"Search" opens when i double-click file folders.

Just as the title says, does anybody know why this is?And can you help me fix
it? Thanks in advance, Tim.
3 answers Last reply
More about search opens double click file folders

    Thank you VERY much Rick. =-)
    Funny thing is, i wrote this not really expecting much help, but you proved
    me wrong. Thanks again!

    -Tim Owen

    Hi Tim,

    A common problem with an easy fix here:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "theninjainme" <theninjainme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just as the title says, does anybody know why this is?And can you help me
    > fix
    > it? Thanks in advance, Tim.

    More information:

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Tim Owen" <Tim Owen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you VERY much Rick. =-)
    > Funny thing is, i wrote this not really expecting much help, but you
    > proved
    > me wrong. Thanks again!
    >
    > -Tim Owen

Tim Support Microsoft Windows XP