PC Does Not Recognize HD???

I had to have a Computer shop erase the HD in my Dell Dimension 8250
because Windows XP gave me an error message that Windows Explorer was
closing down. That put me in a loop I couldn"t get out of. The error
message kept coming back and I couldn't access the START menu. I had 2
partitions(C&D) on the PC. Tried to reformat(erase) the C partiton
using FDISK but that wouldn't work. I wanted to try a clean install.
Took the HD to a computer place where they reformatted the entire HD. I
thought I could then use FDISK to repartition, reformat and do a clean
install but my PC will not even recognize my HD at all now. I am backed
up on an ext. HD so I have my data accessable through my laptop but I
want to get my Dimension 8250 going again and don't know what I should
do.
Maybe the computer place erased something that Dell put on the HD which
is why the computer won't recognize it. There are 4 lights on the back
of my computer which should all be green after boot up but one stays
orange. I have thoroughly checked cable connections, etc. I don't know
if the HD has gone bad, but am afraid that if I buy a new HD the PC may
not recogize it either. All comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
Robert
3 answers Last reply
More about recognize

    You took the computer for repair and they gave it back to you in a non
    functional state?

    Bring it back to them and tell them to fix it right this time!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "robert t" <nodak2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I had to have a Computer shop erase the HD in my Dell Dimension 8250
    >because Windows XP gave me an error message that Windows Explorer was
    >closing down. That put me in a loop I couldn"t get out of. The error
    >message kept coming back and I couldn't access the START menu. I had 2
    >partitions(C&D) on the PC. Tried to reformat(erase) the C partiton using
    >FDISK but that wouldn't work. I wanted to try a clean install. Took the HD
    >to a computer place where they reformatted the entire HD. I thought I could
    >then use FDISK to repartition, reformat and do a clean install but my PC
    >will not even recognize my HD at all now. I am backed up on an ext. HD so I
    >have my data accessable through my laptop but I want to get my Dimension
    >8250 going again and don't know what I should do.
    > Maybe the computer place erased something that Dell put on the HD which is
    > why the computer won't recognize it. There are 4 lights on the back of my
    > computer which should all be green after boot up but one stays orange. I
    > have thoroughly checked cable connections, etc. I don't know if the HD
    > has gone bad, but am afraid that if I buy a new HD the PC may not recogize
    > it either. All comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
    > Robert

    "robert t" <nodak2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I had to have a Computer shop erase the HD in my Dell Dimension 8250
    > because Windows XP gave me an error message that Windows Explorer was
    > closing down. That put me in a loop I couldn"t get out of. The error
    > message kept coming back and I couldn't access the START menu. I had 2
    > partitions(C&D) on the PC. Tried to reformat(erase) the C partiton
    > using FDISK but that wouldn't work. I wanted to try a clean install.
    > Took the HD to a computer place where they reformatted the entire HD. I
    > thought I could then use FDISK to repartition, reformat and do a clean
    > install but my PC will not even recognize my HD at all now. I am backed
    > up on an ext. HD so I have my data accessable through my laptop but I
    > want to get my Dimension 8250 going again and don't know what I should
    > do.
    > Maybe the computer place erased something that Dell put on the HD which
    > is why the computer won't recognize it. There are 4 lights on the back
    > of my computer which should all be green after boot up but one stays
    > orange. I have thoroughly checked cable connections, etc. I don't know
    > if the HD has gone bad, but am afraid that if I buy a new HD the PC may
    > not recogize it either. All comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
    > Robert
    The light color is supposed to be yellow. However, it seems that three
    green lights and one yellow one indicated a loose cable, etc. But you have
    already checked that. My suggestion is to take it back to the repair place.
    The manual says contact Dell in this case.
    Jum

    Several comments - do not know if any will help:
    1. Previous file system may have been NTFS - problems for
    FDISK.
    2. Evidently you took the HD to the shop - not the computer?
    3. Were system files installed at time of reformatting?
    4. If not- HD will not boot - message to insert system disk
    usually pops up.
    5. Message at boot that an operating system was not found
    usually indicates failure of BIOS to recognize the HD.
    6. I believe Dell used boards by "MSI" with the diagnostic
    leds - usually used at times when computer will not boot
    and usually indicates presence (or not) of pre-post and
    post voltages.
    7. Dell service may tell you significance of leds - keep in
    mind they follow scripts.
    8. An example of when a Win ME startup disk is worth its weight
    in gold - even with NTFS
    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

Computers HD Windows XP