Windows 98, invalid page fault

CADMANCAN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
Friend asked if I could help and i am stumped. It is preferred if the whole OS isnt wiped out and started over

Windows 98 SE
800MHz Intel
64 MEgs of Ram

Microsoft Knowledge base didnt hit at all. There were a few that were close, but nothing to actually help.

error received is "iexplore, aim, outlok express, explore
(when typing url in address bar), yahoo compnion,
netscape.....caused an invalid page fault in module
unknown".

Ran Norton Antivirus, found 1 virus, fixed, problem remains
Ran Norton Utilities, 200 errors, problem remains
Reverted to previous configuration from IE6 to IE5.5,
problem remains
Tried to repair IE6 from add/remove programs, problem
remains
Uninstalled all internet programs and reinstalled (except
Internet Explorer.

Can anyone help?? Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best IE version for 98SE is IE5. It's included in the package. Nothing else can compare for stability.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

CADMANCAN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
The virus was Win95 and was fixed by Norton

I have reverted back to IE5.5, ut havent tried IE5

Would either of these explain the invalid page fault? Reinstalling OS is probably best but I am trying to avoid this becaquse the box isnt mine.

Here is an update anyway

Tried to fix registry, (scanreg /fix)problem remains
Tried to restore a previous registry (scanreg /restore, problem remains
Tried to rename and extract files winsock.dll, wsock32.dll, and ws2_32.dll, problem remains (files used for browsing)
Uninstall/ Reinstall dialup networking, problem remains
Uninstall/Reinstall TCP/IP and dial up adapter in Network control panel, problem remains

sturm

Splendid
Have you tried reinstalling windows over itself. A file may have been damaged or corrupted that wont be repaired by the things you have tried.
You also might try removing and reinstalling the memory and any other cards in the computer. Sometimes they can work loose or lose contact due to chip creap:heating and cooling causes the chips to expand and contract and work loose overtime.
get back with results.

CADMANCAN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
If I reinstall windows over itself will the programs on system still work?? I know thats sounds like a silly ?? on my part.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think a corrupt program causes it, but it's been over a year since I've seen one.

Another member recommended doing a refresh install of Win98SE, that sometimes works. I'd suggest you uninstal IE5.5 if you can first.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
There are lots of variants of that virus. Seems one/some/lots of the executable files are/can be corrupted and not repaired 100%. The statement "problem remains" by Norton seems to me indicative of something proper/unclean. Any further details given by Norton?

Try the things suggested by the previous people. If that doesn't work ask your friend what he thinks about reloading.
Maybe you/he can save his data to a spare or 2nd disk or CD before reloading.

The loving are the daring!

TRENDING THREADS