winsock error

I am rcving the same error message for 3 different files and my pc is slow.
Can someone help? The error message is:
Error in Winsock Module
Connection Structure is unknown.
Possible Reason:
Your firewall and/or antivirus app block the System-File: smss.exe.
Make sure that smss.exe can connect to the internet.
I'm also rcvg this error message for csrss.exe & services.exe.
Thank you,
3 answers Last reply
More about winsock error

    Actually you need to go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:netsh Winsock reset
    Youll recieve,"A restart is needed to complete" then type:EXIT Restart
    computer.

    "Robin" wrote:

    > I am rcving the same error message for 3 different files and my pc is slow.
    > Can someone help? The error message is:
    > Error in Winsock Module
    > Connection Structure is unknown.
    > Possible Reason:
    > Your firewall and/or antivirus app block the System-File: smss.exe.
    > Make sure that smss.exe can connect to the internet.
    > I'm also rcvg this error message for csrss.exe & services.exe.
    > Thank you,

    Robin,

    If you're using Windows XP SP2, see if resetting the Firewall settings
    helps. Type in Start, Run

    NETSH FIREWALL RESET

    You'll need to re-configure the firewall again (to add exceptions if any)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am rcving the same error message for 3 different files and my pc is slow.
    > Can someone help? The error message is:
    > Error in Winsock Module
    > Connection Structure is unknown.
    > Possible Reason:
    > Your firewall and/or antivirus app block the System-File: smss.exe.
    > Make sure that smss.exe can connect to the internet.
    > I'm also rcvg this error message for csrss.exe & services.exe.
    > Thank you,

    Additional Information:

    Posted earlier by Bitta
    -----------------------
    Quote:

    Any of you had a problem dialling up then get an error message - Error
    in Winsock Module.......Possible Reason: Your Firewall and/or Antivirus
    application block the System-File: services.exe.....etc.

    This error is real mind twister but believe it or not it has nothing to
    do with your winsock files, firewall or anything associated. It is
    actually a VIRUS. Yes a virus - Sober.o(SYMANTEC) to be exact. Good
    news is that McAfee's Stinger - http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ - is
    able to remove the affected files and Symantec has a removal tool -
    http://securityresponse.symantec.co...moval.tool.html :thumb: :D
    YAY!!

    Hope this helps :cool:

    --
    Bitta

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Robin,
    >
    > If you're using Windows XP SP2, see if resetting the Firewall settings
    > helps. Type in Start, Run
    >
    > NETSH FIREWALL RESET
    >
    > You'll need to re-configure the firewall again (to add exceptions if any)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am rcving the same error message for 3 different files and my pc is
    >>slow.
    >> Can someone help? The error message is:
    >> Error in Winsock Module
    >> Connection Structure is unknown.
    >> Possible Reason:
    >> Your firewall and/or antivirus app block the System-File: smss.exe.
    >> Make sure that smss.exe can connect to the internet.
    >> I'm also rcvg this error message for csrss.exe & services.exe.
    >> Thank you,

Connection Winsock Error Message Windows XP