "Buck Rogers" <who@cares.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> Actually, the theoretical max of a modem is 56Kbps. Mine
>> consistently connects at 54.6 Kbps.
>
> Your system, like many others, is lying to you. That speed is not
> possible on the web as configured.

As I recall, 56Kbps is how it was designed, but there is a limitation due
to some issue with the government and regulations that require them to
limit it to 54.6kbps. If you get over 50kpbs then you've got a very good
connection - many locations can't get above 33.6kbps due to the poor
quality of many phone systems lines.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> If one is connecting over 40K, you're living okay.

Mine shows connecting at 49.3 most of the time, but transfer is more
like 43.2 most of the time.

That said, I have another computer that says it's connected at 52
every time, but at least I know it's lying!!

Tom J

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote:

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote

>> If one is connecting over 40K, you're living okay.

>Mine shows connecting at 49.3 most of the time, but transfer is more
>like 43.2 most of the time.
>
>That said, I have another computer that says it's connected at 52
>every time, but at least I know it's lying!!

Pre-Comcast cable internet, my experience was similar. Windoze
DUN/icon thing always told me either 49.3 or 53.6, but my
realized D/L speeds always said the transfer was averaging more
like 44-47.
--
OJ III

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:30:54 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Leythos
<void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>As I recall, 56Kbps is how it was designed, but there is a limitation due
>to some issue with the government and regulations that require them to
>limit it to 54.6kbps. If you get over 50kpbs then you've got a very good
>connection - many locations can't get above 33.6kbps due to the poor
>quality of many phone systems lines.

If I remember right, the issue is excessive RFI: to operate reliably at 56K,
the modems would have to use a power level high enough to potentially cause
interference for other electronics in the vicinity.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>