XPSP2 install problem

Tags:
  • Windows XP
May 9, 2005 10:44:12 AM

I installed the XP SP 2 update and now windows won't start. It cuts out on
the Windows Splash screen then cycles back and for th to the boot screen.

Tried Restore which gives alert box reporting Unable to Run Restore, Please
Reboot. I reboot but both problems persist.

Any advice appreciated.

More about : xpsp2 install problem

May 9, 2005 5:09:39 PM

Did not follow instructions did you? Disconnect everything except your mouse,
monitor and keyboard. Also, shutdown the screensaver. At best, install it
from
the CD in Safe Mode. Start over again.
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...

AumHa Forums (cleanup after SP2 install)
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265&start=0&pos...

--
Today is the first day of the rest of
your life.

"craig" wrote:

> I installed the XP SP 2 update and now windows won't start. It cuts out on
> the Windows Splash screen then cycles back and for th to the boot screen.
>
> Tried Restore which gives alert box reporting Unable to Run Restore, Please
> Reboot. I reboot but both problems persist.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
May 9, 2005 5:10:08 PM

Forgot the main one:
What to Know Before You Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
--

"craig" wrote:

> I installed the XP SP 2 update and now windows won't start. It cuts out on
> the Windows Splash screen then cycles back and for th to the boot screen.
>
> Tried Restore which gives alert box reporting Unable to Run Restore, Please
> Reboot. I reboot but both problems persist.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:08:30 AM

Craig;
1. How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if
the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875355

2. Reboot tapping F8 each second.
Select "Last known good configuration" at the menu.
If that fails, reboot tapping F8 again this time choosing Safe Mode.
Then System Restore to Date/Time before issue started:
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

3. Otherwise perform a Repair Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

4. When you are ready for SP-2, follow the Service Pack Installation
Checklist:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org