Laptops - any new technology worth waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquaquake

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Hello,
I wanted to ask - is there upcoming "revolutionary" technology which should make me wait for?
I mean, Im about to buy new laptop HP ProBook 4540s which fits my needs quite well, but if there's any upcoming technology which would e.g. double battery duration or so Id rather wait (ok it doesn't have to be doubled =D)

Im only casual gamer so high-end CPU's and graphics card are out of my interest. Im interested in mostly battery duration and things related to laptop's durability.

Thanks for any answers!
Have a nice day!

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Be sure to get the 3rd gen intel processor of your choice, as they offer improved power consumption over the second gen counterparts; but it's nothing drastic. Adding an SSD to a laptop will also improve battery life, but I've got now idea how much a difference it makes.

I don't think there are any magic technologies coming anytime soon :)

Regarding your choice in laptop, for a 15" laptop, that resolution is going to make things rather large on screen, usually a 1920x1080 screen ends up being a lot better to use at that size. (simply an FYI).

Nothing on the near horizon so dramatic that you need to worry about grabbing that ProBook 4540s Ivy Bridge model.
It's an excellent choice and should server well in the next 4-5 years.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
i think the manufacturers still working and releasing the "cheaper" ivy bridge models (i5, i3 etc).
i7 was released 4/23, then it takes some time for laptop manufactures to have it available. So these are now pretty widely available.

I5 and i3 are "out" as of 5/31, but not quite as widely availability yet; sometimes partially so vendors can clear out their old stock.
That being said, you can probably find a good deal on "2nd" generation sandy bridge.
So yea, nothing specific new on the horizon that will make dramatic change.

Aquaquake

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012

Hmm I was thinking that as well, but there's no 1920x1080 screen laptop in my price range that would fit my needs :(

Nothing on the near horizon so dramatic that you need to worry about grabbing that ProBook 4540s Ivy Bridge model.
It's an excellent choice and should server well in the next 4-5 years.

Well there's no 4540s with Ivy Bridge in the shop Im buying from. Does that Sandy Bridge (specificaly i5-2450M) eat any enormously more energy or I should grab it anyway?

When you mentioned ProBook 4540s I guess we assumed it was one of the Ivy Bridge models.

No option to get one of the Ivy Bridge Core i5-3210M off the HP website?
It's been available with that CPU for a while now.

I wouldn't say that i5-2450M is a definite down-check but if you're able to find out when the IVB models are coming in - now THAT might be a reason to wait.

It does not use a lot more battery power. Both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are pretty efficient when it comes to using battery power. The LCD screen is the 'big' energy hog in a laptop anyway.

As for a 1920x1080 or 1600x900 LCD screen - they are very nice to have options.
They can really increase your productivity. Another option that works well is for working at home or in the office - get an external 1920x1080 monitor. Decent models are available for under $150. You'll have your 1920x1080 work space and you can use the laptops LCD as a 2nd monitor as well.

Aquaquake

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Yes, I was thinking about 2nd monitor as well - could you help me with it's choice as well? I have really no idea about them :??:

Anyway, thank you all for responses, I appreciate your effort :na:

userxvi-JOE

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Mobile quadcore cellphones pads and pad/laptop hybrids
Exceptional battery performance can be had from Pad/laptop hybrids 13+ hours for the soon to be released ASUS 701 for example.

AMD ultrathin notebooks, very similar real world performance to i7 Intel except far better graphics capabilities, games, multiple monitors, still nothing more then a 20 or so % improvement in reality.

other then that there's really nothing that jumps to mind right now, just more fillers to get out money in most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.