Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disk drive C is constantly active

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 9, 2005 2:28:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Sometimes my main disk drive gets very busy when I am not using the system.
How can I find what is causing this?
I have scanned the system for viruses and spyware with no problems
discovered.

Thanks, Robert
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 2:44:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Windows XP will periodically index your files for optimum
performance. It will also partially defrag your drive if it is
excessively fragmented. This occurs when your PC is idle
and is normal.

Windows XP's Built-In Optimization
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1149277,00.a...

If you wish to disable the Indexing Service, perform the following:
Go to Start > Run and type: SERVICES.MSC , and hit enter.
Scroll down to the "Indexing Service", right-click on it and select
Properties and set the Startup Type to Disabled, then click Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Robert" wrote:

| Sometimes my main disk drive gets very busy when I am not using the system.
| How can I find what is causing this?
| I have scanned the system for viruses and spyware with no problems
| discovered.
|
| Thanks, Robert



---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/9/2005 10:44:34 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:40:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Robert,

See also.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Robert" <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote in message
news:%23RviBvKVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Sometimes my main disk drive gets very busy when I am not using the
> system. How can I find what is causing this?
> I have scanned the system for viruses and spyware with no problems
> discovered.
>
> Thanks, Robert
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:50:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

BTW, that article was originally written for XP-Embedded. However, the
"EnableAutoLayout" registry setting very much applies to Windows XP Home and
Professional. Personally, I would not disable this feature, as it runs
during the idle time and does not affect my work anyway.

Description about this feature, as shown in Tweak UI screen:

"Optimize hard disk when idle" check box allows Windows to rearrange
files on the hard disk when the computer is not in use to improve
performance.

If you don't want this feature, you can disable the auto-optimization
feature using Tweak UI. Download/Install Tweak UI and run it. Look in the
General section, and uncheck "Optimize hard disk when idle".

TweakUI for Windows XP: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm

Manual registry edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\OptimalLayout

Value name: EnableAutoLayout
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Possible values: 1 | 0

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eivt1FLVFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Robert,
>
> See also.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
>
> "Robert" <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> news:%23RviBvKVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Sometimes my main disk drive gets very busy when I am not using the
>> system. How can I find what is causing this?
>> I have scanned the system for viruses and spyware with no problems
>> discovered.
>>
>> Thanks, Robert
May 10, 2005 1:50:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Got it! You MVPs are just great. Thanks a million.
Robert

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
news:uvrIwLLVFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> BTW, that article was originally written for XP-Embedded. However, the
> "EnableAutoLayout" registry setting very much applies to Windows XP Home
> and Professional. Personally, I would not disable this feature, as it runs
> during the idle time and does not affect my work anyway.
>
> Description about this feature, as shown in Tweak UI screen:
>
> "Optimize hard disk when idle" check box allows Windows to rearrange
> files on the hard disk when the computer is not in use to improve
> performance.
>
> If you don't want this feature, you can disable the auto-optimization
> feature using Tweak UI. Download/Install Tweak UI and run it. Look in the
> General section, and uncheck "Optimize hard disk when idle".
>
> TweakUI for Windows XP: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm
>
> Manual registry edit:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
> \SOFTWARE
> \Microsoft
> \Windows
> \CurrentVersion
> \OptimalLayout
>
> Value name: EnableAutoLayout
> Data Type: REG_DWORD
> Possible values: 1 | 0
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:eivt1FLVFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Robert,
>>
>> See also.
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>>
>> "Robert" <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23RviBvKVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Sometimes my main disk drive gets very busy when I am not using the
>>> system. How can I find what is causing this?
>>> I have scanned the system for viruses and spyware with no problems
>>> discovered.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Robert
>
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:23:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for the feedback! Robert.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Robert" <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote in message
news:%23QgMg5LVFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Got it! You MVPs are just great. Thanks a million.
> Robert
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:uvrIwLLVFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> BTW, that article was originally written for XP-Embedded. However, the
>> "EnableAutoLayout" registry setting very much applies to Windows XP Home
>> and Professional. Personally, I would not disable this feature, as it
>> runs during the idle time and does not affect my work anyway.
>>
>> Description about this feature, as shown in Tweak UI screen:
>>
>> "Optimize hard disk when idle" check box allows Windows to rearrange
>> files on the hard disk when the computer is not in use to improve
>> performance.
>>
>> If you don't want this feature, you can disable the auto-optimization
>> feature using Tweak UI. Download/Install Tweak UI and run it. Look in the
>> General section, and uncheck "Optimize hard disk when idle".
>>
>> TweakUI for Windows XP: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm
>>
>> Manual registry edit:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>> \SOFTWARE
>> \Microsoft
>> \Windows
>> \CurrentVersion
>> \OptimalLayout
>>
>> Value name: EnableAutoLayout
>> Data Type: REG_DWORD
>> Possible values: 1 | 0
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
!