winsock error

May 9, 2005 1:47:01 AM

I am rcving the same error message for 3 different files and my pc is slow.
Can someone help? The error message is:
Error in Winsock Module
Connection Structure is unknown.
Possible Reason:
Your firewall and/or antivirus app block the System-File: smss.exe.
Make sure that smss.exe can connect to the internet.
I'm also rcvg this error message for csrss.exe & services.exe.
Thank you,

More about : winsock error

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 4:15:21 AM

Actually you need to go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:netsh Winsock reset
Youll recieve,"A restart is needed to complete" then type:EXIT Restart
computer.

"Robin" wrote:

> I am rcving the same error message for 3 different files and my pc is slow.
> Can someone help? The error message is:
> Error in Winsock Module
> Connection Structure is unknown.
> Possible Reason:
> Your firewall and/or antivirus app block the System-File: smss.exe.
> Make sure that smss.exe can connect to the internet.
> I'm also rcvg this error message for csrss.exe & services.exe.
> Thank you,
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 4:18:42 PM

Robin,

If you're using Windows XP SP2, see if resetting the Firewall settings
helps. Type in Start, Run

NETSH FIREWALL RESET

You'll need to re-configure the firewall again (to add exceptions if any)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am rcving the same error message for 3 different files and my pc is slow.
> Can someone help? The error message is:
> Error in Winsock Module
> Connection Structure is unknown.
> Possible Reason:
> Your firewall and/or antivirus app block the System-File: smss.exe.
> Make sure that smss.exe can connect to the internet.
> I'm also rcvg this error message for csrss.exe & services.exe.
> Thank you,
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:18:28 PM

Additional Information:

Posted earlier by Bitta
-----------------------
Quote:

Any of you had a problem dialling up then get an error message - Error
in Winsock Module.......Possible Reason: Your Firewall and/or Antivirus
application block the System-File: services.exe.....etc.

This error is real mind twister but believe it or not it has nothing to
do with your winsock files, firewall or anything associated. It is
actually a VIRUS. Yes a virus - Sober.o(SYMANTEC) to be exact. Good
news is that McAfee's Stinger - http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ - is
able to remove the affected files and Symantec has a removal tool -
http://securityresponse.symantec.co...moval.tool.html :thumb: :D
YAY!!

Hope this helps :cool:

--