Added Win98 to Acer Tableyt PC, but cannot dual-boot to it

Well, I have a new Acer Travelmate 300 that came with XP Tablet
Edition installed. Since I want to be able to access a true DOS
version for imaging etc. and have a PC-Card reader which is not
suppported in XP, I decided to add Win98. I re-partitioned with
Partition Magic such that XP was now on the second primary partition,
and impressed an image of Win98 on the first primary partition. Win
98 now shows up as G: drive (D: and E: are logical drives and have my
apps and data respectively, and F: is theCD/DVD drive)
At this point, I tried to install Bootmagic 1.0, but got a message
that a boot manager was already installed. To my knowledge that is
not true, but PQMagic show a non-DOS partition at the beginning of the
HD. So I figured I would use XP's boot manager, and added a line to
boot.ini, as follows:
[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
ADDED: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\W95="Microsoft Windows 98"
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Tablet PC Edition" /fastdetect
Windows 98 now shows up as choice, but when I select it, I get the
message that \system32\hal.dll is corrupt or missing. I copied it
from the XP to the Win98 partition, but that did not change anything.
I did some looking in this newsgroup, but many suggestions involve a
Repair CD,which did not come with my laptop. I also looked at Knox's
instructions on how to create bootsect.dos, but don't know if that's
what's needed, and am afraid to proceed. Any suggestions, please?
2 answers Last reply
More about added win98 acer tableyt dual boot

    Please visit the experts in the Tablet PC newsgroup

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Bodo Diehn" wrote:

    | Well, I have a new Acer Travelmate 300 that came with XP Tablet
    | Edition installed. Since I want to be able to access a true DOS
    | version for imaging etc. and have a PC-Card reader which is not
    | suppported in XP, I decided to add Win98. I re-partitioned with
    | Partition Magic such that XP was now on the second primary partition,
    | and impressed an image of Win98 on the first primary partition. Win
    | 98 now shows up as G: drive (D: and E: are logical drives and have my
    | apps and data respectively, and F: is theCD/DVD drive)
    | At this point, I tried to install Bootmagic 1.0, but got a message
    | that a boot manager was already installed. To my knowledge that is
    | not true, but PQMagic show a non-DOS partition at the beginning of the
    | HD. So I figured I would use XP's boot manager, and added a line to
    | boot.ini, as follows:
    | [boot loader]
    | timeout=5
    | default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    | [operating systems]
    | ADDED: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\W95="Microsoft Windows 98"
    | /fastdetect
    | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    | Tablet PC Edition" /fastdetect
    | Windows 98 now shows up as choice, but when I select it, I get the
    | message that \system32\hal.dll is corrupt or missing. I copied it
    | from the XP to the Win98 partition, but that did not change anything.
    | I did some looking in this newsgroup, but many suggestions involve a
    | Repair CD,which did not come with my laptop. I also looked at Knox's
    | instructions on how to create bootsect.dos, but don't know if that's
    | what's needed, and am afraid to proceed. Any suggestions, please?

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0518-5, 05/08/2005
    Tested on: 5/8/2005 5:58:07 PM

    Hi,

    You can't boot the Win98 installation from the XP installation if the file
    system is NTFS. For this you need to use the Boot Magic program. It is
    likely seeing the existing XP bootloader when you go to install it, hence
    the message you are getting.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Bodo Diehn" <bododiehn@REMOVE-THIScybertrails.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I have a new Acer Travelmate 300 that came with XP Tablet
    > Edition installed. Since I want to be able to access a true DOS
    > version for imaging etc. and have a PC-Card reader which is not
    > suppported in XP, I decided to add Win98. I re-partitioned with
    > Partition Magic such that XP was now on the second primary partition,
    > and impressed an image of Win98 on the first primary partition. Win
    > 98 now shows up as G: drive (D: and E: are logical drives and have my
    > apps and data respectively, and F: is theCD/DVD drive)
    > At this point, I tried to install Bootmagic 1.0, but got a message
    > that a boot manager was already installed. To my knowledge that is
    > not true, but PQMagic show a non-DOS partition at the beginning of the
    > HD. So I figured I would use XP's boot manager, and added a line to
    > boot.ini, as follows:
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=5
    > [operating systems]
    > ADDED: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\W95="Microsoft Windows 98"
    > /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Tablet PC Edition" /fastdetect
    > Windows 98 now shows up as choice, but when I select it, I get the
    > message that \system32\hal.dll is corrupt or missing. I copied it
    > from the XP to the Win98 partition, but that did not change anything.
    > I did some looking in this newsgroup, but many suggestions involve a
    > Repair CD,which did not come with my laptop. I also looked at Knox's
    > instructions on how to create bootsect.dos, but don't know if that's
    > what's needed, and am afraid to proceed. Any suggestions, please?

Partition Windows XP