CD & DVD will not swallow disks

pt

Neither of my two drives will take in any CD or disc. They both just eject
the tray after a few seconds of activity, without reading anything (so far as
I can tell).

Has anyone any idea why they might be behaving like this?

Jim

"PT" <PT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Neither of my two drives will take in any CD or disc. They both just
eject
> the tray after a few seconds of activity, without reading anything (so far
as
> I can tell).
>
> Has anyone any idea why they might be behaving like this?
Hardware problem seems the most likely cause.
Jim

pt

"Jim" wrote:

> "PT" <PT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Neither of my two drives will take in any CD or disc. They both just
> eject
> > the tray after a few seconds of activity, without reading anything (so far
> as
> > I can tell).
> >
> > Has anyone any idea why they might be behaving like this?
> Hardware problem seems the most likely cause.
> Jim
>

> Seems v strange that both drives should do the exact same behaviour unless its a software cause ? Tried re-installing the 2dy IDE controller - same problem. If it is hardware, what might it be?

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

Try uninstalling the secondary ide controller and let windows find it again.

"PT" <PT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Neither of my two drives will take in any CD or disc. They both just
> eject
> the tray after a few seconds of activity, without reading anything (so far
> as
> I can tell).
>
> Has anyone any idea why they might be behaving like this?

pt

Tried that none. See above. I suspect a registry cause as they are
different manfacturers drives - 1 Liteon 1 Mitsubishi. The system seems to
be recognising the drives as the cursor changes to a CD very breifly after
one is put in, but then the tray spits it out again after a few seconds.
Happens regardless of type of CD (audio, data etc.)