Looking for Gaming Laptop Under $670

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralCrocket

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
1. What is your budget?

Under $670

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15"+

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Anything's fine, really.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Anything is fine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Medium Settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Sony Vegas, video editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Anything over 500 GB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

No sites that I prefer.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3+ years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not too picky about the drive, although I don't need Bluray.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the
reasons.

Don't really prefer any brands.

13. What country do you live in?

US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

N/A

chad2625

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
so Yes at $670 you can get some good gaming out of a laptop, espically if you go with an AMD based APU. The A100-4600 and A8-4500 both pretty good processors, like all things intel's processors and beat the crap out of AMD's but in a pure budge dollar/performance AMD is a clear winner. Espically when your a gamer, becuase of the A series processors ability to crossfire. To put this in perspective I just ordered at G7z-2100 series cto hp (havent gotten it yet /cry) with an AMD A10-4600M and a Radeon 7670M, wich according to notebookcheck.net is pretty comperable to the nvida ht 650M (it out perfoms the AMD soultion by 1%). My cost from hp was $678.59 (including taxes and shipping), to get something with a nvida 650m off of newegg your looking at $900 minium. When looking for gaming, you want to look for the best possible video card you can afford, as that is where you bottle neck will be. Unless you just buy the cheapest CPU out there, you should be fine.

It is true that video encoding ripping, and editing may go faster on an intel cpu but it still will run it just may take longer. Go with what ever you would like but I am really exited about my HP, and I do a lot of gaming on my curent amd A8-3530mx wich only has a 6620G and it plays games at 1600 by 900 at medium- medium high settings just fine (FPS could be higher).

here are the specs to my CTO Laptop
HP Pavilion g7z-2100 Notebook PC link to product page
• sparkling black
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor (3.2GHz/2.3GHz, 4MB L2 Cache) Adds $100 to base
1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7670M Discrete-Class Graphics $50 to base
• FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1Dimm)
• FREE Upgrade to 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
• Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
• No additional security software
• 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
• 17.3-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone
• 802.11b/g/n WLAN

ram1009

Distinguished
Apparently you (like many others) think of a laptop as a portable desktop. It isn't. There are many things you can't do well with a laptop (especially at your price point) and gaming is one of them.

GeneralCrocket

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Thanks, very helpful. Think this thing can run BF3 at decent settings, like medium?

GeneralCrocket

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

I know it's not a portable desktop. I just want to play some games from time to time, I'm not using this as an extreme powerhouse.

However, I'm sure that laptops at this price range can run new games at medium settings, which I'm perfectly fine with.

chad2625

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Yes I actually think that it should beable to said games at those settings but I'm just speculating. Here is a video playing mass effect 3 at full settings.
According to notebookcheck.net the 7670m by it's self gets about 24 FPS at medium settings and 19 fps at high settings, add the 7660G in crossfire you should see decent Frame rates.

I wouldn't say the set up would win many awards, but its a entry level gaming computer. As far as Ram1009's comments I would say entry level, gaming is possible at the $700 range. Technology is changing and mobile devices of any kind are getting more and more powerful, and cheaper. Would this setup replace a desktop? I still keep my desktop around, but I am happy with my mobile set up.

userxvi-JOE

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I have to side with Junky77, those are pretty decent prices for those parts, the games you want to play, are best played on an Nvidia card indeed.

HP business outlet sometimes has some extremely rich finds, rare but Iv seen oh so many over the years, just keep refreshing.
You can Nab a DV6 or DV7 Nvidia+intel lappy for under 600 with the full HD screen, beware of taxes thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.