Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fido phones come locked???

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 4:13:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
provider.

Thanks in advance

More about : fido phones locked

June 28, 2004 4:13:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:13:40 GMT, Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote:

>I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
>concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
>service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
>pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
>provider.

Fido locks all their phones.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 4:13:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

All Fido phones are locked.

In fact almost all North American providers lock every phone they sell.
TTYL

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:13:40 +0000, Tranic
wrote:

> I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
> concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
> service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
> pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
> provider.
>
> Thanks in advance
Related resources
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 9:59:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:59:49 -0700, Joseph wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:13:40 GMT, Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
>>concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
>>service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
>>pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
>>provider.
>
> Fido locks all their phones.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

Don't know if that's true, a couple months ago when I went and exchange my
Nokia 7210 for another one, I got an unlocked phone. I was surprise when I
inserted a Rogers SIM card into the 7210 and it worked.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 9:59:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

OTC (over the counter) exchange handsets (the kind you get when you trade in
a defective phone) are refurbished phones. They often have remnants of
their previous users on them; a friend of mine traded in his VTech phone and
found himself with a whole second set of contacts which were already on the
phone. Your phone was probably unlocked by its previous owner, and never
re-locked.

CU

"Alan Cheung" <anybody@home.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.06.28.05.59.34.963602@home.com...
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:59:49 -0700, Joseph wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:13:40 GMT, Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
> >>concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
> >>service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
> >>pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
> >>provider.
> >
> > Fido locks all their phones.
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
>
> Don't know if that's true, a couple months ago when I went and exchange my
> Nokia 7210 for another one, I got an unlocked phone. I was surprise when I
> inserted a Rogers SIM card into the 7210 and it worked.
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.712 / Virus Database: 468 - Release Date: 27/06/2004
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 9:59:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Actually, Fido's been hit and miss. I remember that the first 'world'
phone they sold, the motorola l7089, came unlocked. The Ericsson T28
or T39 that they sold, some batches were locked and some were not. Of
late though, it seems that all of their handsets have been locked. If
you're unsure, you can always ask to borrow a buddy's Rogers card to
test, as someone suggested they did.

If the phone you buy is locked and you don't want to buy a cable and
try to find sofware and go through the hassle of figuring it out, you
can usually find an asian shop in most larger cities that's willing to
unlock it for 20-30 dollars.

With the prices they've started charging for the phones now (it
appears the days of the subsidy are long gone, at least if you don't
plan on signing up for 2 years - and let's face it, no one knows if
this company is going to be around for that long with their spotty
financial history), you'd be better served browsing froogle or yahoo
shopping for deals on unlocked phones. The prices, even after
currency conversion and shipping, often come out to less than or about
the same price that Fido charges, but it comes unlocked.

Just a few suggestions. I hope they help.


Alan Cheung <anybody@home.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.28.05.59.34.963602@home.com>...
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:59:49 -0700, Joseph wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:13:40 GMT, Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
> >>concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
> >>service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
> >>pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
> >>provider.
> >
> > Fido locks all their phones.
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
>
> Don't know if that's true, a couple months ago when I went and exchange my
> Nokia 7210 for another one, I got an unlocked phone. I was surprise when I
> inserted a Rogers SIM card into the 7210 and it worked.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 9:59:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Fido like all GSM service providers lock their phones. There are
exceptions like where Cingular didn't lock their Treo 600's (not sure
if they still sell them unlocked) and Rogers didn't lock their
Tungsten W (their Tungsten-W is still unlocked).



Alan Cheung <anybody@home.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.28.05.59.34.963602@home.com>...
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:59:49 -0700, Joseph wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:13:40 GMT, Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
> >>concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
> >>service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
> >>pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
> >>provider.
> >
> > Fido locks all their phones.
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
>
> Don't know if that's true, a couple months ago when I went and exchange my
> Nokia 7210 for another one, I got an unlocked phone. I was surprise when I
> inserted a Rogers SIM card into the 7210 and it worked.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 5:27:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote in
news:9joud0p9im4m4g6e9rn5n6evorts1e89qc@4ax.com:

> I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
> concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
> service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
> pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
> provider.


there's a reason why the price of phones from cellphone companies are
hundreds of dollars cheaper than list price. it's because they are
subsidised by the wireless company, and therefore they lock the phone for
at least two years.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 1:03:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <Xns9516930CD4D24sonicyouth@216.196.97.132>,
Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

> there's a reason why the price of phones from cellphone companies are
> hundreds of dollars cheaper than list price. it's because they are
> subsidised by the wireless company, and therefore they lock the phone for
> at least two years.

It will cost you $250 to get a Fido cell phone unlocked. (I just asked
them.)

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
June 29, 2004 4:30:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

> Fido like all GSM service providers lock their phones. There are
> exceptions like where Cingular didn't lock their Treo 600's (not sure
> if they still sell them unlocked) and Rogers didn't lock their
> Tungsten W (their Tungsten-W is still unlocked).


This is getting off the topic but not all the GSM
providers in the world lock their phones. None of
the providers in Finland do it because of laws
there. In other places, phones purchased with a
contract are unlocked (as they should be).
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:57:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in alt.cellular.fido:

> It will cost you $250 to get a Fido cell phone unlocked. (I just asked
> them.)

There are cheaper ways than going through Fido.


--
-----<snip>-----
Cut the snippy to reply in email.

http://www.fido.ca
Unlimited incoming calls! FREE. Visit site for details.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:23:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:30:33 -0700, obs wrote:

>> Fido like all GSM service providers lock their phones. There are
>> exceptions like where Cingular didn't lock their Treo 600's (not sure
>> if they still sell them unlocked) and Rogers didn't lock their
>> Tungsten W (their Tungsten-W is still unlocked).
>
>
> This is getting off the topic but not all the GSM
> providers in the world lock their phones. None of
> the providers in Finland do it because of laws
> there. In other places, phones purchased with a
> contract are unlocked (as they should be).

FWIW most phones sold in Europe are locked, however, there are two stark
differences compared to here:

- they freely admit they are locked, and even say so in the ads
- they will unlock them without an issue after you've been with them for a
while, usually a year, which is also clearly stated in the ad

MUCH better then the "you're locked in forever" junk that providers in
North America try to pull... TTYL
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:33:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <Xns9516DF49CFA45mysnippynippyshawca@24.71.223.159>,
Seymour Butts <mysnippynippy@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in alt.cellular.fido:
>
> > It will cost you $250 to get a Fido cell phone unlocked. (I just asked
> > them.)
>
> There are cheaper ways than going through Fido.

Well, yes, of course. Heh. Sorry, I should have said "through Fido." :) 

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 2:27:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Steven Fisher wrote:
> In article <Xns9516930CD4D24sonicyouth@216.196.97.132>,
> Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:
>
>> there's a reason why the price of phones from cellphone companies are
>> hundreds of dollars cheaper than list price. it's because they are
>> subsidised by the wireless company, and therefore they lock the
>> phone for at least two years.
>
> It will cost you $250 to get a Fido cell phone unlocked. (I just asked
> them.)

don't know what the threshold is, but if you have been with Fido long enough
and have racked up enough usage, they'll do it for free if you give them the
right excuse (e.g. you'll be in NYC for a month and want to use a local
pay-as-you-go etc...).

I've thought about trying to get my 6 year old 5190 unlocked so I can use
Rogers pay-as-you-go out in the sticks...

--
Dominic Richens | dominic@alumni.uottawa.ca
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:42:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Your post wasn't off topic...

I was sure that there was probably some service providers that didn't
lock their phones. However, the norm in North America is that the
phones are sold locked (and I'm only familiar with the North American
market).

In any event, I hope that the lawsuit in the U.S. is successful and
the GSM service providers are forced to unlock their phones or sell
them as unlocked.



obs@geocities.com (obs) wrote in message news:<772c0c2d.0406282330.4f9db78e@posting.google.com>...
> > Fido like all GSM service providers lock their phones. There are
> > exceptions like where Cingular didn't lock their Treo 600's (not sure
> > if they still sell them unlocked) and Rogers didn't lock their
> > Tungsten W (their Tungsten-W is still unlocked).
>
>
> This is getting off the topic but not all the GSM
> providers in the world lock their phones. None of
> the providers in Finland do it because of laws
> there. In other places, phones purchased with a
> contract are unlocked (as they should be).
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:52:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Rogers advertised that their Treo 600 was sold "locked" (it was on
their webpage). I can't find the link now but it was there when the
Treo 600 was first sold by Rogers.

However, as you mentioned, the North American GSM service providers
don't openly say that their phones are locked when they sell them.
They will probably only tell you if you ask specifically about this.



repatch <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.29.12.23.28.744295@yahoo.com>...
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:30:33 -0700, obs wrote:
>
> >> Fido like all GSM service providers lock their phones. There are
> >> exceptions like where Cingular didn't lock their Treo 600's (not sure
> >> if they still sell them unlocked) and Rogers didn't lock their
> >> Tungsten W (their Tungsten-W is still unlocked).
> >
> >
> > This is getting off the topic but not all the GSM
> > providers in the world lock their phones. None of
> > the providers in Finland do it because of laws
> > there. In other places, phones purchased with a
> > contract are unlocked (as they should be).
>
> FWIW most phones sold in Europe are locked, however, there are two stark
> differences compared to here:
>
> - they freely admit they are locked, and even say so in the ads
> - they will unlock them without an issue after you've been with them for a
> while, usually a year, which is also clearly stated in the ad
>
> MUCH better then the "you're locked in forever" junk that providers in
> North America try to pull... TTYL
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:55:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I'm not doubting you on this but why would Fido or any service
provider unlock your phone for free when you use that excuse? Someone
else told me the same thing but I've never been able to get Fido or
Rogers to unlock my phone for free. It is in their interest for you to
use their ROAMING rates instead of using the local country's GSM
service provider's pay as you go (prepaid).


"Dominic Richens" <knob@storm.ca> wrote in message news:<cbru92$eol$1@news.storm.ca>...
> Steven Fisher wrote:
> > In article <Xns9516930CD4D24sonicyouth@216.196.97.132>,
> > Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> there's a reason why the price of phones from cellphone companies are
> >> hundreds of dollars cheaper than list price. it's because they are
> >> subsidised by the wireless company, and therefore they lock the
> >> phone for at least two years.
> >
> > It will cost you $250 to get a Fido cell phone unlocked. (I just asked
> > them.)
>
> don't know what the threshold is, but if you have been with Fido long enough
> and have racked up enough usage, they'll do it for free if you give them the
> right excuse (e.g. you'll be in NYC for a month and want to use a local
> pay-as-you-go etc...).
>
> I've thought about trying to get my 6 year old 5190 unlocked so I can use
> Rogers pay-as-you-go out in the sticks...
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 8:06:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I don't believe that excuse from the cellular service providers. This
would mean that if I bought a phone without a contract at the higher
rate, the phone should be unlocked.

Consider this: If I were to buy a Treo 600 without a contract from
Rogers, it would cost me around $899+tax. However if I buy a Treo 600
with a 2 year contract with Rogers, I could possibly get it for around
$600+tax. However, both phones (Treo 600's) are locked regardless of
whether I want a contract or not. Comparing the price that
Handspring/PalmOne sells their unbranded/unlocked Treo 600 phone and
using the conversion rate, it comes to a few dollars more than how
much Rogers is selling their locked Treo 600 phone without a contract
for. Therefore Rogers (and the other providers) are locking the phone
even when they aren't really subsidizing any cost (without contract
price).





Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9516930CD4D24sonicyouth@216.196.97.132>...
> Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote in
> news:9joud0p9im4m4g6e9rn5n6evorts1e89qc@4ax.com:
>
> > I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
> > concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
> > service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
> > pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
> > provider.
>
>
> there's a reason why the price of phones from cellphone companies are
> hundreds of dollars cheaper than list price. it's because they are
> subsidised by the wireless company, and therefore they lock the phone for
> at least two years.
June 30, 2004 2:33:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

> I've thought about trying to get my 6 year old
> 5190 unlocked so I can use Rogers pay-as-you-go
> out in the sticks...


Don't think about it ... just do it.
http://www.unlockme.co.uk/dct3free.html
Use DCT4 Generator by Hollowman 5.4

1: make sure you select DCT3 type phones
2: use Microcell as the provider (not Fido Special)
3: there will be 2 unlock codes generated. you
need to use them both
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 6:45:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I mentioned this near the top of the thread. Go to froogle or yahoo
shopping and you'll inevitably get a deal that's at least as good if
not usually better than the service providers offer here in Canada,
but for an unlocked phone or PDA. Example: the new Nokia 3100 that's
*coming soon* to Fido has been available with US online merchants for
some time and is pretty cheap now.

Even the subsidies on phones here are no longer competitive with
what's being offered in the US, where you can get phones like the v400
for nothing if you sign a contract.


invalid_jimpoon@canada.com (Jim Poon) wrote in message news:<480ea63d.0406291506.7e1c394e@posting.google.com>...
> I don't believe that excuse from the cellular service providers. This
> would mean that if I bought a phone without a contract at the higher
> rate, the phone should be unlocked.
>
> Consider this: If I were to buy a Treo 600 without a contract from
> Rogers, it would cost me around $899+tax. However if I buy a Treo 600
> with a 2 year contract with Rogers, I could possibly get it for around
> $600+tax. However, both phones (Treo 600's) are locked regardless of
> whether I want a contract or not. Comparing the price that
> Handspring/PalmOne sells their unbranded/unlocked Treo 600 phone and
> using the conversion rate, it comes to a few dollars more than how
> much Rogers is selling their locked Treo 600 phone without a contract
> for. Therefore Rogers (and the other providers) are locking the phone
> even when they aren't really subsidizing any cost (without contract
> price).
>
>
>
>
>
> Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9516930CD4D24sonicyouth@216.196.97.132>...
> > Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote in
> > news:9joud0p9im4m4g6e9rn5n6evorts1e89qc@4ax.com:
> >
> > > I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
> > > concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
> > > service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable and
> > > pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to another
> > > provider.
> >
> >
> > there's a reason why the price of phones from cellphone companies are
> > hundreds of dollars cheaper than list price. it's because they are
> > subsidised by the wireless company, and therefore they lock the phone for
> > at least two years.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 2:24:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

The trouble with buying phones online, however, is that they either have no
warranty, or it is very difficult to honour the warranty. I'd rather try to
get Fido to give a me phone for cheaper (which I'll unlock myself) so I at
least have my 1 year in-store warranty. Just my 2 cents.

CU

"sbdot" <sbdot@mailandnews.com> wrote in message
news:6212bd00.0406300145.5ec036aa@posting.google.com...
> I mentioned this near the top of the thread. Go to froogle or yahoo
> shopping and you'll inevitably get a deal that's at least as good if
> not usually better than the service providers offer here in Canada,
> but for an unlocked phone or PDA. Example: the new Nokia 3100 that's
> *coming soon* to Fido has been available with US online merchants for
> some time and is pretty cheap now.
>
> Even the subsidies on phones here are no longer competitive with
> what's being offered in the US, where you can get phones like the v400
> for nothing if you sign a contract.
>
>
> invalid_jimpoon@canada.com (Jim Poon) wrote in message
news:<480ea63d.0406291506.7e1c394e@posting.google.com>...
> > I don't believe that excuse from the cellular service providers. This
> > would mean that if I bought a phone without a contract at the higher
> > rate, the phone should be unlocked.
> >
> > Consider this: If I were to buy a Treo 600 without a contract from
> > Rogers, it would cost me around $899+tax. However if I buy a Treo 600
> > with a 2 year contract with Rogers, I could possibly get it for around
> > $600+tax. However, both phones (Treo 600's) are locked regardless of
> > whether I want a contract or not. Comparing the price that
> > Handspring/PalmOne sells their unbranded/unlocked Treo 600 phone and
> > using the conversion rate, it comes to a few dollars more than how
> > much Rogers is selling their locked Treo 600 phone without a contract
> > for. Therefore Rogers (and the other providers) are locking the phone
> > even when they aren't really subsidizing any cost (without contract
> > price).
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
news:<Xns9516930CD4D24sonicyouth@216.196.97.132>...
> > > Tranic <tranic@tranic.com> wrote in
> > > news:9joud0p9im4m4g6e9rn5n6evorts1e89qc@4ax.com:
> > >
> > > > I'm looking into purchasing an ericsson phone through FIDO. I'm
> > > > concerned about whether or not they modify their phones with SIM or
> > > > service provider locks. I'd like to not have to buy a data cable
and
> > > > pay to have the locks removed if i ever decide to move over to
another
> > > > provider.
> > >
> > >
> > > there's a reason why the price of phones from cellphone companies are
> > > hundreds of dollars cheaper than list price. it's because they are
> > > subsidised by the wireless company, and therefore they lock the phone
for
> > > at least two years.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.712 / Virus Database: 468 - Release Date: 27/06/2004
!