Intel Retiring Centrino Brand From Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
apache_lives is right. It was incredibly irksome that everyone from users, to even vendors and the media referring to "Centrino processors." It was so infuriating that in all these years, they could never get it RIGHT in understanding what the heck Centrino was... Which also makes me wonder just what sort of branding value the name has. I can only imagine all the confusion over Intel naming a wireless adapter "Centrino," and people thinking it has a powerful CPU in it.

Ok, you report this and you don't report the Core i5/i3 brand announcement by Intel
The important take away points are as follows:

1) The new brand is Intel Core. There will be three derivatives: Core i7, Core i5 and Core i3.

2) The Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad branding will eventually disappear.

3) Pentium, Celeron and Atom will remain.

4) Centrino will also go away and Intel's WiFi and WiMAX products will inherit the name starting in 2010.
See: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3585
You only report on point #4.

[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Strange. I could have sworn this article:http://www.tomshardware.com/news/i [...] ,8094.htmlWas posted earlier in the day. / Tuan[/citation]

Well in Shadow703793's defense, I don't see that article listed on the Tom's main page either. Guess it only shows under the "News" section if you click the tab at the top.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't think 95% of the people walking into BestBuy looking for a computer could tell you what Centrino means. It is nice to have a designation saying "your computer has AT LEAST these components", but if no one knows that those components are, it doesn't mean anything. Besides, even I don't give a rats ass what kind of WiFi chip is used, just as long as it connects to my WiFi network, and I'd have to think darn near 100% of WiFi chips can.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]begone the days of people thinking centrino is a processor[/citation]
wow, I thought it was only a small number of people...

Though, I remember the days where vendors would sell me a Pentium Celeron 700.

I've even seen Pentium 4 Core Duo

I really feel somtimes people are dumb.. Except us... :) Hence what we say here: your car's trouble was the muffler bearing.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]begone the days of people thinking centrino is a processor[/citation]

o/ lol guilty as charged

Status
Not open for further replies.