Should I stay or should I go?

biGGib

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
My computer is on its last legs and I really need to buy a new motherboard and processor for it. But with the emergence of PCI express should I wait and get a PCI express graphics card with a PCI express motherboard or just get a new motherboard with AGP? Is there a PCI express card that matches the best AGP cards yet?

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
That's the eternal question. Personally, if I were you, I'd hold out for the new technology. I just built a non-PCI-E rig but I'm not sweating it. Problem with PCI-E will be a lack of graphics cards, funky drivers and conflicts. This will take at least half a year to "shake out". Personally, I preferred to get the old, stable technology. I can upgrade mobo and graphics card at a later date.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

G

If you plan to keep your computer for something like 2 years dont bother with PCI-EX If you dont think youll be able to change it for 2-3 years and after 3 ears you might upgrade some parts to make it last longer definitivly consider PCIe

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
hmm..funny...i would have given just the opposite advice. If you dont want to upgrade for the next 2 yrs...better to in for the latest(ie PCIE) so that it lasts longer and u have some resale value in the future. If you plan to upgrade it, which in turn means u have money for that, go for non PCIE now, and wait till a rock solid platform arrives. Also Intel took out 64butt(32bit with 64 bit ext) processor, comparable to Athlon 64, Fx. So expect more variety soon.
Whatever way you go, the day u buy ur stuff, its old the next day.

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>

G

Well theres no real answer to a question like that I just gave my opinion.

Imo a 2 years old PC doesnt have any value hehe so buying better components for its resale value in a few years is opintless...
now if you want to upgrade your PC if you find it slow in 2 years it will be easier to upgrade it if you have PCIe.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Yeah thats a tough question. But in 2 years we'll have a whole new platform...moore's law...still lives. So i guess whether he buys the non PCIE gen, or the PCIE gen, in 2 years both will be obselete. Graphics platform might remain same, but then again what use of a ultra powerfull graphic card with a shitty processor.

Its really the processor companies like INTEL, AMD, IBM(for standards) who control the market. PCIE is just like AGp...another product of intel (and others too)

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>