Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CRT/LCD Monitor

Tags:
  • Dell
  • LCD Monitor
  • CRT Monitors
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:06:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I am planning to purchase a new Dell computer shortly and am uncertain
of which type of monitor to order. Primarily, I use my computer for
word processing, spreadsheets and viewing and editing digital
photographs. I do not foresee any future need for video viewing or
editing, nor any intensive game play. Based on my needs
performancewise, would I be better off ordering a CRT or LCD monitor. I
am particularly concerned about the ability to display sharp 800 X 600
to 1280 X 960 images. I have been thinking in terms of a Dell 17" CRT
against a 17" LCD.

Kerrect

More about : crt lcd monitor

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 3:52:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

kerrect2@yahoo.com wrote:

>I am planning to purchase a new Dell computer shortly and am uncertain
>of which type of monitor to order. Primarily, I use my computer for
>word processing, spreadsheets and viewing and editing digital
>photographs. I do not foresee any future need for video viewing or
>editing, nor any intensive game play. Based on my needs
>performancewise, would I be better off ordering a CRT or LCD monitor. I
>am particularly concerned about the ability to display sharp 800 X 600
>to 1280 X 960 images. I have been thinking in terms of a Dell 17" CRT
>against a 17" LCD.
>
>Kerrect
>
>
>
I'm using an LCD display on a laptop (Dell Inspiron) with a 1600 X 1200
resolution. I can hardly stand CRT's any more.

However, and LCD is only clear and sharp at its native resolution. If I
try 800 X 600 or 1280 X 960 the display becomes blurry.

If you want variable display resolutions, go with the CRT. Note however,
that I can change the DPI to simulate a different display resolution
with no loss of sharpness.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:21:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

....and, to add what Jerry said - If you are deciding between the two you
mentioned, you want to compare the 17" LCD against a 19" CRT to get the
same, approximate, useable screen size.

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
news:Tw3Ud.41283$a96.24751@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> kerrect2@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>I am planning to purchase a new Dell computer shortly and am uncertain
>>of which type of monitor to order. Primarily, I use my computer for
>>word processing, spreadsheets and viewing and editing digital
>>photographs. I do not foresee any future need for video viewing or
>>editing, nor any intensive game play. Based on my needs
>>performancewise, would I be better off ordering a CRT or LCD monitor. I
>>am particularly concerned about the ability to display sharp 800 X 600
>>to 1280 X 960 images. I have been thinking in terms of a Dell 17" CRT
>>against a 17" LCD.
>>
>>Kerrect
>>
>>
> I'm using an LCD display on a laptop (Dell Inspiron) with a 1600 X 1200
> resolution. I can hardly stand CRT's any more.
>
> However, and LCD is only clear and sharp at its native resolution. If I
> try 800 X 600 or 1280 X 960 the display becomes blurry.
>
> If you want variable display resolutions, go with the CRT. Note however,
> that I can change the DPI to simulate a different display resolution with
> no loss of sharpness.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 2:47:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

kerrect2@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am planning to purchase a new Dell computer shortly and am uncertain
> of which type of monitor to order. Primarily, I use my computer for
> word processing, spreadsheets and viewing and editing digital
> photographs. I do not foresee any future need for video viewing or
> editing, nor any intensive game play. Based on my needs
> performancewise, would I be better off ordering a CRT or LCD monitor. I
> am particularly concerned about the ability to display sharp 800 X 600
> to 1280 X 960 images. I have been thinking in terms of a Dell 17" CRT
> against a 17" LCD.
>
> Kerrect
>

Overall, LCD's are easier on your eyes (no refresh rates, so that tired
burning eye feeling goes away). LCD's clearly take less desk space.
They are a true 17" or 19", so they are bigger than 17" or 19" CRT
units. Finally, they take less power than a CRT based monitor, so if
you use your computer a lot or leave it running 24x7, they can result in
a significant cost savings.

Downside is the native resolution issue. The dell monitors display best
at 1280x1024. If you aren't going to use this resolution, it's probably
best to NOT get the LCD. While they can do the other resolutions
(800x600 or 1024x768), they look nowhere near as good as they do at
their native resolutions.
February 28, 2005 5:48:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Editing digital photographs you say? If you are a "serious photographer", get
the CRT no question.

BT


<kerrect2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1109441199.093771.115030@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I am planning to purchase a new Dell computer shortly and am uncertain
> of which type of monitor to order. Primarily, I use my computer for
> word processing, spreadsheets and viewing and editing digital
> photographs. I do not foresee any future need for video viewing or
> editing, nor any intensive game play. Based on my needs
> performancewise, would I be better off ordering a CRT or LCD monitor. I
> am particularly concerned about the ability to display sharp 800 X 600
> to 1280 X 960 images. I have been thinking in terms of a Dell 17" CRT
> against a 17" LCD.
>
> Kerrect
>
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:21:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:48:02 -0500, BT wrote:

> Editing digital photographs you say? If you are a "serious photographer", get
> the CRT no question.

I agree - LCD is OK for Office workers and non-color/graphics oriented
work, but they are no where as crisp/calibrated as a CRT based screen. I
personally can't use an LCD because of the haze in the fonts when not
running at the highest resolution the LCD supports.


--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:10:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

First off, I want to thank all of you who were kind enough to respond
to my question regarding a use of a CRT or a LCD monitor for displaying
photographic images. Your answers have been most enlightening and
indeed useful.

As a final step, I checked out the Dell LCD monitors at my public
library, which I thought were 15 inch, bottom line models because of
the poor quality of their display. Imagine my surprise when I found
they were actually top of the line Dell, 17 inch, Ultra 1703FP models.
In all fairness, these displays are set up on an analog interface, with
an 800 X 600 resolution. All photographs appeared very fuzzy regardless
of their resolution.

Based on your comments and my extremely limited LCD hands on testing, I
will stay with a 17-inch CRT display and possibly invest the money
saved in added memory.

Again, thanks to all for taking the time for helping me decide on the
best display for my needs.

Kerrect
!