XP HOME "Cannot Read From Source File Or Disk" Error

Sam

This is a problem on a XP Home installation.

In the RECYLER bin, is a directory called RVWOTJWT containing about 200
files named with 5 leading zeros and a 3 digit number followed by a
period. (ie 00000848)

I believe Norton Internet Security created a new version of this
directory during an upgrade and the old version ended up being moved to
the RECYLCER bin. I think the period is really a non-printable ascii
character and isn't really a period but I don't know what it is.

While the directory is in the RECYCLER bin and isn't causing problems,
it takes a lot of space and I would like to delete it but cannot.

Any deletes get the message "Cannot read from the source file or disk".

The problem isn't access to the directory so booting to SAFE Mode
doesn't help.

How can I get rid of this garbage?

Thanks.

Byte

Are you using the Norton Protected Recycle Bin? If you are, rightclick the
icon
and delete the protected files. You must delete the files first before
deleting
the directory. You can also delete them using the DOS emulator. By clicking
the Command Prompt and navigate to the directory. Then at the blinking
cursor type "del RVWOTJWT" (without the quotes). If it will not let you,
delete
the files within it first then the directory.
--
Today is the first day of the rest of
your life.

"sam" wrote:

> This is a problem on a XP Home installation.
>
> In the RECYLER bin, is a directory called RVWOTJWT containing about 200
> files named with 5 leading zeros and a 3 digit number followed by a
> period. (ie 00000848)
>
> I believe Norton Internet Security created a new version of this
> directory during an upgrade and the old version ended up being moved to
> the RECYLCER bin. I think the period is really a non-printable ascii
> character and isn't really a period but I don't know what it is.
>
> While the directory is in the RECYCLER bin and isn't causing problems,
> it takes a lot of space and I would like to delete it but cannot.
>
> Any deletes get the message "Cannot read from the source file or disk".
>
> The problem isn't access to the directory so booting to SAFE Mode
> doesn't help.
>
> How can I get rid of this garbage?
>
> Thanks.

Sam

I tried the right click and delete protected files but it doesn't remove
that directory. I also removed Norton protection but that didn't purge
the files either. There doesn't seem to be anything on the Symantec
site on this either.

Byte wrote:
> Are you using the Norton Protected Recycle Bin? If you are, rightclick the
> icon
> and delete the protected files. You must delete the files first before
> deleting
> the directory. You can also delete them using the DOS emulator. By clicking
> the Command Prompt and navigate to the directory. Then at the blinking
> cursor type "del RVWOTJWT" (without the quotes). If it will not let you,
> delete
> the files within it first then the directory.

senthilsiva

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs.

Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe. Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the AVI (or other undeletable file) is located in.

At the command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.