Lenovo's T400 Ran Over Truck, Survives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
The title is poorly worded.

You need to include the word "by" as in "Lenovo's T400 Run Over by Truck". This titles describes a laptop running over a truck.

G

"Lenovo's T400 Ran Over Truck, Survives"

A laptop ran over a truck? That's pretty amazing.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The "left outside during a tornado" portion was entirely underwhelming. What you meant to say was "left ouside whilst there was a tornado about 50, maybe 100, miles away." They dropped it a few times, got it a little wet, and then took it home. Where was the F5 tornado ripping along, picking up the notebook and dropping it in the next county? THATs a notebook I would want in my backpack (at that point I could simply use the notebook's indestructibility as a shelter against any calamity.)

G

What gets me about this article is that it talks like the T400 isnt publicly available, but they are on Lenovo's website and we have been using them at work for several months.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I can't see the videos at work, so I'm just going to assume that the first video is a video of a lenovo laptop being run over Space Marine Style by Dawn of War.

Awesome.

- message sent via wireless connection to intarwebs from a ThinkPad. WITH THE NUBBIN

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]fudgedelic[/nom]Naturally the grammar police have replied first. By the way, the title is POORLY worded, not badly. Ironic isn't it.[/citation]
...I did say poorly.

And I wasn't annoyed by the grammar, my hopes were crushed when I didn't see a video of some monster rig battle a Monster Trunk in a giant arena with fire breath.

G

My Thinkpad T61 fell 7 feet from the top of the back of our Toyota Hylander when my wife open the gate to get something out. I freaked out and then after examining the laptop I could not believe nothing was broken and immediately booted after I pressed the power button.

I will be buying a Lenovo Thinkpad in the future.

Mike Boardley
Happy Thinkpad owner

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]bri1682[/nom]What gets me about this article is that it talks like the T400 isnt publicly available, but they are on Lenovo's website and we have been using them at work for several months.[/citation]

[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Hmm, I have a T400 at work. Are you sure they're not out yet?[/citation]

The T400 has been out for a while. However, the T400s is not yet on the market.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Nothing impressive about throwing a laptop out of a car, dropping it from 6 feet, throwing it 10 feet into dirt, or letting it get soaked in the rain? Alright then. Not sure what WOULD impress you.

brother shrike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
[citation][nom]hirano[/nom]Lenovo's are garbage, besides that I am not giving a penny of my money to support the chinese govt.[/citation]
What do you consider better? Dell? Compaq? oh wait, they may be based in America, but their factories aren't... Plus they aren't as reliable, and don't have the best keyboards of any notebook out there.
And since when does money to a private company go to the government, besides taxes?

frozen cpu

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
@Brother Shrike - what do you suggest then, are you saying that lenovo is the best labtop period. If not then I say anything comparable would be a better choice than a lenovo. Yes I would choose a dell over a lenovo and this is not an issue about choosing american product over chinese it's that I would choose anything comparable over lenovo because I don't trust the chinese govt when it comes to electronics.

frozen cpu

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
@Brother Shrike - what do you suggest then, are you saying that lenovo is the best labtop period. If not then I say anything comparable would be a better choice than a lenovo. Yes I would choose a dell over a lenovo and this is not an issue about choosing american product over chinese it's that I would choose anything comparable over lenovo because I don't trust the chinese govt when it comes to electronics.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Frozen & hirano: Lenovo makes one of the better notebooks in the world. They don't load them up with junk like Hpaq and are easily better built. Take some notebooks apart. They are priced about the same as any high-end notebook from Dell, Toshiba, etc. They have their lower-end consumer line as well which are also pretty good (IdeaPads). But your issues with the Chinese govt. (which I agreed, isn't the best - but that is UP to their people to make change) is quite stupid. Look at every thing piece of electronics you OWN and see how many say "Made in China". CPUs, GPUs, Video cards, Drives, PC cases, computers, DVD players, monitors, mice, printer, etc are made in... CHINA.

I'll inventory my own computer:
Antec Case = China
Logitech mouse and keyboard = china
USB cables = china
24" Samsung monitor = Mexico
Gigabyte Mobo = Taiwan
Stanley Stud finder = China
Canon Printer = Vietnam (Thats a Commie country)
Various PSUs = China
Sony DVD player = China
Video cards = China (I looked at 4 of them)
Altec Lansing speakers = China (So are Logitechs & Creative)

The sony battery in my sony phone = China
An Ikea lap (Swedish brand)= China
GE florescent bulbs = china

The baic model HP, Compaqs, eMachines and even Dells computers are from China.
The StarWars & Star Trek toys are from China as well as most toys and many other low-prices stuff.

Acer, one of the largest computer companies in the world, is Chinese.

Because of the amount of business China does with the rest of the world, its amazing that we are "enemies" to some degree and have nukes pointed at each other.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The T400 "series" has actually been around for years, in a sense. They have been re-branded from the previous T series known as the T61. Other than the label and upgraded CPU/RAM/chipset... its the same computers as they have been for years.

The Lenovo Design (okay, IBM's) is that these computers have "roll-cages", extra HD protection, Keyboard drainage channels, keyboard light, etc. Important note is that the 14" and smaller Thinkpads have the roll-cage designs in the LCD display panel.

The series:
SL (new) = Modernized look with Thinkpad features, cheapest models. HDMI
R = ex-low-end model. These are the "basic" business models.
T = High-end / standard models. Have the fastest options, better weight.
X = Smallest / lightest models. The X300 goes against the Apple.
W = (new) Fastest & biggest. 15/17" with drawing pads, dual display, quad core designs.

Pretty much all of them DON'T have glossy screens (you have to choose it) which is WHY I bought a ThinkPad. Also, getting a Thinkpad with XP pre-installed is simple (but you MUST buy the VistaBusiness Version).
Lenovo's IdeaPads have the glossy screens in otherwise awesome cheaper-non business class notebooks.

You'll rarely find an unhappy ThinkPad owner.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Frozen & hirano: Lenovo makes one of the better notebooks in the world. They don't load them up with junk like Hpaq and are easily better built. Take some notebooks apart. They are priced about the same as any high-end notebook from Dell, Toshiba, etc. They have their lower-end consumer line as well which are also pretty good (IdeaPads). But your issues with the Chinese govt. (which I agreed, isn't the best - but that is UP to their people to make change) is quite stupid. Look at every thing piece of electronics you OWN and see how many say "Made in China". CPUs, GPUs, Video cards, Drives, PC cases, computers, DVD players, monitors, mice, printer, etc are made in... CHINA.I'll inventory my own computer:Antec Case = ChinaLogitech mouse and keyboard = chinaUSB cables = china24" Samsung monitor = MexicoGigabyte Mobo = TaiwanStanley Stud finder = ChinaCanon Printer = Vietnam (Thats a Commie country)Various PSUs = ChinaSony DVD player = ChinaVideo cards = China (I looked at 4 of them)Altec Lansing speakers = China (So are Logitechs & Creative)The sony battery in my sony phone = ChinaAn Ikea lap (Swedish brand)= ChinaGE florescent bulbs = chinaThe baic model HP, Compaqs, eMachines and even Dells computers are from China.The StarWars & Star Trek toys are from China as well as most toys and many other low-prices stuff.Acer, one of the largest computer companies in the world, is Chinese.Because of the amount of business China does with the rest of the world, its amazing that we are "enemies" to some degree and have nukes pointed at each other.[/citation]

Even "American only" companies use China. BlueJeansCable likes to talk about how its higher priced cabling is made in America. Sadly, even they admit the cable stock is made in America, but it has to be terminated in China (there is otherwise no way to keep the cables from hitting Monster Cable esque prices or higher). Ethan Allen, American furniture makers, have the frames assembled in China. All they do nowaday is staple on the fabric here, then quality control happens here.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I have a Lenovo laptop sitting next to me and it's a brick, which is great since I need something that'll hold up more than I need something that's pretty and light at work. At home, pretty and light works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.