CRT/LCD Monitor

I am planning to purchase a new Dell computer shortly and am uncertain
of which type of monitor to order. Primarily, I use my computer for
word processing, spreadsheets and viewing and editing digital
photographs. I do not foresee any future need for video viewing or
editing, nor any intensive game play. Based on my needs
performancewise, would I be better off ordering a CRT or LCD monitor. I
am particularly concerned about the ability to display sharp 800 X 600
to 1280 X 960 images. I have been thinking in terms of a Dell 17" CRT
against a 17" LCD.

Kerrect
6 answers Last reply
More about monitor

    kerrect2@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I am planning to purchase a new Dell computer shortly and am uncertain
    >of which type of monitor to order. Primarily, I use my computer for
    >word processing, spreadsheets and viewing and editing digital
    >photographs. I do not foresee any future need for video viewing or
    >editing, nor any intensive game play. Based on my needs
    >performancewise, would I be better off ordering a CRT or LCD monitor. I
    >am particularly concerned about the ability to display sharp 800 X 600
    >to 1280 X 960 images. I have been thinking in terms of a Dell 17" CRT
    >against a 17" LCD.
    >
    >Kerrect

    I'm using an LCD display on a laptop (Dell Inspiron) with a 1600 X 1200
    resolution. I can hardly stand CRT's any more.

    However, and LCD is only clear and sharp at its native resolution. If I
    try 800 X 600 or 1280 X 960 the display becomes blurry.

    If you want variable display resolutions, go with the CRT. Note however,
    that I can change the DPI to simulate a different display resolution
    with no loss of sharpness.

    ....and, to add what Jerry said - If you are deciding between the two you
    mentioned, you want to compare the 17" LCD against a 19" CRT to get the
    same, approximate, useable screen size.

    kerrect2@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am planning to purchase a new Dell computer shortly and am uncertain
    > of which type of monitor to order. Primarily, I use my computer for
    > word processing, spreadsheets and viewing and editing digital
    > photographs. I do not foresee any future need for video viewing or
    > editing, nor any intensive game play. Based on my needs
    > performancewise, would I be better off ordering a CRT or LCD monitor. I
    > am particularly concerned about the ability to display sharp 800 X 600
    > to 1280 X 960 images. I have been thinking in terms of a Dell 17" CRT
    > against a 17" LCD.
    >
    > Kerrect

    Overall, LCD's are easier on your eyes (no refresh rates, so that tired
    burning eye feeling goes away). LCD's clearly take less desk space.
    They are a true 17" or 19", so they are bigger than 17" or 19" CRT
    units. Finally, they take less power than a CRT based monitor, so if
    you use your computer a lot or leave it running 24x7, they can result in
    a significant cost savings.

    Downside is the native resolution issue. The dell monitors display best
    at 1280x1024. If you aren't going to use this resolution, it's probably
    best to NOT get the LCD. While they can do the other resolutions
    (800x600 or 1024x768), they look nowhere near as good as they do at
    their native resolutions.

    Editing digital photographs you say? If you are a "serious photographer", get
    the CRT no question.

    BT

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:48:02 -0500, BT wrote:

    > Editing digital photographs you say? If you are a "serious photographer", get
    > the CRT no question.

    I agree - LCD is OK for Office workers and non-color/graphics oriented
    work, but they are no where as crisp/calibrated as a CRT based screen. I
    personally can't use an LCD because of the haze in the fonts when not
    running at the highest resolution the LCD supports.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    First off, I want to thank all of you who were kind enough to respond
    to my question regarding a use of a CRT or a LCD monitor for displaying
    photographic images. Your answers have been most enlightening and
    indeed useful.

    As a final step, I checked out the Dell LCD monitors at my public
    library, which I thought were 15 inch, bottom line models because of
    the poor quality of their display. Imagine my surprise when I found
    they were actually top of the line Dell, 17 inch, Ultra 1703FP models.
    In all fairness, these displays are set up on an analog interface, with
    an 800 X 600 resolution. All photographs appeared very fuzzy regardless
    of their resolution.

    Based on your comments and my extremely limited LCD hands on testing, I
    will stay with a 17-inch CRT display and possibly invest the money
    saved in added memory.

    Again, thanks to all for taking the time for helping me decide on the
    best display for my needs.

    Kerrect

Dell LCD Monitor CRT Monitors Computers